Oil for New Nissan Note 1.6L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just when I found good 0w/5w20 oils for our Honda Fit and forester my new '14 Nissan is back to a 5w30.
I was thinking of using PBB dexos1 or AC delco. Anyone using these or similar oils in a newish small engine MT trans car? I'm open to well considered suggestion
smile.gif

The note is a nice little car - you got the same configuration I would get if I got one! Only thing I don't like is the under-the-body spare tire.

Don't they have like a 3 quart oil capacity? I'd run a good synthetic in that, especially since it's now DI.

The keywords here are "turbo" and "direct injection". This means high temperatures, high pressure and tiny piston rings, which could be easily clogged. You need very stable oil that don't lose additives. Mobil1 0W20, 0W30, 0W40, 5W30 ESP, Kendall GT, Liqui Moly, Castrol Titanium, Motocraft should be fine.
Avoid Havoline Synthetic, Toyota 0W20, Mobil Super Synthetic, Mazda 0W20, Castrol Syntec (except may be 0W30). Also I am quite sceptic about Pennzoil Ultra. At least europenian Shell Ultra is awful.
Not sure about Royal Purple, Amsoil and Valvoline Synpower, just don't have any data about it.
Hint: almost any synthetic blend should be fine.

Its not a turbo engine and nissan spec's 5w30
It has a very small sump. IIRC around 3-3.5qt with filter.

I'd use a brand name syn 5w30.

Originally Posted By: timeau
The keywords here are "turbo" and "direct injection". This means high temperatures, high pressure and tiny piston rings, which could be easily clogged. You need very stable oil that don't lose additives. Mobil1 0W20, 0W30, 0W40, 5W30 ESP, Kendall GT, Liqui Moly, Castrol Titanium, Motocraft should be fine.
Avoid Havoline Synthetic, Toyota 0W20, Mobil Super Synthetic, Mazda 0W20, Castrol Syntec (except may be 0W30). Also I am quite sceptic about Pennzoil Ultra. At least europenian Shell Ultra is awful.
Not sure about Royal Purple, Amsoil and Valvoline Synpower, just don't have any data about it.
Hint: almost any synthetic blend should be fine.

Last edited:
Any current spec full synth 5w30 is good enough. M1 0w30 is a winter option.

Oversized oil filter might bring you up to 4 quarts from the 3.7qts you have.

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech

Yeah, if it takes the same small Fram PH6607 that most older Nissans used, one can try one of the oversized options like the PH7317 and PH3593A if there is room. Same thread & gasket size and they are interchangeable.

I had no idea the oils on that list would lose additives.

You need very stable oil that don't lose additives. Mobil1 0W20, 0W30, 0W40, 5W30 ESP, Kendall GT, Liqui Moly, Castrol Titanium, Motocraft should be fine.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Its not a turbo engine and nissan spec's 5w30

O-o-op, sorry, I read it as Nissan Juke.... In this case use any brand mineral oil, this car does not need synthetic. Mobil Super or PYB are my favorite.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

But I do ;-) Do simplest test: take a spoon that you don't need anymore, take a lighter and heat oil from this list. You'll see something like this (left is OK, right is not):
338_900.jpg

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech

Yeah, if it takes the same small Fram PH6607 that most older Nissans used, one can try one of the oversized options like the PH7317 and PH3593A if there is room. Same thread & gasket size and they are interchangeable.
IIRC NIssan and Honda use same filter spec - I could use the "Honda-Fram blue can" that has the nice P-gasket and Si adbv.
Nissan spec 8+/- psi bypass according to wix. The Subaru Toyo-Roki should fit too, but that has a high bypass spec. Im not enthralled about running The O.E. China Nissan - but the one on the engine is doing fine at 170miles
smile.gif
This is a nice running 1.6L engine.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
The note is a nice little car - you got the same configuration I would get if I got one! Only thing I don't like is the under-the-body spare tire.

Don't they have like a 3 quart oil capacity? I'd run a good synthetic in that, especially since it's now DI.
Yeah that spare is odd - but the release is in the trunk floor - I think.
I would not pay more than $12500 like I did. This is a stuck in the "90's driving base subcompact - the Sentra is a HUGE improvement if it wasn't for the weak 1.8 in that car.
On the NOte. The Unibody is pretty shakey up front and the front suspension has "mystery" steering response that I might not be able to cope with
. The back seat is insanely, 'full size car' generous at 39 inches legroom - but I don't carry passengers.
Enjoy the wonderfull 1.6L engine though mated with the MT, just right for the car's 2400 lbs.
The 2015 FIt with the new 130 HP di and 6 speed MT is still likely the car to beat in this segment. The Local dealer had a base model for 16K$ but they sold it in one day, The previous gen Forte sedan was as near perfect as anything ever made in this segment. Hard to find for sale not beat up though.

The Nissan is made at a new factory in AguasCalientes, Mexico.

Last edited:
Ahh yes. The highly regarded Heated Spoon Test for Additive Loss. How could I have missed that.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

But I do ;-) Do simplest test: take a spoon that you don't need anymore, take a lighter and heat oil from this list. You'll see something like this (left is OK, right is not):

^^^^HAW! What a laugh.

The infamous burnt spoon test! The new standard in oil evaluation!

And he dissed Toyota's 0W-20, too.

Seriously, almost any branded synthetic in the spec'd weight is probably better than needed...

There isn't enough HP or torque in that versa note to break down the valvoline premium conventional.and filter are not coming from China .probably mexique.since a big pile of part come from there

It's my experience that when someone in an online forum has a hare-brained idea, it's best to leave them to it. Yeah, I occasionally forget that rule and ask a question for which I fully expect to receive a stupid answer, but I'm not surprised when that stupid answer comes my way.

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
There isn't enough HP or torque in that versa note to break down the valvoline premium conventional.and filter are not coming from China .probably mexique.since a big pile of part come from there
70 HP per litre is not so awful for easy street use. Nice torque bump from 1800-4500 compared to the Honda and smoother. Too bad the Nissan unitbody is a "flexible flyer". A Yaris is more impressive. Maybe I made a mistake. I'll give it another week.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: leeharvey418
It's my experience that when someone in an online forum has a hare-brained idea, it's best to leave them to it. Yeah, I occasionally forget that rule and ask a question for which I fully expect to receive a stupid answer, but I'm not surprised when that stupid answer comes my way.

I, for one, thought your forkin' answer was hilarious!

And I, like you, have learned that online forums generate a variety of responses. You may not like all of them...

Good luck with that 1.6 engine, its a mexican built POS that was built with Renault in a joint venture. We had one in our '13 Versa that was replaced at 7500 miles due to piston slap. I found it anemic to say the least, maybe its better in the '14 ??

After the second engine started making noise at 24k miles we walked into Nissan and demanded something be done, I ended up falling like a sucker and traded for the new Sentra S with 6 speed manual, the 1.8 is a bit better than the 1.6 but not by much. At least this one doesn't sound like a diesel... we'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back