2005 Audi A4 1.8t - Oil & Filter Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Taking over the changes on my girls convertible and wanted to ask everyone here what they suggest. Reason being she is paying $100 or thereabouts at the local mechanic for a change with full syn.

2005 Audi A4 1.8t 105k miles

Going to do Full Synthetic, and preferably 10k changes. Oil has been changed every 10k with syn.

I have checked the oil on numerous occasions and the engine consumes about 1qt-1.5 qts per Oil change interval, after about 7000 miles it will start consuming. On these occasions I used a 5w-40 for makeup oil. The oil also gets significantly black in this car around the 7k mark.

What viscosity and brand do you think I should be looking at? No leaks at all.

Thanks for all the help.

JC

Last edited:
Mobil 1 0w40 European formula, at walmart its $22-25 per 5.1 quart jug. It should only take 4.3 quarts so you have some left for top off. No other oil is such a good value.

Mobil 1 0W-40 synthetic motor oil meets or exceeds the requirements of:
API SN/SM/SL/SJ
ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4
Nissan GT-R

Mobil 1 0W-40 motor oil has the following builders approval:
MB-Approval 229.3
MB-Approval 229.5
BMW LONGLIFE OIL 01
VW 502 00
VW 505 00
PORSCHE A40

According to ExxonMobil, Mobil 1 0W-40 is of the following quality:
API CF
VW 503 01
SAAB
OPEL Long Life Service Fill GM-LL-A-025
OPEL Diesel Service Fill GM-LL-B-025
FIAT FIAT 9.55535 – M2
FIAT FIAT 9.55535 – N2
FIAT FIAT 9.55535 – Z2

100$ is not bad at all for a mechanic to change it. But anyway I'm pretty sure that car specs some type and weight that is not your everyday oil so I would consult the manual before dumping any old stuff in there.

M1 0w-40, Rotella T6, Castrol Edge 0w-30 or 0w-40; take your pick.

10,000 miles is pretty long for this motor. Check for sludge and consider a UOA if you're running it that long.

The Mahle or Mann filter recommendation is good.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Mobil 1 0w40 European formula, at walmart its $22-25 per 5.1 quart jug. It should only take 4.3 quarts so you have some left for top off. No other oil is such a good value.

Mobil 1 0W-40 synthetic motor oil meets or exceeds the requirements of:
API SN/SM/SL/SJ
ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4
Nissan GT-R

Mobil 1 0W-40 motor oil has the following builders approval:
MB-Approval 229.3
MB-Approval 229.5
BMW LONGLIFE OIL 01
VW 502 00
VW 505 00
PORSCHE A40

According to ExxonMobil, Mobil 1 0W-40 is of the following quality:
API CF
VW 503 01
SAAB
OPEL Long Life Service Fill GM-LL-A-025
OPEL Diesel Service Fill GM-LL-B-025
FIAT FIAT 9.55535 – M2
FIAT FIAT 9.55535 – N2
FIAT FIAT 9.55535 – Z2

+1

Be careful about what oil filter you use.

Audi changed the oil filter specification after you car was manufactured, to an oversized filter. Some sources will try to see you the older spec filter.

Any good quality filter will work. However, be careful about what filter you purchase because some are difficult to remove:
- Baldwin filters do not have flutes
- Mann W940/25 filters require a special tool

I have been using 5K OCIs, with no signs of coking or sludge.

As mentioned above, stick with European spec oils that meet VW 502 00 specifications. 5qt jugs of M1 0W50 at Walmart is your best bet. With the new filter spec your car will take 5 qts of oil.

When changing the oil, the filter will dump about a cup of oil. I put a bunch of paper towels under the filter to catch the oil. Some people use a milk jug with the bottom cut out.

There is a pocket in the engine block under the filter that will pool oil. Be sure to clean this out.

Large OD drain plug crush washers may leak.

Moving the coolant recovery tank will make oil filter removal easier. Remove the two screws and it should lift out. Hoses and cables are long enough so you can tilt it toward the front.

I have been using 5K OCIs with no sign of sludge or coking, at 90K miles.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440

10,000 miles is pretty long for this motor. Check for sludge and consider a UOA if you're running it that long.

This.

Aren't the 1.8T known for sludge issues? I'd use a quality synthetic and keep it to a 5k mile OCI. Unfortunately it doubles your cost compared to doing a 10k OCI, but the two oil changes still cost less than the $100 it was previously costing for each oil change.

A German built filter is better suited to this type of car, thats what I use in my Mercedes. Oil in the US market does not meet the stringent ACEA standards of Europe, keep your OCI within reason to preserve the longevity of your vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Dufus2
A German built filter is better suited to this type of car, thats what I use in my Mercedes. Oil in the US market does not meet the stringent ACEA standards of Europe, keep your OCI within reason to preserve the longevity of your vehicle.

If you plan to buy Bosch or Audi filters, they are not German built.

Bosch filters are Purolator and Audi filters sold in USA are made by Champion Labs, the last time I checked.

Originally Posted By: sicko

This.

Aren't the 1.8T known for sludge issues? I'd use a quality synthetic and keep it to a 5k mile OCI. Unfortunately it doubles your cost compared to doing a 10k OCI, but the two oil changes still cost less than the $100 it was previously costing for each oil change.

Only the longitudinal 1.8T's have the sludge issues.

transverse 1.8T's (Golf, GTI, Jetta & TT) have a larger crankcase capacity.

Wix 51452 or NAPAgold probably has better performance specs than the German ones.
Wix says theirs is 95% @ 20 microns, and German Mahle, Mann, Hengst keep it a secret.
I'd use the Wix since they're a solid choice, publish performance info, and use synthetic fibers mixed into their cellulose fibers.

Oil in the U.S. doesn't meet ACEA standards? Wrong. (I will not say anything snarky about this, but I really want to right now.)

Really?

.... so Mobil 1 0w40 does not meet the stringent ACEA standards of Europe?

so, Mobil 0w40 does not meet ACEA A3/B3 & ACEA A3/B4?

News to me.

I guess Shell is lying about the Rotella T6 also... since according to you, it does not meet ACEA standards.

Maybe Mobil oil is lying about its Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck meeting the stringent ACEA E7 issue 2 standards.

though for filters.... I'd just buy a 10-pack of the Mann oil filter.
http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-Quattro-1.8T/Engine/Filter/Oil_Filter/ES769/

Last edited:
I use Royal Purple 5w40 and 5w30 HPS for 10,000 miles in my Audi A6 albeit a different engine. Works well and spotless.

Just lower the oci to 500 mile less then when you begin seeing oil consumption.if you want to keep 10000 oci?I would use 0% ethanol gas.this should lessen the oil consumption issue .(probably more like fix it if the seal are still sealing properly

The 1.8t turbo motor requires a robust ACEA A3 oil. I used GC, German-made Castrol 0w30, in my 2.7t for 100K mi with excellent results. The GC is close to a 40 wt. M1 0w40 is my second choice.

I always used a German-made Mann filter, available in the USA. I bought them online from an Audi dealer. Other filters may work, but for the price of a cup or two of oil one can get the exact fitment.

Originally Posted By: williar
The 1.8t turbo motor requires a robust ACEA A3 oil. I used GC, German-made Castrol 0w30, in my 2.7t for 100K mi with excellent results. The GC is close to a 40 wt. M1 0w40 is my second choice.

I always used a German-made Mann filter, available in the USA. I bought them online from an Audi dealer. Other filters may work, but for the price of a cup or two of oil one can get the exact fitment.

That castrol synteq 0w-30 has got to be a great choice.

You can do better than the Mann oil filter. See the discussion at http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3453699/1

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
Originally Posted By: sicko

This.

Only the longitudinal 1.8T's have the sludge issues.

transverse 1.8T's (Golf, GTI, Jetta & TT) have a larger crankcase capacity.

The 2005 Audi A4 uses a longitudinal engine.

Use a premium filter, but you don't have to have a German-made filter. Some of the premium Wix and Fram filters have fully synthetic media and are built to high standards.

If you wait for Autozone or Advance to have a "Buy 5qt get a filter" sale, you usually get a premium filter when you buy synthetic. You can get M1 0w40 at both stores, you can get German Castrol 0w30 or Castrol 5w40, and at Advance you can get Castrol 0w40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back