Let the car cool off with the hood up ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some here may want to consider being tested for OCD
49.gif
48.gif

You will wear out the hood lock lol. I dont see any benefit from doing that, I did saw cop that doing some traffic duty, leave the hood open .

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
I leave the hood up on all cars if they have been just driven at a long stretch at hwy speeds. (more than 3-4 hrs)

Agreed. Now that would be a reason to cool it down......

Only when the car is running for extended periods. Sometimes popped the hood on the police cruiser when I knew it would be running for a while. Kept the engine temp down a bit and the AC cooler in the car.

I leave the hood up on all cars if they have been just driven at a long stretch at hwy speeds. (more than 3-4 hrs)

70 mph does a good job of cooling the engine off. Now stop and go traffic, with tons of idling is much hotter on the engine.

K. I'll bite.

How is 3-4 hours at highway speeds any different then 45 minutes in city traffic?
Or even 45 minutes at highway speeds. Once its hot its thermostatically controlled so if it takes your car 30 minutes to warm up it doesn't matter if you drive 15 hours at highway speeds because the engine is going to be the same temp regardless.
Air cooled engines are different and need moving air to dissipate heat.
And if it cools faster doesn't that mean there will be a thermal shock potentially increasing the chances of metal warping,whereas a slower cool down slows down the expansion as it cools.
Has carnoobie or ght hacked the op's account? The posts incoming from his camp lately could easily pass for one of them.
Or our new add. Mr purolater is wrecking vehicles.

I was under impression that tbird is an engineer by profession; am I mistaken? Some of his latest postings are contrary to his persona :-( For example, shifting the car in to park, "saving the brake light life" or "4 hours of highway driving brutal to engine" etc.

Has somebody hijacked his account?? :)

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I was under impression that tbird is an engineer by profession; am I mistaken?

Profile says clinical pharmacist.

Occupational exposure might actually explain a few things...

No one has hacked my account.
Leaving hood open doesn't harm, IMO (But I was never sure of the benefits either, and never claimed such). I also didn't say that "4 hrs of hwy driving is brutal" - that was totally made up!
i just gave an example of when I do it - I repeat: i don't KNOW that it's beneficial; I chimed in, because I noticed the thread title, and just added my comment that I am also one of those people who do it.
I am NOT the OP of THIS thread.

On the other thread about putting car in Park at long traffic light:

I NEVER said i do that for saving brake LIGHT BULB's life !!! It was someone else who talked about saving the bulb's life. I said I do it give my foot/ankle a rest, and perhaps thought it MIGHT reduce brake wear. (NOT BRAKE LIGHT BULB wear!)

Last edited:
It's not so much the 3-4 hour freeway drive or 45 minute city drive that beats on the engine as it is the thermal soak after shutdown, i.e., oil cokes onto the engine parts, fuel bakes onto the fuel injector nozzles.

No heat-soaking to worry about/deal with (back in carb days), so I no longer feel the need nor do I practice popping up the hood to cool off the engine after extended drive.

Q.

Another reason: Noticing when something's amiss. Yesterday when I went to close the hood, I spied a missing vacuum line between the intake manifold vac-tree and a solenoid. It's about 5" long. It had two rubber connectors on each end, separated by a piece of rigid, white tubing. Just completely gone...and recently gone to boot.

Fortunately I had some silicone tubing on hand. Talk about a large vac. leak...

Leaving the hood up also informed me one time when the coolant expansion tank was filled with chocolate-colored fluid.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I hose the engine down with water. I don't want oil to sit on all those hot parts and form sludge.

I installed a kit that uses a garden hose to flush the engine block like the newer outboards used in saltwater. You can never be too safe in getting your engine cooled down quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back