Autolite Spark Plugs- Any Good ? Made By Fram?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pulled the factory autolites out of a 2010 Ford 4.0L SOHC, 120Kish KMs, and those suckers put up full resistance to the very last thread.

Each one was dry and corroded. I'm used to cracking the seal and fingering them out, not wratcheting them hard to the bitter end.

Each plug was corroded and rusty on the threads.

Conclusion: garbage alloy, reactive finish. Yes, made by Fram, and yes replaced with another set of Mexican Autoliltes unfortunately.

Been running autolites in my Fords and Harleys for many years now. Never had a problem and I will continue to use them.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Autolites aren't factory, Motorcraft plugs are, FWIW.

Who makes the Motorcraft OEM? Talking about the ones with the blue stripes on the insulator?

Originally Posted By: jrustles

Who makes the Motorcraft OEM? Talking about the ones with the blue stripes on the insulator?

I think it varies by plug model, I am sure many (most?) of them are made by Rank (Autolite), but they would be made to Ford's spec's.

These ones are obviously made by Autolite/Rank/FRAM:
7538-10943-170388.jpg

But you will note the threads are a different colour, as is the nipple on the top, which has a different coating on it.

But you will note the threads are a different colour, as is the nipple on the top, which has a different coating on it.

Well you have to make it a little different if you're going to charge twice the price...

Originally Posted By: Bluestream

Well you have to make it a little different if you're going to charge twice the price...

LOL! Well, they aren't at our local dealer (about the same price actually) but I'm sure that's the case as it is with many other parts at dealers 'round the globe.

I am also an Autolite plug fan. I cannot count how many tune ups I've done with the single, double and XP line of plugs and never any complaints and I use them in my personal vehicles too. Always a rebate too.

Originally Posted By: jrustles

I think it varies by plug model, I am sure many (most?) of them are made by Rank (Autolite), but they would be made to Ford's spec's.

These ones are obviously made by Autolite/Rank/FRAM:
7538-10943-170388.jpg

Thanks. Figured they were made by FRAM, and true the OEMs did lack the black coating of the Aftermarket Autolites, presumably hastening the corrosion. Just too bad that engine didn't get shipped with a set of FoMoCo branded NGKs like the Duratecs

but they would be made to Ford's spec's.

Interesting. Never paid attention to that.

I had also heard NGK made a bunch of the newer Ford plugs. I just use OEM - they are cheap enough and won't cause problems.

If you look at many current Ford passenger cars (Focus, Fiesta, Fusion/Mondeo, Transit, Edge) which BTW were designed and engineered in Germany, you'll find that Bosch and Beru are OEM in those models. Not to mention that many electrical
components are Bosch as well.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
If you look at many current Ford passenger cars (Focus, Fiesta, Fusion/Mondeo, Transit, Edge) which BTW were designed and engineered in Germany, you'll find that Bosch and Beru are OEM in those models. Not to mention that many electrical
components are Bosch as well.

They have always had plenty of Bosch parts. EEC-IV was co-developed by Ford, Intel and Bosch. Most of the sensors, injectors....etc were Bosch units on those vehicles.

2005 Ford Focus SE

AP104 Autolite are nothing like the Motorcraft Platinum fine wire plugs that came standard. I think they were NGK. But the online Autolite catalog shows AP104 to be the OE replacement plug, so I am comfortable running them. Since they were installed at the shop 6 months ago I am dieing to pull them. I want to check condition, gap, and I want to check for presence of the platinum disc.

Since the car is running well would you just leave them alone if you were me? Plugs are a b*tch to pull because they give strong turning resistance almost all the way out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back