Formula Shell 5w-30 SM

Status
Not open for further replies.
MILES ON OIL 1,593 MILES ON UNIT 50,318 SAMPLE DATE 7/31/14 ALUMINUM 2 CHROMIUM 0 IRON 3 COPPER 3 LEAD 4 TIN 2 MOLY 289 NICKEL 0 MANGANESE 0 SILVER 0 TITANIUM 0 POTASSIUM 10 BORON 36 SILICON 11 SODIUM 61 CALCIUM 1776 MAGNESIUM 6 PHOSPHORUS 672 ZINC 774 BARIUM 0 SUS @ 210 59.3 cST @ 100 10.03 FLASHPOINT 400 FUEL ANTIFREEZE % 0.12 INSOLUBLES % 0.1 WATER % 0.0 2002 S10 4.3 V6, oil was in use for 15 months. Checking for coolant in the oil. The fill was 4 qts of the formula shell 1/2 qt of Rotella 15w-40

Reads like the nutritional value on the side of a candy bar wrapper.
smile.gif

The wear metals are low and the additive package is about normal for an SM oil. Silicon(check the air filter seal) and sodium(possibly coolant or the oil itself) are up but, not sure if this is cause for alram!

Looks good - those 4.3L Chevy engines are unkillable - you can run anything in them and they don't complain. Report back in 10 years.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
Looks good - those 4.3L Chevy engines are unkillable - you can run anything in them and they don't complain. Report back in 10 years.

Unless the intake manifold gasket gives out. The same can be said for the 3800 Series II.

Anyways, it does look like there is coolant in this sample, as evidenced by the sodium and potassium. Rotella and Formula Shell do not use sodium in their add-pack as far as I know.

Mine had a lower intake manifold leak that eventually leaked enough coolant into the oil that it made the lifters stick. After fixing the gasket with a updated one, no more issues. I believe these engines are known for leaking manifold gaskets.

Should I flush out the antifreeze and go to something like peak global. Would this buy me more time till I get it fixed. Once the damage is done it will only get worse. I watched videos on the internet on how to replace the gasket. I don't know if I want to tackle something like this. I tried for 3 days to code block or imaged the results on the test forum that was the best I could do. I did figure out how to delete post and highlight.

Originally Posted By: bblank
Should I flush out the antifreeze and go to something like peak global. Would this buy me more time till I get it fixed. Once the damage is done it will only get worse. I watched videos on the internet on how to replace the gasket. I don't know if I want to tackle something like this. I tried for 3 days to code block or imaged the results on the test forum that was the best I could do. I did figure out how to delete post and highlight.

I think you'd have more luck using a stop leak in your coolant rather than changing the type of coolant. We had good luck using Bar's Stop Leak in my sister's 2001 Windstar that had a blown head gasket.

No point in my opinion to changing the coolant until you fix the problem. Not sure about the stop leak stuff and have read bad things about it. if you use it be just follow the directions carefully. I believe most of them you need to remove the T-stat first but not sure. I have read about them becoming sticky if you dont remove it before adding the additive. I did mine myself with the Haynes manual in about 5-6 hours. I believe you will pay 500 dollars or more to pay a shop to do it. Here is a link that closely resembles what you will be in for if you tackle this job

http://www.handymanlyness.com/archives/a...e_99_Jimmy.html

The Potassium level combined with the Sodium indicates a LIM gasket failure, IMHO.
The report even indicates that some coolant is in the oil, which your rarely see even when this is the case.
It isn't bad yet, since wear metals are okay, but I'd attend to it ASAP.
This UOA is a good example of how valuable they can be.

Last time I had engine gasket issue,Mercedes had messed up .how they made a great engine sold in EU, I believe then dd was wanting those ,so Mercedes raised the HP and all to 425 but the issue was there wasn't enough clamping in the head area so every 18 month I needed a head gasket job on those series 55 Detroit diesel (Mercedes)

Good Lord, I could barely read that.

Here:
Quote:

2002 S10 4.3 V6, oil was in use for 15 months. Checking for coolant in the oil. The fill was 4 qts of the formula shell 1/2 qt of Rotella 15w-40.

MILES ON OIL 1,593
MILES ON UNIT 50,318
SAMPLE DATE 7/31/14
ALUMINUM 2
CHROMIUM 0
IRON 3
COPPER 3
LEAD 4
TIN 2
MOLY 289
NICKEL 0
MANGANESE 0