Looking for decent all season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 99Saturn
Originally Posted By: rhhsiao
Just to chime in real quick about the Cooper CS5s. I put these on my girlfriend's CR-V as part of the America's Tire sale around July 4 and they've since seen about 2K miles. Overall, a solid tire. They are vastly superior to the junk she had on previously (2 Hankook 724s and 2 Kumho Mileage Plus). The CS5s are quieter, have a much better ride and far better turning/cornering. There is a slight increase in whine/hum at around 70MPH which gets magnified a bit in the wet/rain. Thanks to the massive dump of rain in the San Bernardino mountains on our way back from Vegas this past weekend, I was able to see how they held up in the rain which was a bit ridiculous for Southern California (up to 4 inches in an hour!). The tires held up beautifully; hardly a shimmy or slip even at 60MPH+ in the rain. Never felt the car losing much if any grip or have any issues in the deluge. Pretty impressed. Overall, I am happy with these tires. At the time of purchase, I was deciding between the General RT43s and these, but the CS5 had a bigger rebate so I went with Cooper. Not having experience with the General tire, I have to say I am happy with the purchase and America's Tire definitely impressed me with their level of service. Will definitely be looking to get tires from them from now on.

Were those the Ultra Touring or the Grand Touring CS5s?

Grand Touring

Supton, the Michelin Primacy mxv4's I have on the Accord have almost 70k on them and are showing 5-6/32 tread wear left with regular rotations. What gives with the Camry at 30k on the tires? That is surprising.

My car also calls for (v) rated but I put (h)rated Primacy's on with no ill effect.

Have you looked at the Continental ProContact Eco Plus? I'm leaning heavily in that direction for replacements for the MXV4's, when the time comes. Very solid reviews on TireRack. Seem like a good value to boot.

Want low noise snow traction. Well, reasonable winter performance. They cancel school pretty quickly up here, so it gets lightly driven when the weather goes bad.

No idea on the wear. My Jetta ate tires like this too. I think this size, in h rating has a low rating of 500, rather than the 700 of the other sizes.

Originally Posted By: rhhsiao
Just to chime in real quick about the Cooper CS5s. I put these on my girlfriend's CR-V as part of the America's Tire sale around July 4 and they've since seen about 2K miles. Overall, a solid tire. They are vastly superior to the junk she had on previously (2 Hankook 724s and 2 Kumho Mileage Plus). The CS5s are quieter, have a much better ride and far better turning/cornering. There is a slight increase in whine/hum at around 70MPH which gets magnified a bit in the wet/rain. Thanks to the massive dump of rain in the San Bernardino mountains on our way back from Vegas this past weekend, I was able to see how they held up in the rain which was a bit ridiculous for Southern California (up to 4 inches in an hour!). The tires held up beautifully; hardly a shimmy or slip even at 60MPH+ in the rain. Never felt the car losing much if any grip or have any issues in the deluge. Pretty impressed. Overall, I am happy with these tires. At the time of purchase, I was deciding between the General RT43s and these, but the CS5 had a bigger rebate so I went with Cooper. Not having experience with the General tire, I have to say I am happy with the purchase and America's Tire definitely impressed me with their level of service. Will definitely be looking to get tires from them from now on.

This is the best personal review of the CS5's I have read yet!
I can't seem to find much other than some testing from Cooper themselves and a bunch of reviews that only have information/specs from Cooper Tire Co.

I have read about 4 reviews from DTD or TD which seem promising. I have the CS4's for the summer on my Altima and like'em OK but, we can't seem to really get a good balance with'em at hiwy speeds.

The speed rating portion will always throw a wrench. If you buy snow tires from almost any brand you'll probably wind up with a Q rating and all manufacturers and tire places recommend them on all 4 wheels not just 2 but they won't let you get a different rating on the 3 season ones.

I went to Costco and got the 215/60/16 Primacy MXV4 H rated for the Sonata (yes it spec'd V for the 4cyl 5speed). I had to sign the paper saying I knew it was a different speed rating. I think the original numbers are off on this post as what I saw was in this size the H rated had 2/32" MORE tread, and better wear rating, they were also cheaper. Since my "older" cars I used to UPGRADE to H- rated for better performance, I'm ok with that on here. Unless I was at max possible speed before getting gravity assist falling off a cliff, this thing will NEVER see 130mph.

I do run snows as the $500-600 outlay (including spare rims) that lasts many seasons is less than my insurance deductible. The difference in winter grip is definitely noticeable. Being able to stop, turn or avoid an accident just once is worth the price.

I had WRG2's and they were good. When they wore down to 4/32" and it snowed was the only time I was actually contemplating turning around and going home. First time in my life I felt uncomfortable and white knuckled driving my own car in winter. Conti ExtremeWinterContact went on all 4 next day. I usually refuse to drive others vehicles for that reason as the all season does not compare. Tirerack or CRs test showed that the worst winter tire tested out of the group (Firestone) still had 40% better grip than the best all season. Your wife and kids, your $600, your call.

The new Michelin Premier A/S is supposed to be good. I like the Conti PureContact also. When reading TR reviews for snow make a big note to see WHERE the reviews are from. I got stuck with some Conti CrossContact LX for the Sequoia that were getting good snow ratings but were newer. I was "saving money" over the Michelin I wanted. Since they were new and my Nokian Snows were shot I gave them a shot for the first winter 3 light snowfalls in a week and I bought new Altimax Arctics for the truck.

All the ratings were from places were I don't consider them getting much snow/ice. That or the people never really owned snow tires. The CrossContact was so bad that my wife drove a couple blocks, came back and parked her 4WD Sequoia and took my FWD Sonata. I took truck out and almost wrecked it trying to stop at an intersection and I was EXPECTING it to be bad and need extra distance.

My favorite all season tires I've had were Pirelli P4 all seasons and Uniroyal Tiger Paws. These tires rocked in the snow.

I love my Pirelli P4(purchaced in Oct '08) and only use in the winter. This coming winter('14-'15) will be my 7th winter. Still lots of tread remaining and I just love these tires on the Altima that I run'em on!
smile.gif

Now you're making me wonder if RT43's are good to try out.

I have the General Altimax RT43 tires on my wife's car(2004 Pontiac Grand Prix) and they are by far the quietest tires we have ever had on the car. They are great in all snow conditions including semi-deep snow(6-8") but lack ice traction.

I have the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus tires on my car (2012 Subaru Impreza) and they too are very quiet. They too are great in all snow conditions and had no trouble with ice(my car has an unfair advantage due to my AWD system).

Overall I would safely recommend both of these tires to someone looking for smooth riding, quiet, all-season tires. I should note that I ordered all 8 of these tires online, the RT43s from TireBuyer and the P7s from Discount Tire Direct's Ebay store, and one of the RT43s is out-of-round.

Another excellent tire that I have is the Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring. I used them for 63K miles through all sorts of horrible conditions and they were amazing in the snow. They don't do as great in the reviews but as someone who drove through two Central NY winters with them I can attest to their winter weather prowess. These tires have a 70K warranty but if the tread-wear continues as they have been, I will be hitting 5/32"(minimum tread-depth for winter use) at approximately 108K miles.

BTW Discount Tire Direct is having a $100 off of a purchase of $400 or more and free shipping at their eBay store if you use PayPal. Coupon code is CMOTORS0806. It is good until 20 August 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back