Got a job at jiffy lube,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

uhhh,,, no haha, show me one quick lube shop that does.

Yea really..be happy if the plug gets put back in.
smile.gif

My wife got a quicky lube job done recently. I had to nearly use a pry bar to get the oil plug loose. And I noticed they spray painted the oil plug and oil filter. What is the deal with spraypainting someone's car?

Quote:

My wife got a quicky lube job done recently. I had to nearly use a pry bar to get the oil plug loose. And I noticed they spray painted the oil plug and oil filter. What is the deal with spraypainting someone's car?

That's the usual result of a minimum wage earning teenager with an impact wrench. As for the spraypaint, I don't know what to say to that, besides, well not to go there anymore. I only paid for 2 oil changes (at a much more expensive midas shop, not a cheap quicklube place) before I started DIYing after my dipstick read more than 1" over the "F" mark after their oil change. There are many people who take pride in their jobs, but many of them can't even do that as they are being rushed to get as many cars in&out as fast as possible, and make mistakes. The rest just dont care. Finding someone reliable to service your car for a reasonable price is pretty difficult. I found it was better to invest in a lot of tools and a lot of learning. I've caused a lot less damage to my car making rookie mistakes working on it than "pro's" have rushing it out of the shop.

Quote:

Quote:

uhhh,,, no haha, show me one quick lube shop that does.

Yea really..be happy if the plug gets put back in.
smile.gif

Speedco not only torques the Engine, Trans, and Diffs they make you watch them doing it.
Of course they only do Heavy Trucks. Guess they dont want to buy a $30,000 engine or $10,000 Trans or Rear Axle.

I don't get time to use a Torque wrench, we don't even have one. we don't have an impact in the pits either, only regular ratchets and wrenches. I wouldn't have time to use a torque, the manager complains about how slow i am, even though he asks me to do things that were not even on my job discritption? Of course i can't do top tech flawlessly when you only hired and trained me to work in the pits. This job isn't worth the #@$%! we get payed, my teacher is finding me a job at the ford dealer soon

Crooked customers with engine problems often have service performed, drive couple miles from shop and loosen plug or filter so shop has to buy them new engine. Spray paint is to show tampering. Most usually just use paint stick marker though.

Bob

Paint is used instead of the "anti-tamper" marker. Every other month a new color is used. Someplaces a double check is required (another person rechecks the works). However, everything depends on the individual's work ethics, job performances, and responsibility. Even at those places where it was "double-check", claims happen daily. KieferS, stick to your high standards...at least there is one quick lube place that might be worth trying!

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
True story. I worked at a Jiffy Lube for 1 week when I was around 16 - a loooongg time ago. Now, my dad always taught me not to do a job unless it's done right and other good morals which I live for still today. Anyhow - I started as an upper bay tech, vacuum the interior, add the oil ect. Then was being trained on the lower tech - dropping the oil and changing the filter,etc. I remember this like it was yesterday - the manager told me that if there was already a Jiffy Lube filter on the car, just use the windex and wipe it off to look new. Don't change it! I quit on the spot and left. Dad was proud.

When I get too old to change my oil, I am going to have the Toyota dealer do it. No Jiffy Lube or any other quick service for me.Those places have idiots working for them who don't know squat beyond what they have been told.

Yup...my local jiffy lube just paid for a transmission for my GF's Subaru Forrester, drained ATF, over filled oil, poof tyranny gone in the parking lot. Funny thing was the Subaru dealership says they see two or three every month that they screw up

Originally Posted By: Jaxyaks
Yup...my local jiffy lube just paid for a transmission for my GF's Subaru Forrester, drained ATF, over filled oil, poof tyranny gone in the parking lot. Funny thing was the Subaru dealership says they see two or three every month that they screw up

I've now heard the same story from 3 separate people; with the oddities of Subaru engine/drivetrain you would think they would have a full color poster in the pit warning the techs of this issue.

Originally Posted By: ShifterStang
Different questions for you, KieferS:

Do you actually use a torque wrench when putting the drain bolt on? If so, do you use the actual factory torque specs? They differ. I know my 4.6 05 Mustang has what I think is a very low factory torque spec.

I would venture to say most BITOG members don't use torque wenches.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: ShifterStang
Different questions for you, KieferS:

Do you actually use a torque wrench when putting the drain bolt on? If so, do you use the actual factory torque specs? They differ. I know my 4.6 05 Mustang has what I think is a very low factory torque spec.

I would venture to say most BITOG members don't use torque wenches.

Torque wrench?

Wha? These are my torque specs:

Snug, a little tighter, really tight, and gorilla-wrenched on.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: bluesubie
Holy pscholte resurrection Batman! Do you emerge from the forest only every 2-3 years?
grin2.gif

Some people might consider it more of a haunting
crazy2.gif

PS. From the tone of some of the posts I see here I'm thinking the Elves are not such a bad lot at all. At least they are unfailingly civil. You know there may be things to be outraged about; engine oil is not one if those things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back