Looking for decent all season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continental DWS have been getting very positive feedback, although personally I find that the sidewalls are too soft.

The only All-Season tire I use at all are Pilot A/S, well also Pirelli P Zero Rosso, because they feel closer to a summer tire, have sturdy sidewalls and aggressive tread with block shoulders (running - 2.5 to -3.7 camber makes this important!), and they last quite a while.

I am at Costco right now. The Turanza Serenity Plus are $128/tire, and the installation is $15/tire and it includes road hazard and lifetime balance.

Costco is also running an instant $70 off, so the out the door total is under $600.

OP has a Camry - DWS, Pirelli P zero Nero, and Pilot SS etc are UHP (Ultra High Performance) AS; why would he need those? I think a decent GT AS like Altimax HP or Altimax RT should be fine for his needs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 99Saturn
+1 on the P4s, I have them on out Saturn, pretty good in the snow. My brother has defenders on his van, no complaints from him, actually if I can get a deal on the defenders I want to try them next on the Saturn or Cruze.

Add: Also I saw these looking though snow reviews. No idea if they do as well as the surveys say though.

Cinturato P7 All Season Plus

I wonder what the OP ended up going with. After running Pirelli's for the past few years on my Mustangs, (PZero Nero), and liking them very much, I put a set of Pirelli P4's on my Mazda3. I do about 150 miles a day commuting, and they were aces, and I need tires that can last, as I don't want to be replacing them yearly if I can avoid it... I recently traded in my Mazda so Mrs. could get her new Crosstrek, and when I inherited her 2012 Forester at 22K mi, I ran the stock Bridgestones to 29K and just put a set of Pirelli P4's on it last week. They are light years better than the Bridgestones in wet/snowy weather, and have a nice solid road feel.
I was also looking at the Defenders, but got a great price on the P4's.
Mike B

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: supton
Here's the thing: I'm finding that when it snows, we tend to be more home bound. School gets canceled so she has little need to venture out. Slush and snow when school is running late, sure; but not 3' deep. Her car has traction control, and a clutch, and she was content with the original tires. So why mess with snows? Why not just a decent all season?

I used to be a Nokian guy, but none of the sets I had made it past 40k (Hakka 2, Nordman 2, i3, WRG2, and now enTyre) on the Jetta. Heck this Camry has yet to exceed 30k. So I'm feeling a bit burned. //
Here are some typical NH conditions. This was on my way up to the office a few years ago.

If you could accurately predict when it was or was not going to snow, you wouldn't be worrying about the few extra dollars for snow tires: because you would be a very rich man.

We've tried a number of "All Season" tires since we have a fleet of five service vehicles that travel all over New England. I would not let my wife drive on any of them in winter conditions.

Johns and Sons Tires in Manchester has good prices on Nokian WRG3's.

i-9DdV4WM-L.jpg

i-ghTKxsR-L.jpg

i-DVLpKzS-L.jpg

i-3F2mc5G-L.jpg

Last edited:
WRG2 are an expensive solution, with what, one season of life? I tried those on the Jetta, and they lasted 30k--I usually get 40k with other tires. This Camry so far is doing less per set. Toss in the use of snows for five months and hence my reluctance. [on around Thanksgiving, off in late April.]

I'm bumping this thread because, umm, I never got around to buying tires, and now I really really need to. Any changes in tire recommendations? I'd love to try out the new Michelin A/S's (no winter min tread depth here, so no worries about that) but I'm leaning towards the more cheap General RT43's as I have a tough time believing I'll get more than 40k out of the tires. I don't plan to keep going back to a tire shop for rotations, hence I don't think the tread warranty is useful.

LOL - thread revival.

The RT43s seem to get very good reviews on here. Particularly in the winter arena for those not putting on snow tires. I really hope they last (mileage) but seems too early to tell from reviews. I'm sure you've seen those already.

Did the Pirelli P7s (all season plus, I think) come up in the last 4 pages? Also some good reviews on here. I think Char Baby has a review up. I'm eying these for one of our cars currently.

Edit: Oh and if you can hold out until Labor day and look for a DTD sale, I was able to score some pretty cheap CS5s and RT43s over July 4th.

Last edited:
I'm bumping this thread because, umm, I never got around to buying tires, and now I really really need to. Any changes in tire recommendations? I'd love to try out the new Michelin A/S's (no winter min tread depth here, so no worries about that) but I'm leaning towards the more cheap General RT43's as I have a tough time believing I'll get more than 40k out of the tires. I don't plan to keep going back to a tire shop for rotations, hence I don't think the tread warranty is useful.

If you need to buy right now and also need V-rated rubber that's good (for an AS) in winter, I suggest the GY ACT. Here it is for $488 shipped to door from DTD. With the $80 GY rebate that's $408 plus install. http://is.gd/vNUnOt

The speed rating issue is a bummer, for a DD four-banger Camry, especially in a NH winter. For reasons I don't get, the Camry and Sonata of that time-frame, (2006/7-10/11) specced V-rated tires even for base four-cylinder trims. If you want to be daring and try to get H-rated tires installed---which should more than meet your needs---the options expand.

LOL - thread revival.

The RT43s seem to get very good reviews on here. Particularly in the winter arena for those not putting on snow tires. I really hope they last (mileage) but seems too early to tell from reviews. I'm sure you've seen those already.

Did the Pirelli P7s (all season plus, I think) come up in the last 4 pages? Also some good reviews on here. I think Char Baby has a review up. I'm eying these for one of our cars currently.

Edit: Oh and if you can hold out until Labor day and look for a DTD sale, I was able to score some pretty cheap CS5s and RT43s over July 4th.

Yeah, analysis paralysis kicked in, and I simply didn't do anything. Plus this winter wasn't that bad, and the thin tread was ok on the MXV4's, just enough to get by.

Didn't realize that DTD did free shipping; $96/tire on the RT43's. IIRC the local garage does mount/balance for $20/tire.

Did see the Pirelli recommendation, so, I'll add it to my list. I just found the spreadsheet I was working on last year, with my tire options and pricing. Pirelli P4 (P7 also?) will have to get added.

Can hold out a bit longer, inspection isn't until Feb, and the wear bars are just even now. But wet traction is definately not very good anymore, so I would like to get replaced this summer--granted, we are going into the dry season I'd think.

tirecrazy.com has the Pirelli P7 Plus in 215/60R16 95V for $92 each with a free shipping promo right now. I've found them to be the least expensive for Pirelli P7 Plus tires. And most places should price-match (after freight but tirecrazy usually always have a free shipping promo). I have no affiliation with tirecrazy btw, just passing along the place I've found to be the least expensive for Pirelli P7 plus tires.

In that application, I'd go with the P7+. My mother has the P7+ on her '10 Mazda3 in a 205/50R17 93H and to me it handles well (even better than the original V-rated Yokohamas), is quiet and grips well in wet and dry. It should be smoother and quieter than the P4 (even the newer P4+) and possibly quieter than the General RT43 just based on the tread pattern design. On the other hand, it appears General/Continental is producing a lot of their newer tires in the USA. I think the Pirelli P7+/P4+ are being made mostly in Mexico.

Aside: One of the differences I've been able to tell so far between the P4 and newer P4+ is that the P4+ plies/belts construction seems to follow the same construction that of the P7+. For example, in a 205/55R16 P4+, the innerliner (visually, of course there could be a technical difference) and plies (tread: 2 steel, 2 polyester, 1 polyamide, sidewall: 2 polyester) are the same between the P7+ and the P4+, even the shape of the P4+ tire unmounted very closely matches that of the P7+). Speculation on my part; perhaps it is more economical for Pirelli to use the same shell and just change the tread compound and tread pattern/design? This is all just from what I've observed working at the tire shop when I receive tires. Pirelli doesn't have any info yet on the P4+

Those P7's seem to be liked on TR but they seem too good to be true. Not enough reviews? The RT43's seem to have better ratings than the P4's.

So far I've only really been happy with one tire shop that I've gone to (no upsells, four post lift, nice waiting area); and ironically they sell mostly Nokian, go figure. I don't think the wife will let me do WRG2's, as I complained about short life and noise when I had them.

Edit: just noticed something interesting: the RT43's have a UTQG of 700AB for 16" rims and larger. But 600AB for 15" and less. Odd. I was tempted to buy a set for the Jetta while I was at it, as the entyres are scary in the wet now (2mm tread outer / 1mm left in the center--they did not like 40psi at all!).

Last edited:
Those P7's seem to be liked on TR but they seem too good to be true. Not enough reviews? The RT43's seem to have better ratings than the P4's.

As of right now those survey results are based on 97 submissions for the RT43s and 189 submissions for the P7s. P4s just for comparison says 476 submissions.

Not sure what validity (if any) that puts behind each set of numbers. Just as an observer on the sidelines, those survey results for a lot of tires seem to trend down over time, makes sense as people rack up more miles and have issues / complaints. IIRC the P7s were once dark green or superior in all categories, and the RT43s were either the same or rated slight lower, though I don't think the two tires are really apples to apples.
--
Personally I have the P4s on our Saturn, I would have to look but I think they have ~55K and 5/32nds left. They have served well (even in the winter) but I would probably go with some newer technology instead. I haven't personally ran either the RT43s or the P7s (though I have a set of the RT43s in the garage for the Saturn, and am keeping one eye on a rebate for the P7s another car), but I have the exact same concern as you (numbers too good to be true). I believe this past winter was the first winter both of these tires were out, so everyone that had them are evaluating brand new.

Off Topic (sort of): I had bought the Kumho KR21s also based on the TR survey results one October, and regretted it quickly. IIRC, at the time they were rated pretty high in the category, I looked at the end of that winter, and saw how much their rating dropped in 3 to 4 months.

Last edited:
LOL - thread revival.

Yeah, I missed the DTD 4th of July sale. Man, I'm sorry that I did!
frown.gif

But yes, I just installed the Pirelli P7 Cinturato A/S + on my doughter's '06 mazda 3i in 205-55-16 but, she has only driven on them since May and snow/ice tirse for the winter. They are very quiet(even quieter than her previous Hankook Optimo H727 - "T") and are "H" rated which her car requires.

At my request, my SIL installed the P7 A/S+ on her '03 Mitisbishi Outlander 2WD in Jan-Feb '14 timeframe and said that they were the best tire on this CUV since new. And we got quite a bit of snow/ice as did the whole North East U.S.

My SIL(Mitsu Outlndr) had no issues traveling along Lake Ontario into the city everyday with this 2WD for work and home again during the 5pm traffic. She's very happy with the winter traction on snow/ice and loves the quiet of the new P7's.

In both cases, the ride is good/firm-er and handling is very good and the MPG is only slightly better(LRR).

Quickly and sidetrack: I also have Pirelli P4's(since 2009) on my '04 Altima 2.5S which I only use in the winter months... I Love'em!

I can't answer for what to use on Supton's Camry without doing more research. But, if the Genreal RT43's are available in the size and speed rating, I would deffinately consider them as well as the Pierlli P7 A/S+.

Both tires are getting wonderfull reviews! Look at the Tire Racks new winter/snow/ice test on both of these A/S tires. It's available now!!!

The Tire Rack is using RWD BMWs for their tests. IIRC, the Hankook H727 still does the best for an A/S tire in snow/ice(with the RT43 close behind) but, the H727 is only available in "T" speed rating where as the RT43 and P7's are available in "H & V" as well!

I would focus on these two tires(RT43 & P7's) along with the new Cooper CS5's which the tire rack DOES NOT SELL. But, DTD and TreadDepot both do!

Last edited:
Just to chime in real quick about the Cooper CS5s. I put these on my girlfriend's CR-V as part of the America's Tire sale around July 4 and they've since seen about 2K miles. Overall, a solid tire. They are vastly superior to the junk she had on previously (2 Hankook 724s and 2 Kumho Mileage Plus). The CS5s are quieter, have a much better ride and far better turning/cornering. There is a slight increase in whine/hum at around 70MPH which gets magnified a bit in the wet/rain. Thanks to the massive dump of rain in the San Bernardino mountains on our way back from Vegas this past weekend, I was able to see how they held up in the rain which was a bit ridiculous for Southern California (up to 4 inches in an hour!). The tires held up beautifully; hardly a shimmy or slip even at 60MPH+ in the rain. Never felt the car losing much if any grip or have any issues in the deluge. Pretty impressed. Overall, I am happy with these tires. At the time of purchase, I was deciding between the General RT43s and these, but the CS5 had a bigger rebate so I went with Cooper. Not having experience with the General tire, I have to say I am happy with the purchase and America's Tire definitely impressed me with their level of service. Will definitely be looking to get tires from them from now on.

Originally Posted By: rhhsiao
Just to chime in real quick about the Cooper CS5s. I put these on my girlfriend's CR-V as part of the America's Tire sale around July 4 and they've since seen about 2K miles. Overall, a solid tire. They are vastly superior to the junk she had on previously (2 Hankook 724s and 2 Kumho Mileage Plus). The CS5s are quieter, have a much better ride and far better turning/cornering. There is a slight increase in whine/hum at around 70MPH which gets magnified a bit in the wet/rain. Thanks to the massive dump of rain in the San Bernardino mountains on our way back from Vegas this past weekend, I was able to see how they held up in the rain which was a bit ridiculous for Southern California (up to 4 inches in an hour!). The tires held up beautifully; hardly a shimmy or slip even at 60MPH+ in the rain. Never felt the car losing much if any grip or have any issues in the deluge. Pretty impressed. Overall, I am happy with these tires. At the time of purchase, I was deciding between the General RT43s and these, but the CS5 had a bigger rebate so I went with Cooper. Not having experience with the General tire, I have to say I am happy with the purchase and America's Tire definitely impressed me with their level of service. Will definitely be looking to get tires from them from now on.

Were those the Ultra Touring or the Grand Touring CS5s?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back