New Borla exhaust for the Track Pack

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally got around to ordering an exhaust for the '14, and ordered a Borla ATAK cat-back from Amazon. Their price was literally the cheapest by a few hundred dollars. Everything was awesome until Box 1 of 2 was thrown out the back of a UPS truck in front of my house and one of the Over-the-Axle pipes was damaged and Box 2 of 2 was MIA. Box 2 of 2 arrived today and Amazon is searching for a known good Box 1 of 2 to ship with better packaging. I am debating polishing the rest of the muffler besides the tips before installing them.

Here is the damaged pipe, for as much as the thing cost, I am not about to have it fixed and hope it seals.

The tips are almost comically large, but should look awesome on the car.

I chose the ATAKs because they are the loudest "legal" muffler Borla offers for the new Mustangs. Plus the company is headquartered locally and the quality of the product is second to none.

No offense but loudest isn't always best. About 6 years ago a friend of mine got several tickets for his exhaust. Ultimately "legal" comes down to the cop that might pull you over.

The ATAKs have the raspiness of the Stinger, but at a higher volume. I just couldn't live with a Flowmaster dump-truck special exhaust.

My 98 Mustang GT had a Bassani off-road X pipe and weld-in Spintechs. I haven;t had the car for almost 7 years and I still have neighbors saying they missed the Trans Am sound in the neighborhood.

Had a thunderbird with a supercharged 4.6L and a custom bassani 4'' single exit exhaust.

Thing was too loud for me, my ears would ring if I took the thing on the highway for a long drive.

What you have there looks like a very nice product, I have always liked Borla stuff. It will not be too loud at all.

On my LX 5.0 I had Mac headers, off-road H pipe and 2 chamber Flowmaster mufflers. Never had any problems with cops.

Long tube headers on Vette with Borla mufflers and also no problems.

Originally Posted By: CHARLIEBRONSON21
Open headers!

Haha, I ran the 98 on open headers when I put the X-pipe on just to see what it sounded like, I cleared out the shop and really angered a couple customers. That was when I worked at Sears and did not care about working there anymore.

You tend to lose power on a car running open headers. I am considering getting the cat delete pipes for when I take the car to Buttonwillow.

I have a nice-ish exhaust for my 95 when I build the engine, BBK equal length ceramic coated shorty headers, off-road X pipe and Magnaflow catback.

Nice exhaust choice.

I'd guess that it's easily fixed by a muffler shop. Problem is, that costs you money. It may even be possible to cut off an inch and get back to straight metal. Without any risk of leak.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Nice exhaust choice.

I'd guess that it's easily fixed by a muffler shop. Problem is, that costs you money. It may even be possible to cut off an inch and get back to straight metal. Without any risk of leak.

Amazon is working to find undamaged stock. Kind of sucks because they were going to install it at my work tomorrow when I get a new manual gearbox put in under warranty.

Yes, they DO make some great products.

I sometimes regret not just getting the lower cost, non-adjustable, but still all 304 stainless Borla dual outlet system for my car, and just cutting off the straight out the back tips, and stainless welding on some Gibson 304 turndowns (I CANNOT STAND the look of straight out the back exhaust tips on 4th gen Camaros). (Instead of the maybe too large, Mufflex 3.5", 304 system with a single turndown which is on the car.)

That system will make the already GREAT sounding Coyote sing like the proverbial canary when wound out!
thumbsup2.gif
cool.gif
19.gif

Originally Posted By: CHARLIEBRONSON21
Open headers!

Like on a race car.

Borla seems to make nice products, you can order a Borla exhaust on the new GM trucks right from the factory. I'll probably get one when I get my truck.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: Cujet
Nice exhaust choice.

Amazon is working to find undamaged stock. Kind of sucks because they were going to install it at my work tomorrow when I get a new manual gearbox put in under warranty.

Warrantied gear box? I don't remember seeing you posting about that before. Do you mind saying what happened, or linking to the post that explains if you had already posted on it?

Back on topic, it's good to hear that Amazon is stepping up to the plate and taking care of you! Yet another example of their great service.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
On my LX 5.0 I had Mac headers, off-road H pipe and 2 chamber Flowmaster mufflers. Never had any problems with cops.

Long tube headers on Vette with Borla mufflers and also no problems.

That's the exact same setup I had, LOL!
thumbsup2.gif
Sounded awesome.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Warrantied gear box? I don't remember seeing you posting about that before. Do you mind saying what happened, or linking to the post that explains if you had already posted on it?

Back on topic, it's good to hear that Amazon is stepping up to the plate and taking care of you! Yet another example of their great service.

Ford has been having quality issues with the MT-82, I blame it on the country of origin of the assembly. A Tremec TR-6060 like the GT-500, Camaro, and Challenger had would make too much sense in an American pony car.

It did not like going into 3rd at WOT. Real sketchy going to put it in 3rd going 70 on an on-ramp and hitting what felt like a wall even with the clutch pedal all the way down. It also was not fond of going into 1st at a stop, and it wasn't a fan of going into 2nd when cruising. I changed the fluid to the Amsoil syncromesh thinking that might help, but no dice. I will put a MGW shifter on it at some point. Also I figure while the trans is out, I can convince my tech to put at least the front drive-shaft loop in.

Yup, the Chinese tranny on an American icon is a slap in the face IMHO. My M5 has a Getrag unit, made in Germany, which I would expect for a German icon. I expect nothing less in the Mustang. The GT500 got the "right" transmission, the rest of the Mustangs should have too.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Yup, the Chinese tranny on an American icon is a slap in the face IMHO. My M5 has a Getrag unit, made in Germany, which I would expect for a German icon. I expect nothing less in the Mustang. The GT500 got the "right" transmission, the rest of the Mustangs should have too.

I love all the ignorance on the Mustang forums about Getrag. They made the gearbox in my S60R, and besides thinking it was a T-5 and refusing to go into reverse, it was a great unit.

I still can't believe they did it, but the bean counters rule and they move a lot o' stangs...

That sucks about the damaged exhaust. FedEx put a hole in a flowmaster muffler my friend ordered for his truck. Jegs was good about it and exchanged it, but I was amazed that FedEx found a way to poke a hole in a muffler that thick. It looked like it had a bullet hole in it.

Good call on the Borla, they are one of my favorites along with Magnaflow. Flowmasters are terrible in my opinion. They don't flow very well, and around here they seem to rust out in 2 or 3 years. Not worth the $80-90 you pay for one. Make sure to post a sound clip when it is installed.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

I love all the ignorance on the Mustang forums about Getrag. They made the gearbox in my S60R, and besides thinking it was a T-5 and refusing to go into reverse, it was a great unit.

LOL! Yeah, Getrag is a world class gearbox manufacturer. I think the issue here is, as you noted, COO. They could very easily have made the unit state-side or in Germany.

I'd say I don't know what Ford was thinking but I think we all know what Ford was thinking
frown.gif
$$$$$$$$$

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back