There may be water in my Diff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, Did some mild off roading in the silverado this weekend and there was quite a bit of driving through water. deep enough to splash over the hood a little bit. Think any got into the diff? It dosnt leak at all but im slightly concerned. It has been about 15K miles since I changed the fluid. I have a gallon of 85W140 layin around but it call for 75w90 synthetic.

IMG_1774_zpsb9f1c5bb.jpg

Just change it to be safe. I doubt it. When I got my Subaru stuck in water I had all the fluids changed out. Cheap insurance.

I would change it, they often have a vent.

Getting electronics wet is the death call for most modern vehicles. That is why insurance companies "total" flood cars.

If your seals are good, and your vent isn't stuck, you won't have water in your diff. Drove my 4 Runner through the storm surge of a Hurricane, flood waters in my street (we had evacuated to a nearby shelter) and even though the water was nearly 3 feet deep (up to door sills) as we drove several hundred yards through it, the diff fluid, front and rear, came out clean on the next change.

Pull the fill plug.
If water got in, the level will be high and some will come out.
If none comes out, nothing went in.

in the offroading community its common to change out your diff fluids after a good water fording. Anyway you have some miles built up on the fluid so i would change it anyway.

Some may have got into the diff. Check to see if there is a hose on your vent, there are aftermarket ones that are longer and have a filter on the end to keep water out.

It is nice seeing a truck all dirty. I hate seeing Raptors that are cleaner and more polished than my Mustang.

Luckily those GM 10-bolts (or all GM rearends) have a vent tube going up to the fuel filler neck so unless you went diving in water higher than your fuel filler then you should be fine.

Your Toyota friend may not be so lucky if he took his diff for a dive. Most Toyota's I've looked underneath have a one way check valve on the diff housing and can take in water. Alot of yota offroaders install diff vent tubes if they take their diffs swimming.

Last edited:
Could you pull the drain plug momentarily? Water would be on the bottom, no? I like the idea of checking the fill plug tho, to see if the level has gone up.

Your truck is 2WD right? Unlikely a 2WD will get water in the diff without getting it very stuck.

Pull the fill plug and see what the fluid looks like. If there is no milkshake, it's fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back