Motorcraft FL-400S - 6235 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrQuackers

Site Donor 2024
I ran this filter for two oil changes on a 1993 SL2. The first oil change was a short cleaning cycle with Mobil 1 TDT 5w-40 with a mix of MMO and a top-off half through of Rislone Engine Treatment. The second longer OCI used Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20/5w-30. Top-offs included more PP 5w-20 and some 5w-30. Near the end of the OCI I put in a blue bottle of STP that I got on sale at Lowe's for 82 cents.

The oil change was done a month ago and the filter has been opening side down over a jar. Not much leaked out. I cut the filter a bit and let it drain in a jar as pictured below. A couple ounces still trapped in the filter, not bad. Classics ADBV seem to always fail beyond 3k.

108bxat.jpg

Looks pretty good for 6k

2znpmhu.jpg

With some effort I was able to pop off the end cap. Solid glue under the cap. Looks great. Kudos Ford engineers.

53a0jb.jpg

2qa1kza.jpg

28jyxdh.jpg

The pleats look pretty darn good and no tears anywhere to be seen. A solid filter for under $4. Maybe Purolator should have Ford engineers spec all the filters they make.

I currently do not have a FoMoCo product in my household, but if I did I would not hesitate one second to use Motorcraft filters. I actually do use this filter on my Cub Cadet GT 2550 lawn tractor with Kohler motor. I'm not losing any sleep over it either. Thanks for the pictures.

I no longer own any Mazdas or Fords, but I used these Motorcraft filters about 10 years back when we did. Never had any issues with them and they were cheap and readily available.

Besides the OEM filter variety, these Motorcraft and Wix oil filters were probably the first ones I trusted past the 'golden rule of 3,000 mile OCI'.

Since Purolators are a hot topic lately and this thread has apparently gone unnoticed by many, I am bumping it. This is my favorite O'Reilly $5 off $5 purchase. As most know, Motorcrafts have been made by Purolator for many years.

Last edited:
Changed oil today on one of the Escapes. 7000 miles on MC FL400S and PU 5-20 and PU 5-30 50/50 mix. Cut open filter and it was dirtier than I expected but no failure of any type. New oil and filter same as last. I use MC filters in almost everything.

I neglected to state the amount of time the filter was in service:

5.5 months from early January through mid June

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back