Best outboard you ever owned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best? 2007 Yamaha F250.Fast,Quiet,Ridiculously low Fuel Consumption.
Most unique ? Homelite 55HP four stroke on a 16ft. Whaler in the 1970s
3hp two stroke Mercury did dual duty on transom of sailboat and dingy.

Best I ever had was a 1993 Yamaha 6 hp. Never a problem with it till this day. That motor even went underwater at full throttle when the outboard bracket snapped one time and after pulling the plugs to get the water out she fired right up like nothing ever happened. I sold my boat a few weeks ago along with that little outboard, and it's still trolling along on the 19ft Bayliner for the new owner just like when it was new.
The worst outboard I ever owned was a 74 Chrysler. There are no good words to describe that p.o.s. lol. Right down to the surface gap/discharge spark plugs, which were always fouling up, to the constant water pump problems etc. etc. etc. Needless to say I hated it.

The old Yamaha Saltwater Series II, 225 hp V-6. Bullet proof and infinitely reliable. Smoky and thirsty, but it will get you to the fish and home again.

Glad to see Yamaha so many times in this thread. I just bought a new Yamaha 2.5 hp for my john boat. I've had a few outboard motors before this one, including a 25 hp Johnson, 9.8 Hp Mercury, and I also still have a 1966 Evinrude 18 hp. So far, I am loving the Yamaha. I think the 4 stroke is easier to live with and it is very quiet. I think this engine will serve me well for a very long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back