Will we ever see Pennzoil Platinum Euro oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
Naw. Gasket leaks are common for BMW'S. Especially valve cover and where the oil filter housing is attached to the block. I think it's the choice of material.

This is my understanding as well. The materials they use become brittle over time and when subject to heat cycling, they eventually give in, much sooner than you'd expect them to.

It is butyl rubber IIRC, at least for the VCG's. Ford uses Silcone gaskets and you know, they don't have VCG leaking problems
smirk.gif
I've mentioned this in the past on a discussion about it.

Similar thing with the VANOS piston o-rings that get hard and stop sealing, the only car not affected by the problem was the M5 (conveniently) that had upgraded VITON seals factory.

BMW does some weird things. Gasket/seal material choice is one of those things.

This is true, on friends late e46 rubber around windshield deteriorated heavily. Not cool for garaged premium German car.

Originally Posted By: chrisri
This is true, on friends late e46 rubber around windshield deteriorated heavily. Not cool for garaged premium German car.

Something about a EU reg regarding biodegradable materials?

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted By: chrisri

Something about a EU reg regarding biodegradable materials?

Not sure, but i never saw window gaskets in such a poor condition on a newer car. Maybe from some car wash chemicals? Just gueesing really, but headlamps plastic cover deteriorates quickly on some cars also when washed in automated car wash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back