Comparing two Mobil1 5w30 synthetic oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: edyvw
On CC 2.0TSI engine in Germany, OCI is 25K km, using VW 504.00.

Yup. And maybe it could have been 35k km using VW 502.00.
smile.gif

I guess we'll never know.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
On CC 2.0TSI engine in Germany, OCI is 25K km, using VW 504.00.

Yup. And maybe it could have been 35k km using VW 502.00.
smile.gif

I guess we'll never know.

Agree, but those engines are design around Mid-SAPS and Low-SAPS oils, so using 502.00 would contribute to various issues, and some of them we are experiencing here.
So, yes, you could have longer OCI, but not worth of it.

In this case, nothing will happened, he just needs to switch to 0W30 after this OCI.

Last edited:
so using 502.00 would contribute to various issues,

What issues?

Quote:

In this case, nothing will happened, he just needs to switch to 0W30 after this OCI.

Agreed. I think we've all been saying this since the beginning, but somehow the OP became panicked.

so using 502.00 would contribute to various issues,

What issues?

Quote:

Agreed. I think we've all been saying this since the beginning, but somehow the OP became panicked.

Well obviously carbon deposits. Also, cat converters have prolonged life span.
Not sure how it affects emissions, but I would say there i a catch there too.

Since putting Mobil1 5w30 ESP C3 in my Jag i have not had the DPF light on once.(the one that tells you to go for a run down the road at 40 mph or more for a few miles)

Engine sounds the same as it did before.

Performance is the same.

Fuel economy is the same.

The vehicle has used no oil whatsoever in the several thousand miles since i did it, including a rare period of long journeys and running almost continuously for 10/12 hours.

Citreon spec 5w30 C2/C3.

Jag spec 5w30 C1 for the same engine(it is a Citroen engine not Ford of Jag)

I have used Mobil Super 3000 X1 FE for many thousands of miles.

In Ford Mondeo diesels, Volvo V50 diesel, my Pathfinder diesel and a mates Honda CR-V diesel.

All have used little oil if any.

The V50 and Mondeo had more than 200k.

The Pathfinder is on 123k

The CR-V was on just under 70k.

The Jag is on 111k.

Money no object i would use ESP.

If on a budget i would happily use Mobil Super.

But i would not run Mobil Super much past 8k or so.

Originally Posted By: Proxyon
Thank you for the prompt responses, guys.
Here is the deal, I bought this oil for my 2009 Honda Accord (Acura TSX in America), 2.0l gasoline engine. The point is that if I knew it was not fully synthetic I could have gone with Mobil Super 3000 5w40. Now comparing the Mobil1 ESP 5w30 "fully synthetic" with the other Mobil products (and other brands as well) I feel I have paid too much for something that is not worth the money. Correct me if I am wrong.

You haven't paid too much for something that wasn't worth the money, it's a good oil for what it's designed for, there's just other oils out there for your application that cost less. ESP 5w-30 is a low ash, longlife oil which your engine doesn't require. Your engine (Honda R20A3 engine?) has some artistic licence apparently 0w-20/30/40 and 5w-30/40 with min specs of API SJ/ ACEA A3,A5 gives you loads of options.

Don't even worry about the whole group 3 (synthetic technology) vs group 4 (full synthetic) stuff, they are comparable performance wise, group 3's have better seal compatibility and better add pack compatibility. Group 4's just tend to have slightly lower pour points and higher flash points, the business end of an oil is in the add pack. The engine will outlive the electronics using either base oil
wink.gif

Last edited:
Weaker add pack = shorter possible OCI.

It's blended to be a very low oxidation oil I think so that it can do long OCI's

In Europe it (VW504.00 VW507.00) goes up to 20k intervals in VW petrol engines and up to 30k in VW diesel engines, you just need a new turbo at 150k
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: riggaz
Weaker add pack = shorter possible OCI.

It's blended to be a very low oxidation oil I think so that it can do long OCI's

In Europe it (VW504.00 VW507.00) goes up to 20k intervals in VW petrol engines and up to 30k in VW diesel engines, you just need a new turbo at 150k
wink.gif

In all honesty i have only heard of one person running the longlife service schedule on a Passat.

Only fleet managers are interested in the kind of cost savings they represent.

Also VW appear to quote 18k or 2yrs.

And they add caveats like covering more than 25 miles a day and use on longer journeys etc.

Fixed interval servicing every year is advised for those doing less than 10k a year.

The OCI on my Pathfinder is 18k (and i think 24mths) for example.

It had 90k on it at just over 3 yrs and had all services done by mileage. The actual vehicle drove round the M25 London orbital motorway twice a day from Crawley to Bluewater Shopping Centre and back. So was used in ideal conditions.

In the workshop manual it clearly states not tk run the oil for 18k in a vehicle used in severe service, which includes stop start urban running.

The only reason there are issues with long oci is when they are used wrongly.

Like leaving the oil in situ for 24months when the car is only ever used to do the school run.

Quote:

In all honesty i have only heard of one person running the longlife service schedule on a Passat.

Only fleet managers are interested in the kind of cost savings they represent.

Also VW appear to quote 18k or 2yrs.

And they add caveats like covering more than 25 miles a day and use on longer journeys etc.

Fixed interval servicing every year is advised for those doing less than 10k a year.

Correct, most people driving VAG cars are on the wrong service schedule for their driving style.

Like you say variable servicing is for long distance, low load, gentle driving.

Fixed interval is for short distance, stop start, spirited and high load (towing) type driving

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back