EricTheCarGuy @ Valvoline, 35min video about oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ETCG lost all credibility with me after when he rebuilt calipers with brake fluid contaminated friction material, and reused them.

He's moved himself up to the level of marketing shill, like The Car Doctor, and ScottyKilmer.

RealFixesRealFast and to an extent still, ScannerDanner is where it's at right now.

Since when do brake calipers have friction material?
confused2.gif

Originally Posted By: HKPolice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXqkOZAkXZw

I'm only half way through right now but the answers Valvoline gives seem to promote 3K mile OCI as "cheap insurance" and that using a different grade than what the manual says = blown engine.

Not surprising since they are in the business of selling oil; I would do the same...$$$$

However, nothing sexier that a chic who's into motor oil...
banana2.gif

Last edited:
Two things I question in that video. They said using a 10/40 wt oil, over a 10/30 weight oil causes more wear at start up. How can that be? And that heavy oil doesn't dissipate heat as well as a thinner oil. Harley 's been using 20/50 wt oil forever and it seems to work fine . I'm sure they would recommend a lighter oil if they thought it would cool their motors down some. They only recommend 10/40 wt in the winter when temps are under 40f.So I'm not buying what their selling.,,

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Originally Posted By: exranger06
Since when do brake calipers have friction material?
confused2.gif

Believe the pads were contaminated.

Poor wording there, This.

I like a lot of his Honda videos, helps that since he was, um, a Honda tech.

I have lost interest when he went to having someone film him versus setting up a few cameras. I liked those 10x better.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
ETCG lost all credibility with me after when he rebuilt calipers with brake fluid contaminated friction material, and reused them.

He's moved himself up to the level of marketing shill, like The Car Doctor, and ScottyKilmer.

RealFixesRealFast and to an extent still, ScannerDanner is where it's at right now.

Scannerdanner is bad. I blew an entire Saturday watching his videos haha.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
ETCG lost all credibility with me after when he rebuilt calipers with brake fluid contaminated friction material

What the heck are you talking about specifically? Increase your credibility by reducing the hyperbole too.

At 27:50+...

High mileage oil is also recommended fot newer vehicles as a preventative measure (paraphrasing the Valvoline male employee in the video). From day one.

Good video and thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Video was fine to me. Its more informative than some of the stuff posted on this forum from time to time.

It is unclear what the beef here is with ETCG by some. It seems to be personal and irrelevant in this instance.

Valvoline Tech guys put the companies spin and view point on FAQs asked not much different to the FAQs on website.

It should be made a sticky for new members.

Originally Posted By: virginoil

Video was fine to me. Its more informative than some of the stuff posted on this forum from time to time.

It is unclear what the beef here is with ETCG by some. It seems to be personal and irrelevant in this instance.

Valvoline Tech guys put the companies spin and view point on FAQs asked not much different to the FAQs on website.

It should be made a sticky for new members.

Agreed.

What I found most interesting in the video was actually when she mixed the basestock with additives. The basestock & dispersants were completely clear, only the detergents were brown.

I assumed that the basestock would be yellow/amber itself since it comes from crude.

It's cool the company would do this. Similarly it was cool for Pennzoil to allow Scotty Kilmer to come to their offices.

Originally Posted By: HKPolice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXqkOZAkXZw

I'm only half way through right now but the answers Valvoline gives seem to promote 3K mile OCI as "cheap insurance" and that using a different grade than what the manual says = blown engine.

What if your manual gives your three choices like 5W-20, 5W-30, and 10W-30 ?

People like wemay get all kinds of confused.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back