GM Dexos 0W-20 6,069 miles 2014 GMC Sierra 5.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the 2nd UOA for my 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 with the new 5.3 Ecotec3 V8. OLM was at 20%. Mostly highway driven (around 85%). Oil used is GM #19259487 (Dexos 0w20) which should be the same as ACDelco 10-9116. Filter was ACDelco PF63.

I did install a Volant CAI kit at the beginning of if this OCI. It uses a Donaldson PowerCore air filter. Looks like its working just fine.

Glad to see iron levels have dropped but copper is still up there. Maybe these engines just shed a lot of copper? Doesn't appear to be any fuel issues that are sometimes associated with DI.

14_SIERRA_SAMPLE_2.jpg

Very nice, are you planning on sticking with the GM Dexos or switching to something else when the free oil changes are up?

Great report. The copper will drop in time.

Does your truck have the factory oil cooler? If so, that can be a major copper contributor, they must also love copper sealant in these motors.

Note that we just sold a 6.0 gas engined GM Savana with half a million miles on the engine. The copper was high on that one when it was new, too...

Originally Posted By: Oli20
Very nice, are you planning on sticking with the GM Dexos or switching to something else when the free oil changes are up?

I decided to skip my last dealer oil change and do it myself. I put Mobil 1 0W-20 and a Fram Ultra XG10575 filter. Next UOA I will do TBN and plan on going down to around 10% OLM.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Does your truck have the factory oil cooler?

Yes it does. Spec sheet says "external engine oil cooler".

Nice report.

Cu will settle with time; give it more to do so.

Easily could extend to the full 100% OLM, and probably longer (although I realize that's considered heresy ....)

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Nice report.

Cu will settle with time; give it more to do so.

Easily could extend to the full 100% OLM, and probably longer (although I realize that's considered heresy ....)

Going past 0% on the OLM might be in the picture someday down the road...but not while I have warranty. I don't know if there is anyway for a dealership to tell if the vehicle has gone past 0% but I would rather not for piece of mind.

Still wondering how long Blackstone are going to keep reporting the old viscosity spread for 20s...J300 update has been a little while ago now

Iron came down nicely from the 1st to 2nd oil sample.
I think you can push the OLM to 0% now that the truck has ~20k miles on it.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Still wondering how long Blackstone are going to keep reporting the old viscosity spread for 20s...J300 update has been a little while ago now

http://paservice.it/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/J300_201304.pdf

to see the 16/20 bands...

Just realised, that I think a 20W16 could be manufactured if you so desired.

According to this information, a 20 grade should be within 6.9-9.3 cSt@100°C?

I just sent off my sample for my 2014. Same engine, oil, and filter. I've got 14k on the truck and this sample is from my 2nd change. I'm interested to see if the numbers are similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back