Purolator Premium Plus vs. Purolator PURE ONE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, this may sound like a fairly stupid question ( "there are no stupid questions . . .only stupid people" )but here goes:

Purolator Premium Plus claims to filter out 96% of impurities ; PURE ONE claims 98% filtration capability. However, the PURE ONE costs about $2.00 more. Is it really worth the extra $$$ for an additional 2%? I mean , these are not dialysis machines.

I have been a diehard PURE ONE guy for the last 2 years. However, my OCI is now alot shorter than it had been and I am counting my pennies.

FYI: Premium Plus are now on sale at Advance for $2.44!!!!

The Premium Plus is an excellent filter. The only drawback I see is the lack of a silicon anti drain back valve (they use nitril). As long as you are not having a start up rattle from drain back, the Premium Plus will serve you very well.

The PurOne is better, but you may not need the improvements.

Where I shop the average Purolator PP is about $4.50 but it varies a little.

Almost all PureOne's are $5.50.

PureOne's are almost always on sale for $1 off. Sometimes all Purolators are $1 off.

I'm not sure what Purolator's marketing strategy is but it seems like there's becomming very little seperation in price between the two lines. I'll choose PureOne's for a mere $1 difference.

theguru,
most oil pumps are positive displacement and shift the same amount of oil per revolution.

How well a filter flows may have anb effect on how much oil is allowed to bypass...i.e. too "good" a filter may not filter.

I doubt this is the case with pureone

The Pure one has two advantages. The silicone ADBV, and the better filtration. While 2% may not sound like much, in reallity, HALF as many particles are allowed through on the Pure One.

For short OCI the premium plus is the better deal, plus if your worried about flow(I wouldn't be) you can feel good that the PP media outflows the overhyped K&N.

-T

T-Kieth is right. That is why the filter companies should use beta ratios to describe filter effectiveness.

96% = Beta 25
98% = Beta 50 (Twice as good!)

you can feel good that the PP media outflows the overhyped K&N.

T-Keith ,
I thought the K&N outflowed most standard oil filters.
confused.gif

What the heck is a "Beta Flow"? Is it a measure of particle filtration ? I assume that "Higher is better" and that it progresses geometrically vice arithmatically. Is the PPP only half as good as the PPO based on a 100% higher beta flow in the PPO?

Beta or not, here is how I look at it.

96% passes 4% of junk
98% passes 2% of junk

4% is twice of 2%, and hence P+ passes twice the junk as P1.

Am I right?
dunno.gif

Johnny Z is exactly right.

Here is a simplified way to understand Beta ratings:

A 98% efficient filter passes one particle for every 50 that enters. It is rated 50 Beta.

A 96% efficient filter passes one particle for every 25 that enters. It is rated 25 Beta.

A 75% efficient filter passes one particle for every 4 that enters. It is rated 4 Beta.

The beta numbers give you a better comparison. A 50 Beta (98%) filter lets through half as many particles as a 25 Beta (96%) filter and over twelve times less than a 4 Beta (75%) filter. This would be harder to see just by looking at the percent efficiency.

[ October 04, 2005, 09:12 AM: Message edited by: BigAl ]

quote:

Originally posted by LT4 Vette:
you can feel good that the PP media outflows the overhyped K&N.

T-Keith ,
I thought the K&N outflowed most standard oil filters.
confused.gif

Sounds like marketing or internet rumor. According to Grease's test, the Purolator outflowed the K&N along with several other filters, althought the K&N did show above average flow.

99, I hope either that inventory was only two filters, or you have a bunch of different addresses.

That rebate has a limit.

quote:

Originally posted by serious II:

FYI: Premium Plus are now on sale at Advance for $2.44!!!!

With $1 rebate on top of that. I just emptied my AA's inventory of L14670s and L20252s.
grin.gif

I was using Pure Ones on the wife's VW, but at this price she's getting Premium Plus now. Both are great filters so I don't see it as a downgrade per se.

Rebate info can be seen here. http://www.pureoil.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back