Husqvarna saw doesnt like storage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last year had major problems with my husqvarna 246 saw after storing it for a year. Stripped the thing down during the winter and got it running great ... then left it sit for 6 months. The 2 cycle is mized 40:1 with husqvarna synth oil using fuel stabilized with either seafoam or stabil (dont remember what was in the big can back then).

Went to use it today and it did NOT Want to run. Initally started and then died. Tookk an hour fiddling with it anf adjusting low speed mix and throttle screw. Runs pretty good now but some hesitation and bog. Plug is prestine with perfect gap

Time for carb kit, user error or something else?

Originally Posted By: old1
Are you by any chance using E-10?

What he said. If you can get non ethanol gas it is the only thing you should use in small engines. E-10 is evil. Even with stabilizer in it the stuff will gum up and cause issues in chainsaws, etc.

Fortunately non ethanol or non oxy gas as it is sometimes called, is easy to find in my area. It is worth looking around for if you have to.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Store it with a tank full of Tru Fuel or Stihl Motomix after running it for five minutes.

Trufuel works for me but still best to run it once a month even if just for 5 minutes to get the fuel thru the carb.

I have been having luck by using a dose of Chem tool in the the fuel. I use just an ounce or less. It may not work immediately. I was carrying The Mantis to the bench a week after a failed attempt to start. I gave the starter a final hail Mary pull and it fired up. Good as new. Letting the stuff soak seems to work too. A revelation supported by Trav. Chem - Tool is cheap and powerful. It probably isn't good for a 2 stroke in large doses. I am cursed with having only E 10 gas. My defense has been to use MMO in my OPE. I run the carbs dry after every use on my stuff with a fuel shut off. Also check out the fuel line, some don't like E 10. My universal 2 stroke fuel is a oily 32:1 with any mix oil available. I run this in stuff rated between 50:1 and 32:1. I have a 40 yr old Stihl that thrives on my mix. I am only using Stabil in the Chonda on my snowblower. And only to keep the steel tank clean.

I only use fuel that is ethanol free for my small engines - the no start issue after 6 months storage is gone.
In my area Shell is the only one that advertises no ethanol in the Max grade.
Note: I make sure I fill a few gallons into my car first before filling the fuel containers to get rid of the residual E10 in the station pump.

Originally Posted By: Danno
I only use fuel that is ethanol free for my small engines - the no start issue after 6 months storage is gone.
In my area Shell is the only one that advertises no ethanol in the Max grade.
Note: I make sure I fill a few gallons into my car first before filling the fuel containers to get rid of the residual E10 in the station pump.

Same here, I also start with a gallon or two in the car to clear the hose of E-10. The next step up is 100LL aviation fuel.

Seems like such a low use saw I would run VP small engine fuel or Trufuel 100% of the time. I run VP SEF in all my 2strokes they never see anything but the VP buy it by the 5 Gallon pail not cheap but more cost effective.

Yes only e10 is available. I would think fuel preservative would keep it from getting gummy but maybe its a phasd seperation issue in the tiny tank? I could dump the tank after each use and run it dry, but that seems wasteful to me.

Guess I will have to strip it down first and look for problems with the pickup, fuel line amd carb and go frpm there.

Make your own E0 out of E10 by doping it with water. The alcohol and water will mix and separate to the bottom. Then siphon off the pure gas.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Make your own E0 out of E10 by doping it with water. The alcohol and water will mix and separate to the bottom. Then siphon off the pure gas.
How well does this work? I've dealt with phase separation once and I did re-use the E0.If it relly worked well, you would end up wit real gas and a blast of moonshine.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: andyd
Originally Posted By: SHOZ
How well does this work? I've dealt with phase separation once and I did re-use the E0.If it relly worked well, you would end up wit real gas and a blast of moonshine.
grin2.gif

You will have a bit of waste unless you are anal about getting the last drop of gasoline from the separated mix. Try it with a quart or so in a glass jar; slowly add the water and you can see how it works. Don't think I would be drinking the alky and water mix though.....

Had my husky overhauled last year. Took it out of storage this year and it idled fine but wouldn't wind up. Cursed the ethanol but ended up changing the plug and wallah. Think I put fuel treatment in it before storage though

With my 2 cyl gas I add Stabil to it when I mix it. Usually only mix up about a 1.2 gallon a year. There is also a Marine grade Stabil and an Ethanol gas Stabil.

41iGTzK-AyL._AA160_.jpg

41JBBDa5MWL._AA160_.jpg

I have a 254 from like 1989. Runs great always. But, older saws need new diaphragms like every 6-8 yrs and a clean carb.
If you use it infrequently you should know that:
1. ALL gas station gas with or without ethanol is quite unstable and octane ratings allow for veeery varying properties. It works in autos because the ECM adjusts in real time. Your carbed saw does NOT. Shelf life a few months, and different batches may require you to adjust carb. You seem to know...
2. Ethanol gas is prone to absorb water. That will make your old fuel not only broken down (see above), but also loaded with some minor amounts of H2O which makes it not so god for the little carb. Otherwise, fresh E5 and E10 will do just fine, it's not poison.
People mix up that cracked gas (most gas today) has short life, and now with ethanol, old fuel is a bit worse. Fresh etahanol in fresh station gas can not be a noticable problem. But dirty ethanol and old gas os both bad, people blame ethanol solely.

So, just use alkylate gas like Truefuel, stihl motomix etc etc. This will not age noticeably, it will not require different snake oils or stabilizers, and it will stay in grade/octane, meaning you will not have to adjust the carb all the time!

Alkylate is the keyword to look for, not Truefuel. That's a brand, an expensive one.

If you don't find alkylate, use Stabil et al. But you will then sitll adjust per batch if unlucky.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back