Fram Ultra FAILURE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: DriveHard
This is the response I have received from Fram already...

While I personally do not care for a failure (no matter the manufacturer), it is nice to see Fram respond to requests such as this with some actions included.

Originally Posted By: gtmaster303
Did you remove the end caps or did they separate on their own?

That is exactly how I found it when I opened the filter housing...it had totally come apart on its own.

I'm starting to think Toyota got it right with simply gluing the seams. Hard for end caps to come off if they don't exist.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
This is the response I have received from Fram already...

While I personally do not care for a failure (no matter the manufacturer), it is nice to see Fram respond to requests such as this with some actions included.

I agree. At least Fram seems to act promptly on customer complaints, unlike Purolator, who refuses to respond to my e-mails.

Originally Posted By: webfors

That is exactly how I found it when I opened the filter housing...it had totally come apart on its own.

I'm starting to think Toyota got it right with simply gluing the seams. Hard for end caps to come off if they don't exist.

Agreed. - With Sayjac's Advance Auto post I saved 40% off more MANN cartridge filters for my fleet, made them in the $8 range with shipping. I've put 13k on the filters and not had any issues with the end caps, nor the media.

Originally Posted By: montero1
I have the same motor in my Z4 3.0SI- This is the one you need.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail...9&ppt=C0023
Why doesn't everyone just go to Wix if they HAVE ta HAVE ta go aftermarket? I don't think I've seen one failure yet.

Same here, I use the Wix or NAPAgold 7327, appears to hold up well. I'd avoid K&N in that application, I had some media collapse problems.

Needs more goopy glue to really grab those pleats forever, like what Mann does:
99998136_mnh_hu816x_pri_larg.jpg

Definitely contact fram about this. I'm sure they will help you out
Good thing there was no engine damage

Looks like Fram may need to look at glue adhesion design on some of their cartridge filters.

They seem to be way more responsive to customers than Purolator.

Some of you guys are funny, pointing out Ecotech cartridges that get trashed by all models and making a big deal of the pin hole in the filter. What about the oem Delcos i pull out of Ecotechs that are squashed inwards and look beat to death?

It seems all cartridge filters are high risk, since you don't see problems with the spin on filters with metal end caps and deep adhesive wells.

How does this filter compare dimension-wise to the stock OEM filter? I wonder if it was too tall or something and didn't fit right.

The only other filter I've seen that looked like that was an aftermarket filter for a 6.0 Powerstroke diesel. The filter didn't fit right, and was getting squished by the filter cap, causing the media to get damaged. Using a Motorcraft filter fixed that problem.

My first impression is that this is a sludged motor. The filter was overwhelmed and some sludge got past the bypass. If I were you, I would get a lot of cheap filters and change them every 750 miles till the sludge is gone. Unless this model gets oil that black that quickly.

That said, the filter did come apart.

When I saw this filter, I though of the video of Fram's web site explaining that the Fram Ultra spin on filters use metal end caps because the synthetic media needs more glue to hold. Yet for some reason the cartridge style looks like it has less glue.

I used to have a 328i with the same basic motor which I bought at 52000 km or 32000 miles.
I used to change the oil every fall at 8000 km interval. I have never seen my filter in that bad of shape with all that sludge. Stop blaming the filter. That engine is sludged up and it clogged up the filter. This is what happens when people change their oil at 20 to 25000 km ( 12 - 15000 mile) intervals. One more thing, those engines don't tick if normal.

Please contact our claims dept at 800-890-2075. They will be happy to assist you. We would like to see the filter so please keep all pieces intact.
Thank you.

reminds me of the infamous youtube video of the ferrari using a fram filter.

Did you happen to get any of the past service records with the car? I would be curious to know how often oil changes were done and what type of oil was used.

It is good that fram contacted you and there is a member on here from fram to help.

Last edited:
WHAT? A Fram filter failed? NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! I was going to join the BITOG Pro-Fram Gestapo but...but...but...now I CAN'T!!!

Are you sure it wasn't a stealth Purolator Classic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back