Questions about Castrol TWS / Edge Professional

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a couple of questions about Castrol TWS and Castrol Edge Professional 10W-60.

I have a bottle of BMW branded TWS, dated 17.1.05. It was in the trunk of my 2002 M3 from when I purchased it. Is this oil still usable or is it better to put it on the shelf?

Also, I'm wondering if anyone has a blackstone test report that confirms if the "recommended for BMW" non-BMW branded Castrol Edge Professional 10W-60 is the same as the BMW branded Castrol Edge Professional 10W-60.

Last edited:
It is absolutely usable. Oil doesn't really go bad. Yours is just the old formula.

And yes, the EP you are referring to is identical. It is labeled slightly differently in each region. You can pull up the datasheets from Castrol -- they are identical.

There have been a few Castrol 10w60s over the years so it's easy to get confused. I'm sure Doug Hillary can correct me if I am wrong:

-Castrol Edge FST/FST Titanium (sold outside of US only by dealers, same as Edge Professional TWS, carries M approval)

-Castrol Edge Professional TWS (sold in US only by BMW dealers, carries M approval)

-Castrol Edge Sport (retail version of Formula RS but different formula, no M approval)

-Castrol Edge (retail version of old TWS Motorsport but different formula, no M approval)

-Castrol TWS Motorsport (carries M approval, old silver bottles)

-Castrol Edge Formula RS (same as Edge Sport I believe)

-Castrol Formula RS Racing (silver bottles)

-Castrol Formula RS Sport (silver bottles, no M approval)

-Castrol Performance (discontinued, black bottles)

Basically there are two types of Castrol 10w60s: the M-approved stuff that only dealers sell, which is labeled differently around the world, and 'everything else'. The non-dealer 10w60s are not approved (different formulas) and are targeted at shops and DIYers.

Originally Posted By: dparm
It is absolutely usable. Oil doesn't really go bad. Yours is just the old formula.

And yes, the EP you are referring to is identical. It is labeled slightly differently in each region. You can pull up the datasheets from Castrol -- they are identical.

[deletia]

Basically there are two types of Castrol 10w60s: the M-approved stuff that only dealers sell, which is labeled differently around the world, and 'everything else'. The non-dealer 10w60s are not approved (different formulas) and are targeted at shops and DIYers.

Thank you for the reply. I have read that oil basically "lasts forever", but almost 10 years seems like a long time. I'm scratching my head wondering why the previous owner didn't cycle the bottle in the trunk through the engine every oil change. The bottle is the silver coloured TWS with a BMW part number.

The two versions I'm wondering about are Castrol Edge Professional TWS 10w60 Motor Oil and Genuine BMW Castrol Edge Professional TWS 10w60 Motor Oil. They look identical, except one has a BMW part number and the other doesn't.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back