1990s Alfa 164s

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see these cars from time to time for sale. They look nice, and are often inexpensive but my guess is that they are very expensive to keep up. Does anyone have any experience with these?

Someone in my neighborhood bought a nice looking red one with a V6 emblem on the trunk a few years ago. It was driven daily for awhile but than it sat with one of it's wheels chalked for eons before it disappeared.

You'll get much better info from a place where Alfa nerds socialize online. I don't know what they are, but there's a guy who posts on the Car Lounge that has a couple of 80s or 90s models and they are really cool.

I saw a 164 not too long ago and I really liked the looks of it.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3154659
Alfa-Romeo-164-side.jpg

Older, low volume European import.
Not German either, but Italian.
Parts and good shops will be hard to find for one of these.
If you're a skilled DIY guy, this would be a pretty neat car.
You could find and join the Alfa enthusiast boards for advice on repairs and sources of parts. You might have a very happy time with your Italian BMW.
OTOH, if you aren't mechanically skilled, a low-volume import is probably something to pass on.

They were very underrated.

And built and designed on a platform shared with the Saab 9000 and Lancia Thema.

If i was buying some big Italian tin i would go for the later 166 myself. Another very underrated car.

Thanks for the info. I do most of my own work, so I hope I could handle such a car. I'll take a look.

Originally Posted By: bigjl
They were very underrated.

And built and designed on a platform shared with the Saab 9000 and Lancia Thema.

If i was buying some big Italian tin i would go for the later 166 myself. Another very underrated car.

And you would make a mistake. AR 166 is newer design and more up to date but 164 is The Car. I had one, a 91 3.0 24v with hotter cams and remap. It was very fast car, well build, almost like German car. Main issue was the clutch and cambelt change, but i did manage to change it without taking motor out. Alfa was the best car build on tipo 4 chassis with unique suspension front and rear. I had to sold the car after year and a half, consumption was very high, simply could not afford it.

My neighbor as an ALL BLACK version of the 164S. It only has about 168 hp but, has the greatest sound to the engine(as good as I've heard for under $100 grand)

Thanks!
It's been a while since he & I have discussed this Alfa!
It may have been his late 80's BMW 325 that I got confused with
smile.gif

Last edited:
I called about the one that was for sale near me, and it was sold.

Too bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back