Triflow or "safariland" breakfree CLP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of these two choices which would you pick for general firearm maintenance? Specifically on a glock, but also as a general gun oil and CLP?

I have never tried tri-flow but I hear it is a great lubricant and rust stopper. I have a lot of experience with breakfree clp and it is good stuff also.

Between the two, Tri-flow should be a better lubricant with more AW properties but it will not clean as well and will be more expensive than Breakfree CLP.

CLP will be a better cleaner but will also evaporate off faster. CLP probably wont lubricate as well or last quite as tri-flow but it should be less expensive.

I would try them both and see which one you like better. I recently found a place that sells tri-flow locally. I want to pick some up and test it out for myself.

I've been a long time Triflow user for bicycles and general workshop stuff. Its a little pricey but works very well typically, which is why I started this thread.

I have been using the CLP on my CCW with great results. Granted its a G23 so its not terribly picky, but even after a big range day with cheap, dirty ammo it cleans up with just a wipe down from CLP.

Well I would certainly not hesitate to try the tri-flow out on whatever you have.

Glocks are terrible test mules for lubes and cleaners. The smoothly machined slide, fairly loose tolerances and tennifer finish makes the glock pistols need very little lube or cleaning. Most glock pistols will continue to operate reliably even after being taken apart, blasted out with brake parts cleaner and put back together bone dry. Lube is really not something glock pistols need to stay running.

If anything, you would be better off using something very tight fitting like a semi-custom 1911. New Ar-15s also work well to test cleaners and lubes. Direct Impingement ar-15s make a pretty good mess with lot of heat in the upper receiver and BCG area. These are good areas to test cleaning ability of cleaners or how long a lubricant can hold up to sustained fire and still keep the BCG running smoothly. Many liquid gun lubes will burn off and dry up quickly on an ar-15, leaving the BCG dry and the action feeling rough when the charging handle is operated. A good lubricant will remain wet on the BCG and keep the action feeling smooth even after several mag dumps.

My point being, glocks do not make good test mules for gun care chemicals. Have fun with your testing and take lot of notes!

""Most glock pistols will continue to operate reliably even after being taken apart, blasted out with brake parts cleaner and put back together bone dry. Lube is really not something glock pistols need to stay running.""

Please don't treat a firearm you intend to do battle with like that, unless you are on the opposing side.

Smoky

I'd use which ever one is cheaper. If a part is lubed, it's not going to wear much. One brand of oil will not make a difference.

Originally Posted By: Smoky14
""Most glock pistols will continue to operate reliably even after being taken apart, blasted out with brake parts cleaner and put back together bone dry. Lube is really not something glock pistols need to stay running.""

Please don't treat a firearm you intend to do battle with like that, unless you are on the opposing side.

Smoky

Lol I never said I would do that but I have seen it done in person. There are videos of people doing that all over youtube.

Originally Posted By: buck91
Of these two choices which would you pick for general firearm maintenance? Specifically on a glock, but also as a general gun oil and CLP?

CLP is OK as a field expedient chemical for maintaining firearms, and I generally keep a can of Breakfree CLP in my range bag.

However, at home where I have the luxury of using dedicated products, I don't handicap myself with CLP. Motor oil/ATF for lube, Boeshield for protection, and Hoppes #9 Solvent, MPro7 Gun Cleaner, or Breakfree Bore Cleaning Foam for cleaning.

I have about 15-20 guns oils in my collection. I clean/lubricate different guns with different oils and keep track of them in a spreadsheet. I do this to compare oils long term and to increase my knowledge of the oils and their ability to clean and their ability to lubricate.

With that being said, I have never heard of Tri-Flow as a gun lube and I've been around guns for along time and shoot about 30K rounds a year. No one else has mentioned it to me either as a gun lube. I looked it up and it appears to be marketed towards cycle riders and fisherman for use in fishing reels. It appears to be a "light viscosity" lube that dries and leaves a film, possibly a Teflon film. If that is true, then it should be avoided as a gun lube. Guns operate best with a liquid film lube, not dry lube.

Based on the two choices above, Breakfree CLP would be my choice. It is a decent cleaner and a decent gun oil. One of the ingredients is a solvent, so it tends to evaporate after a few months and needs reapplied frequently. It is true that Glocks will run completely without lube, so if your only weapon is a Glock, then realistically, lube is the last of your concerns.

If you are willing to try other gun oils that I have found to be superior, look at Breakfree LP (not CLP), Weapon Shield, or MPro7. These are my three favorite lubes based on cost vs benefit. Fireclean and Slip 2000 are great lubes also, but cost about 2-4 times more than other comparable lubes.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
If you are willing to try other gun oils that I have found to be superior, look at Breakfree LP (not CLP), Weapon Shield, or MPro7. These are my three favorite lubes based on cost vs benefit. Fireclean and Slip 2000 are great lubes also, but cost about 2-4 times more than other comparable lubes.

After noticing my beloved Ballistol burn off too quickly too many times, I tried Weapon Shield. It's not the best cleaner I've used, but by far the best lube. It stands up to a range trip, doesn't evaporate, and stays where you put it without attracting a lot of dust during CC. I agree with others though, on the Glock it really doesn't matter what you use as long as you keep it clean and only lube VERY LIGHTLY.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
AMC how is your testing of CorrosionX coming?

Still great! It is still my overall favorite CLP and general purpose liquid lubricant. I applied CorrosionX to a Henry survival rifle and a sword (both have sat untouched that whole time) over 2 years ago. The corrosionX is still liquid, still slippery, not tacky at all and has attracted no more dust than the un-oiled parts have. I recommend it without hesitation.

It seems like a good gun lube and in testing by various guys on YouTube it has protected steel from rust for long periods of time. But for cleaning a gun barrel I would use Hoppes Bore Cleaner, or Hoppes Elite or MPro7.

Indeed. The weak point of CorrosionX as a CLP is its marginal cleaning ability. You can add odorless mineral spirits to it to increase its cleaning power or just use a separate cleaner for more heavy duty cleanings.

I still have not found a CLP type product that does all functions really well.

Keep looking, but the CorrosionX does seem to excel in two out of three areas. All a guy needs is something to clean the barrel and gun with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back