K&N Cool Air intake, '13 2.0L Dart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Compairson test....

No one in this topic has stated that an aftermarket filter/intake will increase horsepower on every car. It depends on the individual vehicle and the design priorities of the OEM intake and filter.

I must have misread the marketing material on several of these types of filters. They claimed a performance increase. It appears that these filters setups are for looks and noise. They also have an application where one puts say a turbo on an engine ans is running out of room. For a daily driver I don't get it.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
I must have misread the marketing material on several of these types of filters. They claimed a performance increase. It appears that these filters setups are for looks and noise. They also have an application where one puts say a turbo on an engine ans is running out of room. For a daily driver I don't get it.

Agreed; I paid $315 for my Mazdaspeed cold air intake and I only picked up 24 bhp and shaved just 0.61 seconds of my 3rd gear 30mph-70mph acceleration time.

What a rip-off...
21.gif

Again, minus the filter, which is a seperate issue. Every car responds differently to a CAI or removal or the stock air box. The only way to prove it is put the car on the Dyno.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Again, minus the filter, which is a seperate issue. Every car responds differently to a CAI or removal or the stock air box. The only way to prove it is put the car on the Dyno.

Agreed; I was responding to those who simply parrot second-hand opinions- i.e., "CAIs never increase horsepower." or "Install a CAI and you'll always pick up 40-50 bhp."

Heck, I'd spend a couple hundred just for the noise. Intake noise from a nice inline engine is a wonderful thing.

I'd change out the intake on the GTI, but as it turns out they generally don't make a huge difference. I'm guessing the turbo muffles things a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back