Campy crank threads L. or R. thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm planning to disassemble my bike and i've read that some crank bolt threads are opposite,meaning counterclockwise tightens them. Does anyone here know what they are? I have Camy Nuovo Record. thanks

According to Barnett's Manual, ALL crank bolts are regular right hand thread. Bottom brackets (except Italian threaded ones) and pedal axles are the usual ones that use left hand thread at all.

Theory was that regular movement of the components could cause loosening. I can't say I've seen that on the one bike I have with a bottom bracket threaded that way.

The bolts that hold the crank arm on are 14 or 15mm and are regular right threaded. But you need a "crank arm puller" to take the crank arms off. Then the Bottom bracket (BB) can be disassembled. You will need some bottom bracket tools also. Any bike shop can sell you these tools. The left side of the BB, the non drive side, as you are sitting on the bike looking down, is normal right hand drive and this is the only side that needs to be removed when overhauling the BB. Hope this helps.

It's been a LONG time since I've had/worked on regular, old school style Campy cranks and bottom brackets.

I always remember having to use at least the red LocTite on the crank bolts in order to hold them in place, and not loosen up to the point that they destroyed the softer than the axle, tapered crank openings.

I still have my Campy "peanut butter" spanner which was used on these bolts amd also my track bike's Campy hub bolts.
wink.gif
smile.gif

oliveoil said:
The bolts that hold the crank arm on are 14 or 15mm and are regular right threaded. But you need a "crank arm puller" to take the crank arms off. Then the Bottom bracket (BB) can be disassembled. You will need some bottom bracket tools also. Any bike shop can sell you these tools. The left side of the BB, the non drive side, as you are sitting on the bike looking down, is normal right hand drive and this is the only side that needs to be removed when overhauling the BB. Hope this helps. [/quote.

I do not agree that you only need to loosen the non-drive side. To properly clean out and re-grease the bottom bracket, you really need to remove both cups.

Not really. This is why we have dexterous fingers and opposable thumbs. One should always check the drive side cup for tightness.

Originally Posted By: oliveoil
Not really. This is why we have dexterous fingers and opposable thumbs. One should always check the drive side cup for tightness.

When I had these, I used to open up the drive side cup for a total cleaning every other repack.
wink.gif

I ended up taking it to a good bike shop. They charged me 15.00 to completely take apart the cranks and everything else there and the headset. ON TO PAINT NOW!!

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
I ended up taking it to a good bike shop. They charged me 15.00 to completely take apart the cranks and everything else there and the headset. ON TO PAINT NOW!!

That's not bad for all of that, especially in So-Cal.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back