Filter Stash Strategy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Originally Posted By: Rat407
I'm sure they would act faster if a few trashed engine claims were filled due to their filter media issues. Seems when money and lawyers get involved then things start to change.

How can a torn filter trash an engine? VW Beetle never even had an oil filter and they lasted 100K

If a piece of media tears off and goes down into the engine, it could do some damage. There have been cases where small chunks of filter media blocked piston oiling jets, which caused lack of oiling on the pistons and subsequent damage.

It would be rare, but it could happen.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: Rat407
I'm sure they would act faster if a few trashed engine claims were filled due to their filter media issues. Seems when money and lawyers get involved then things start to change.

How can a torn filter trash an engine? VW Beetle never even had an oil filter and they lasted 100K

If a piece of media tears off and goes down into the engine, it could do some damage. There have been cases where small chunks of filter media blocked piston oiling jets, which caused lack of oiling on the pistons and subsequent damage.

It would be rare, but it could happen.

Highly unlikely, but you could make the same claim for any oil filter

Highly unlikely, but you could make the same claim for any oil filter

Yes, but only for filters that tear or blow-out the media. That's why filters that do that are undesirable, because the risk is still there, even though it's a small risk. Personally, I'll take zero risk over small risk.

After personally experiencing a tear, my filter stash strategy is as follows:

1. Auction my Purolator stash on eBay for auction in lots starting at 99 cents, two kinds of filters, so two lots of 2 and 3 each. The market will determine their true value.

2. Buy two Wix, Baldwin or Hastings, use both before buying two more.

3. Trust & Verify- Cut each and every used filter can with my new Longacre.

Why not Fram Ultra's? It's a matter of trust. I trust Fram to make constant changes. Trust is more important than 4% more efficiency (or whatever %). Trust is more important than a 3-4 dollar price differential.

Why two? I like having a spare around "just in case", but now I'll sweat going a few days after using the second filter before I get the next two. If society ends in the meantime and I can't get more, my last filter will last longer than my gasoline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back