1997 Audi A4 Quatro engine oil recomendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everybody, I was studying up on how to start changing the oil in my car myself, when I stumbled across BITOG. Well actually it was the first and only site I needed to visit! Anyway, I saw that you encourage people to ask for an oil recomendation, sooooo...

I have a manual V6 2.1 liter 1997 Audi A4 Quatro with 208K miles.
I currently live in Nashville, Tennessee. My girlfriend and I both drive it around 30 miles each way for work, her in the morning and me at night, about 4 days a week (about 500 miles a week). Mostly highway driving with a little city stop and go. I try to drive as smoothly as possible, without throttling more than necessary, but every once in a while I'll get a little speed demon in me. : ]. My girlfriend is the same, sans the deamon.

The manual suggests SAE 5w30 for most temperatures. There are other weights for more specific temps. It also suggests 7.5k mile service intervals. I'll definaly change around 7k or earlier if the oil looks dirty, or if it's been in use for more than three months.

It currently needs the suspension replaced and is wearing the inside of the tires pretty quickly, but that is the only problem I'm aware of. It doesn't even consume oil very much.

My mechanic buddy said synthetic oil is unnessary for passenger cars as long as you keep up with maintiance and I'm inclined to believe him. He also suggested using valvoline as it's the brand he uses in the many engines he services and he hasn't had a problem with it.

Anyway, thanks for reading my wall of text and I look forward to hearing what you think.
Steven M.

Welcome to BITOG!
welcome2.gif

Today's conventional (dino) oils are much better than they were a long time ago, so your mechanic buddy is half right there... but he didn't tell you that with synthetics, you can have longer OCI's (oil change intervals). Most of us here agree that dino oils will go for an OCI of about 5k to 7.5k miles. Synthetic oils can last from 7.5k to 12.5k (and some say even further).

So, this all depends on how often you want to be changing your oil.

Now, there is nothing wrong with Valvoline dino, but I'd only have an OCI of just 5k with it. If that's what you want, then your fine, no problems.

But here on BITOG we like to recommend more than "good enough"...

You have an Audi with over 200k miles. I'm going to give you a few recommendations:

1. Valvoline MaxLife syn-blend 5w-30.
If you want to stick with Valvoline, use MaxLife since you have a high mileage vehicle - and, it's a synthetic blend.

2. Mobil 1 0w-40 full-syn
If you are okay with using full synthetic, this would be your best bet. It's got one of the best add-packs, and high quality base stock. You can run a 10k OCI with M1 0w-40 and call it a day.

3. Rotella T6 synthetic 5w-40
This one is an odd ball recommendation, but T6 has specs for both gas and diesel engines, making it an HDEO (heavy duty engine oil). Many people run HDEO's in their gassers for their larger add-packs.

In the end, it is up to what you want to do.

If it's a turbo I'd be using a euro grade oil. Actually a euro spec oil is probably perfect for it. M1 0w-40 is very highly regarded here on the forum. It is the benchmark against which all other oils are measured and rightly so. Walmart sells it for under 25 bucks a jug down south which makes it a great value based on the quality of the product for the cost.
Castrol euro 0w-40 is also liked here. If you prefer exotic oils motul and redline are fantastic however they cost more than m1 and the m1 has approvals from pretty much every European automaker so it's always a good bet.
How does it run. Burn any oil?any funny noises.

I believe the engine in your Audi is a 2.8 V6 twelve valve (don't think they made a 2.1)...I have two Audis with the same engine..a 1997 A6 (my 18yo daughter uses it as a DD) and 1998 Audi Cabriolet.

The V6 2.8 12v is a very, very tough engine. 200k is not a problem so long as the fluids and oil have been changed on a regular basis. My Audi A6 has about 197K and uses very little oil.

On the A6 I use a HDEO..Rotella T6 is a very good suggestion. I use Delo 15w40 as the lack of service history and removal of the valve covers (a routine that the V6 engine will need from time to time..Valve cover gaskets, clean the valve cover breather screens, camshaft end plug, breather hoses "O" rings and maybe some seals on the top end to prevent/correct oil leaks) in my A6 engine had some sludge build up..I use the Delo Dino 15w40 as I am doing some more frequent oil changes and let the Delo oil do some cleaning. The engine is solid and reliable.

On the Audi Cabriolet I use Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5w40. That engine now has about 90K miles on it and had a very good service history. I did the same thing on this engine, valve cover gaskets, clean the valve cover breather screens, camshaft end plug, breather hoses "O" rings and at the same time..installed some Audi V6 aluminium valve covers sourced at the local bone-yard from an earlier production Audi V6(the later V6 engines used a plastic valve cover) The metal valve covers are better IMHO. Very little sludge in this engine and therefore the more expensive engine oil changed less often. This engine uses very little oil too.

I would suggest taking the same route with your new A4..if the top end has no oil leaks do look under the oil filler cap and see if the engine oil has been changed regularly. If you see some sludge..a little is OK..but if you see more than you are comfortable with..do remove the valve covers and clean it up and reseal replace the gaskets. Do some 3K mile oil changes with a good HDEO too. My V6 engines like a xxw40 oils...the xw30 oils I tried seemed to encourage some oil consumption...and with the 5w40/15w40 engine oils..oil consumption in both engines near vanished.

Go to the Audi dealer and get the new and improved OEM oil filler cap part number 078103485F..about $30...it has better internals and a pressure breather built in to help prevent oil leaks. Don't buy the 078103485F off the web..there are some cheap knock-off parts out there.

Be sure and insure the timing belt/water pump/thermostat/belt roller have been changed recently..they need to be serviced every 80K miles..a broken timing belt/leaking water pump/wonky thermostat makes your careful oil selection a futile effort.

Wow, thanks for all the awesome advice and the welcome.

my Audi does not burn much oil, far as I can tell, but I'll be paying more attention now that I'll be changing my own oil. Also, I forgot to mention before, it does have an emission problem, or at least something that keeps kicking out that code every once in a while, if that makes any difference.

As for funny noises, it makes a slight gurgling noise along with the regular engine sound and it's done that consistently since we got it a year ago.

Also, I appreciate the maintenance suggestions. I've been trying to research that too.

Oh ya, but buddy also said to avoid high mileage oil since the additive that causes the rubber to swell can actually work too well and bust your hoses. I don't really believe him, but was wondering what you guys had to say.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nevets91

my Audi does not burn much oil, far as I can tell, but I'll be paying more attention now that I'll be changing my own oil. Also, I forgot to mention before, it does have an emission problem, or at least something that keeps kicking out that code every once in a while, if that makes any difference.

As for funny noises, it makes a slight gurgling noise along with the regular engine sound and it's done that consistently since we got it a year ago.

Also, I appreciate the maintenance suggestions. I've been trying to research that too.

Oh ya, but buddy also said to avoid high mileage oil since the additive that causes the rubber to swell can actually work too well and bust your hoses. I don't really believe him, but was wondering what you guys had to say.

I would use Rotella T6. You can find gallon jug in Wal Mart for $21 and something.
M1 )w40 or catsrol 0W40 would be good, but that engine is prone to have leaks. So I would stick with synthetic oil like Rotella, which is thicker on operating temperatures.
However, as long as you stick to these oils that you can find:
1. Rotella T6 5W40
2. M1 0W40
3. Catsrol 0W40
4. Pennzoil Ultra 5W40

Your Audi will make next 200K

Originally Posted By: Nevets91

If you are not burning or losing much or any oil, then don't even worry about high mileage oils.

However, your buddy is stating something of a misunderstood myth. That is, that HM oils will cause damage to seals from making them swell too much - and the other part of the myth is that once you use HM, you have to keep using it. The truth is, HM oils will not cause any harm, and even once you use one, discontinuing its use and going back to a non-HM oil will not cause any harm. In a vehicle that burns/leaks/loses oil, HM oils usually help that, and switching back to non-HM oil does nothing more than revert back to the amount of oil that was originally being used (as in, burnt or whatever). I even tested it once, I used Pennzoil HM for one OCI in my mother's 96 Ford Explorer (4.0L V6 OHV) that had about 175k at the time. When I switched back to non-HM oil, nothing was out of the ordinary at all. In my mind - myth busted.

And, after reading the other members suggestions, I now switch my order of recommendations to:
1. Rotella T6 5w-40
2. M1 0w-40 Euro

As others have said..don't worry about HM oils.

The "gurgling" noises...sorry, that is a new one..if the car is running Okay..just go with it.

Try Quattroworld.com tech forum(s)for some technical advise concerning the emissions..pretty active group over there.

As an owner of 2 Audi's I highly recommend Synthetic especially in a turbo car. I believe Audi changed their recommendations to synthetic for all cars. A lot of people recommend T6. I used it in both my S4 and A4 and it was fine. Doesn't meet the Audi spec but you are out of warranty and obviously warranty isn't an issue. That M1 does meet the spec. I have used that too with no issues. I tried Total 0W30 when it was available and I didn't notice any difference there either. I have been using Amsoil AFL 5W40 for years with no issues. Trying out the new Amsoil EFM 5W40 on my A4 this weekend. It is cheaper than AFL and if it doesn't cause any issues I will continue to use it. The 1.8t is a tough engine with sludge issues so if it survives my 5k oil change, better for me and my wallet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back