Direct Injection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I see quite a bit of talk on the UOAs asking if the car is a DI car. I was wondering how the direct injections effects the oil differently than a non DI engine.

A couple of things come up.......One is oil vapor recirculating through the PCV, which, in a DI engine, can cause deposits on the intake valves. Not so much an issue with port injection, since the solvent properties of the fuel tend to keep these deposits under control. NOAK comes into play, in avoiding these vapors as much as possible.

Second is fuel contamination of the oil. DI can tend to allow fuel to get past the rings and dilute the oil. This is something that the engine type does to the oil, not the other way around. Since dilution lowers viscosity, it is a consideration for choice of oil.

2.4L DI, I can't tell (smell of fuel) on an OC, but I'm only doing 5k OCIs w/PP 5w-30. Normal by book says 7.5k ok.
I wouldn't want to push it like 10-15k.

Originally Posted By: boundarylayer
Originally Posted By: 13Tacoma
Hello,

I see quite a bit of talk on the UOAs asking if the car is a DI car. I was wondering how the direct injections effects the oil differently than a non DI engine.

Must read Lubrizol's article on DI link.

Great article, primarily about TGDi (turbo gdi) and not GDi, but interesting nonetheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back