Lithium soap base glycol grease?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon all,

Been browsing through a shop manual for my 2007 Toyota Tundra. Toyota calls for a "lithium soap base glycol grease" for several brake components.

Tried Google, didn't come up with anything close. Anyone know if there is an Amsoil/Schaeffer's equivalent/substitute?

thanks much,
ben
patriot.gif

Mobil I think has one, they have a gycol based gear and bearing lube and I think a grease also check there site.
bruce

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the reply. Checked Mobil's page and didn't have any luck. Did find one lithium/glycol grease by Dow Corning, MolyCote something - drats, I can't find my notes where I wrote it down.

Seems that most folks are using the synthetic disc brake caliper grease that Permatex and CRC sell - neither are lithium/glycol, but they do have good track records.

I even found a listing noting that glycol greases were easily washed away by water, which seems odd for Toyota to use this type of grease in a brake caliper.

Very interesting.

thanks much!
ben

Wow, the Bendix Ceramlub looks to be fantastic stuff. I'm been using the green Permatex Synthetic Caliper Grease and it's worked fine.

But then again, both my wife and I are so easy on brakes that one brake job seems to outlast the car, so maybe I just don't know how well it does work...

thanks,
ben
patriot.gif

This stuff is an assembly lube for only the brake piston seal/O-ring, piston and rubber boot. It is not to be used for guide pins or as anti-squeal grease on the piston/pad and caliper/pad contact areas.

g052150A2.jpg

VW G 052 150 A2 comes in a 180 g/6-1/4 oz tube that costs about $20.

mori, was just thinking that to allow grease to be in contact with brake fluid, it mustn't be petroleum based, ie must be glycol, as per the original question.

Dunno, I thought he was referring to internals.

I only know it's not a mineral oil based grease. I mentioned that it's not the proper grease for external brake parts (with the exception of the rubber boot), because others in this thread talk also about grease like Ceramilub, which is for external brake parts. I would not want anybody to use an assembly grease for anything else than indicated.

Very interesting thread, y'all. Thanks for the great replies.

I'm going to have to look at the service manual again when I'm not so tired and cross-eyed. I believe they recommend the glycol grease for both internal (caliper piston to piston wall) and external parts like guide-pins.

But that doesn't make a lot of sense, as the glycol grease would probably have poor water-washout qualities. Would come right off the guide pins in the first puddle, perhaps. But, it would be great for contact with brake-fluid.

I will check and get back with y'all.

later,
b
patriot.gif

dfa141839537.jpg

Information based on Toyota TSB No. BR004-00 “Brake Pad Clicking Noise” dated Oсtober 20, 2000 and Toyota TSB No. BR94–004 “INTRODUCTION OF NEW DISC BRAKE PAD KIT” dated June 24, 1994.

Toyota Disc Brake Caliper Grease p/n 08887-80609, tube 50 gm (High-Temperature Silicone Grease) for caliper pins in floating type brake caliper for US & European markets.

Toyota Disk Brake Grease III, tube 100 gm, p/n 08887-02706 (silicone grease, mfr. Castle) is exist in Japan also.

I have a toyo too that I'm doing the front brakes on. As I understand, you need to lube the caliper pins, the area between the back of the pads and the shims, and the tops and bottoms of the pads where they fit into the caliper. Can I use Permatex dielectric tune up grease (silicone based) for all of this?
Thanks
link to product

I used dielectric grease myself for pins in my RAV4 and so far so good. But, Toyota USA (and elsewhere) is adamant about Lithium Soap Base Glycol Grease (product # 08887-01206), and I'm tempted to buy it and use it next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back