Anyone using Dexos in an older car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not much talk about Dexos here but was wondering if anyone uses it in an older vehicle. If so...do you notice any difference?

Define "older"...?

I'm using the dexos approved Pennzoil Synthetic Blend (5w-30) in a 2004 Silverado, with 82000 miles on it... and in a 2003 Ford V-10 with 36000 miles on it.

It does exactly what oil is supposed to do in both.

Older by time or mileage? My Cruze at 89k miles/almost 3 years old hasn't seen any difference running a dexos1 oil from day 1.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Define "older"...?

I'm using the dexos approved Pennzoil Synthetic Blend (5w-30) in a 2004 Silverado, with 82000 miles on it... and in a 2003 Ford V-10 with 36000 miles on it.

How about 2005 and older. I was looking for: runs better, quieter etc.

Dexos is a spec. Considering almost all synthetics and some blends meet the spec then yes millions of cars on the road are running Dexos spec oil.

may be highjacking this thread but ... can anyone explain just why GM now requires dexos spec oil???
recently bought a 2011 Impala with 3.5L LZE that owners manual says needs dexos1.
of course the 3.5L has been in production for a number of years ... and I am sure a 2010 or earlier 3.5L is no different than my 2011 3.5L so why the new "mandate" from GM???

FWIW ... haven't yet changed out the dealer installed unknown oil but will do so soon as OLI is at ~ 43% ... QSGB is probably what will end up in the crank case

Originally Posted By: Impala2011
may be highjacking this thread but ... can anyone explain just why GM now requires dexos spec oil???
recently bought a 2011 Impala with 3.5L LZE that owners manual says needs dexos1.
of course the 3.5L has been in production for a number of years ... and I am sure a 2010 or earlier 3.5L is no different than my 2011 3.5L so why the new "mandate" from GM???

FWIW ... haven't yet changed out the dealer installed unknown oil but will do so soon as OLI is at ~ 43% ... QSGB is probably what will end up in the crank case

Probably to attempt for their consumers to use a better motor oil than Lubestation 3000XL brand from the place offering $16.99 changes. I'm sure people are still running the OLM down to 0% on sub par oil and filters.

Originally Posted By: Impala2011

All their DI and/or turbocharged engines needed a stouter oil to deal with the demands of the engine. Those new engines are pretty hard on oil, and need it changed by the time the OLM says to. If not before.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Define "older"...?

How about 2005 and older. I was looking for: runs better, quieter etc.

I'm using Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 in my 1998 Toyota Sienna. It does run noticeably quieter since I've switched over to the oil (she's got over 164,xxx miles or 266,xxx km).

I can't say that the van is running better, since I'm a BITOGER so I do make sure it gets the attention it needs.

Regards, JC.

I've used Original GM 5w30 synthetic Dexos1 (made by Cosan that makes also Mobil 1 in here, so I figure if this is M1 actually) in my cars. My Subaru with 122k miles doesn't like any 5w30 anymore, or I don't like the way it sounds with any 5w30 when at op temps. In the Taurus, is fine, no weird sounds at all (good old Vulcan). I'm still on GM Leget in the Taurus, it just uses a little more oil than with M1 15w50 at road speeds, because of the lower viscosity (they are both M1 syn in my opinion, but Cosan didn't answered my question if they are the same oil for cost production reasons). City driving isn't giving greater consumption, just at highway long trips (470 miles straight).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back