Do Bosch Distance+ Filters show tears?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do Bosch Distance+ Filters show tears? these specific filters.

This is my question. I am using one now and have another in my stash. If you know of any issues, please tell me.

I know they have been, or are, made by Purolator, but I do not want to hear anything about Purolator filters in general, because that does not give the information I want.

Mine was fine after ~17K. Not much of a sample size though. I have another one on now, at 3K, but it will be a while before it comes off at 15K or 20K.

NO,

and the Purolator filter thing is reaching tin foil hat proportions.

Anything with a wire mesh backed filter media wont flex as much if that makes you lose sleep.

Originally Posted By: Cristobal

This is my question. I am using one now and have another in my stash. If you know of any issues, please tell me.

I know they have been, or are, made by Purolator, but I do not want to hear anything about Purolator filters in general, because that does not give the information I want.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: abycat
99saturn. are you doing 15k to 20k changes in your Saturn?

if you look at his link

he left the same oil filter on for 3 oci's

Originally Posted By: Rand
Originally Posted By: abycat
99saturn. are you doing 15k to 20k changes in your Saturn?

if you look at his link

he left the same oil filter on for 3 oci's

^ This. I usually stick to 5K intervals. From when I bought it at 120,000 through about 185,000/190,000 it got "whatever's cheap", lots of Peak, SuperTech and NextGen. At 190,000, in part b/c of the novelty of never using a synthetic before and in part b/c of getting synthetics for next to free/cheaper than conventionals I've used synthetic and some MMO.

Consumption has always been pretty steady at 1qt./500 miles - it might be a little less now, but I tend to also just throw in 1/4 quart every few of days as well, so my tracking might just not be as good.

I plan on leaving the D+ on for 3-4 changes, assuming the car is still running by then, I'll cut and post. If it's not, I'll just retreive the filtermag.
wink.gif

Last edited:
they last a long time while burning oil. In most cases people not keeping the oil topped up is what kills them.

My cousin's friend had a 2000ish saturn with
We were cleaning out an apartment after a death in the family

I'm dumping 2qt in the cousin's windstar.. and her friend goes...

"my car was making funny noises can you check the oil."

took 3qt to hit the bottom of dipstick IIRC
fill was 4 or 4.5qt IIRC
For some reason it blew up 2months later when she never checked or added any oil....

If you just keep them full they go longer than you want them too.

Oh and my cousin thought the low oil pressure light was the low oil level light.. she would just dump in a quart or 2 when it started flickering
15.gif

Last edited:
NO,

and the Purolator filter thing is reaching tin foil hat proportions.

Anything with a wire mesh backed filter media wont flex as much if that makes you lose sleep.

MMmmmmm, I don't think the D+ uses wire back media. I don't know of any filters that do other than the FRAM Ultra.

... and the Purolator filter thing is reaching tin foil hat proportions.

It's all a made up illusion.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Nick R
MMmmmmm, I don't think the D+ uses wire back media. I don't know of any filters that do other than the FRAM Ultra.

Toyota TRD, Royal Purple and Purolator synthetic use wire backed media. I'm sure there are others also.

Link: Purolator Synthetic Cutaway

If consumption is about 1 quart every 500 miles, unless you are doing a ton of VERY short trips, you might as well just buy the less expensive dinos or synthetics and just add a quart every 500 miles, use a long-life filter, and do not do an oil change until 15,000 miles.

My present D+ has been on for 3680 miles. I will change the oil at 7500 miles and will leave the filter in. Both oil and filter will be changed at 15,000 miles.

If consumption is about 1 quart every 500 miles, unless you are doing a ton of VERY short trips, you might as well just buy the less expensive dinos or synthetics and just add a quart every 500 miles, use a long-life filter, and do not do an oil change until 15,000 miles.

The question I always find myself asking is if there is anything additional in suspension in the oil as a function of the burning that warrents dropping it earlier (5K) / could increase burning further given the ring problems on these engines.
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back