Ecoboost or Not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I'm hearing mixed reviews about the EB engines. I'm still not ready to gamble with one, and I'm a big FMC fan. In another year or two I'd consider one. Fortunately for me, I want a new vehicle I don't need one.

Major mfgrs have used us as the guinea pigs for a long time now, we always should thank the early adopters! But the EB is already pretty much proven viable, it just has some glitches under particular duty cycles. The failure rate on the V6 is quite low and it's only the 4 bangers that have had some issues, we all know about the old V6 intercooler woes, that's all over now.

It's always nice to let that new tech be thoroughly tested before spending your hard earned money...

I'm hearing mixed reviews about the EB engines.

Just curious what? The 3.5 is solid with the exception it likes plugs every 40-50k or so. The F150 had intercooler issues but those are pretty much over now.

I know people complain about the fuel economy but that's about to be expected. Drive it hard and it's about the same as a 7.0 liter engine. Drive it sanely and you will get decent economy. I've seen 26 MPG in long highway with the SHO and with the F150 the average is about 17 (it has max tow, 4x4, and 3.73's). The SHO is fine by me and the F150 is about to be expected with the gearing it has.

Originally Posted By: itguy08

Just curious what? The 3.5 is solid with the exception it likes plugs every 40-50k or so. The F150 had intercooler issues but those are pretty much over now.

I know people complain about the fuel economy but that's about to be expected. Drive it hard and it's about the same as a 7.0 liter engine. Drive it sanely and you will get decent economy. I've seen 26 MPG in long highway with the SHO and with the F150 the average is about 17 (it has max tow, 4x4, and 3.73's). The SHO is fine by me and the F150 is about to be expected with the gearing it has.

Major oil consumption/smoking issues in the Interceptors here locally. Also transmission and rear end issues as well. One Interceptor was down for over 30 days awaiting a new rear end from Ford. There were not any parts available...whatever happened Ford wanted the rear end replaced as a unit.

I love the power the EB engine makes in these cars...the performance really is light years ahead of the Crown Vic PI's. However, long term durability under severe service may be an issue for this engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: klt1986
However, long term durability under severe service may be an issue for this engine.

I think that is precisely why Demarpaint and I agree that these get a little more R&D from those brave 'early adopters'!

Originally Posted By: itguy08

Just curious what?

Pretty much what was already mentioned in this thread.

Major oil consumption/smoking issues in the Interceptors here locally. Also transmission and rear end issues as well. One Interceptor was down for over 30 days awaiting a new rear end from Ford. There were not any parts available...whatever happened Ford wanted the rear end replaced as a unit.

I love the power the EB engine makes in these cars...the performance really is light years ahead of the Crown Vic PI's. However, long term durability under severe service may be an issue for this engine.

Thanks.

There is a new TSB out and new parts for the smoking issue. And it goes all the way back to the 2010 EB in the cars so that may be something that was bad design.

I've heard that the rear in that platform (SHO/Flex/Explorer) is an integrated unit with the clutches and such built into the rear so that may be why it needs to be replaced as a unit rather than a rebuild. Either way I don't think I'd classify a rear end or even transmission a fault with the engine.

I would have hoped that with the Law Enforcement contracts, Ford would have done tons of testing on them but it seems like something slipped through the cracks. They better get it sorted or risk loosing LOTS of sales!

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I reallllllly want to put a catch can on my parents Escape. I may end up doing it once its out of warranty.

I'd put it on now, and take it off if there's a problem while its under warranty and has to go in for service. That is unless they bring it to the dealer for service, something I don't do. My thinking is if the catch can is going to be of any benefit long term, why wait until the warranty is up? Just thinking out loud.

I reallllllly want to put a catch can on my parents Escape. I may end up doing it once its out of warranty.

catch cans do nothing for preventing intake valve deposits if that is what you are going for. This has been shown time and time again on different forums out there.

Catch cans are for increasing the octane rating of your AF mixture when you are running an agressive tune and pushing the limits. The PCV vapors lower the octane just enough for agressive tunes that it can cause detonation. They don't remove enough vapor to prevent valve deposits, though.

Here are the valves of someone who cleaned their valves, installed a BSH catch can hoping for results:

carbon.jpg

Last edited:

I'd put it on now, and take it off if there's a problem while its under warranty and has to go in for service. That is unless they bring it to the dealer for service, something I don't do. My thinking is if the catch can is going to be of any benefit long term, why wait until the warranty is up? Just thinking out loud.

They do dealer service. Can't really beat $25 for an synblend oil change that someone else is doing.

Originally Posted By: badtlc

catch cans do nothing for preventing intake valve deposits if that is what you are going for. This has been shown time and time again on different forums out there.

Catch cans are for increasing the octane rating of your AF mixture when you are running an agressive tune and pushing the limits. The PCV vapors lower the octane just enough for agressive tunes that it can cause detonation. They don't remove enough vapor to prevent valve deposits, though.

Here are the valves of someone who cleaned their valves, installed a BSH catch can hoping for results:

carbon.jpg

Wouldn't the catch can keep the pcv vapors from entering the intake? What about just sticking a filter on and venting it out into the open?

Wouldn't the catch can keep the pcv vapors from entering the intake? What about just sticking a filter on and venting it out into the open?

Removing PCV from the intake is the only sure fire way.

They do dealer service. Can't really beat $25 for an synblend oil change that someone else is doing.

I'd pass on the catch can then.

There were not any parts available...whatever happened Ford wanted the rear end replaced as a unit.

Individual parts are not available for those rear end assemblies. They are only serviced in a complete assembly. A lot of the rear drive units on the AWD vehicles are like that.

What car is that??

carbon.jpg

carbon.jpg

Turbo charged motors have been around for a long time, back in the 80's Volvo, Saab, and Porsche had them pretty well figured out.

I'd have no heartburn buying one. Just stay on top of the oil.

OTOH I think the average person who does not stay on top of maintenance will find ownership expensive. They are not as tolerant as NA motors are of abuse.

Last edited:

carbon.jpg

You also have to realize that not all catch cans are as effective as others. There are quite a few cans out there that still let a lot of oil through to the intake. The manufacturer of RX catch cans claims that their cans capture 95%+ of oil and contaminants and have done quite a bit of testing with ecoboost vehicles, I think mostly the F150. Go to f150.com and they have some various threads on this issue and catch cans.

Turbos have been around for a long time. I'd trust a major OEM like Ford to get it right, especially in a truck.

My turbo (but not DI) Cruze is doing fine at 89k miles, most of those highway miles at 55-60 mph.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back