Not open for further replies.
Fun day in Texas.
Other than Fort Hood having no water, this is what I accomplished today

10502118_10201109940949087_5184134261209008473_n.jpg

Before

10502166_10201109942669130_6491535401537648748_n.jpg

After

Took Little noise increase, will update on MPGs in a few weeks

excuse the dust btw, it will be cleaned soon enough.

Oh and I bought this off Autozone, Fireworks coupon went from 240 to 190$

The install looks pretty easy. I'd be interested in knowing the Intake Air Temperature (standard OBD-II data point) with the cone installed vs. without, if you have a scanner. It would also have required you to track that before installation, though, so...probably not, huh?
smile.gif

Enjoy your Dart.

I'm still amazed that BITOGers will actually install a K&N and then even more amazed that they will admit it!

You will never see a MPG increase to recover that $190. Maybe if you wash the filter (which makes it filter worse again vs dirty) you will slowly recover that expense vs buying paper filters over hundreds of thousands of miles.

Also looks more likely to bring in warm/hot underhood air vs the OEM intake.

$190 for a noisemaker

laugh.gif

It has a heat shield to isolate the filter from the engine, but the 200+ degree coolant overflow reservoir is within 2 inches of the filter. That can't be good for air intake temps!

Oh yes I would just love for more dirt to be sucked into my engine, just so it looks cool, can gain 40 more horsepower, can gain 20 extra mpg, empty my wallet more, and suck in hotter air
121pt89.jpg

What happened to the hose that went from the air filter housing around the dip stick?

If you oil the filter media does the oil contaminate the air flow sensor down stream?

Is this care driven on the street or mainly an off road car?

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

If you oil the filter media does the oil contaminate the air flow sensor down stream?

No MAF sensor, its a speed-density system with a MAP sensor as are all Chrysler engines. So at least that's one way that a K&N can't hurt it...

But the inside of the intake manifold will get nasty from all the dirt that gets through the filter... it should be plenty obvious from the rest of the engine bay that while it may not be Tuscon, there still is enough dust in CenTex to warrant good air filtration.

In case you haven't guessed, I'm not a big fan of CAI kits and K&N air filters for street-driven cars. I used a K&N drop-in years ago, and while the engine lived to a ripe old age, the inside of the intake when I had it apart at one time convinced me to go back to a paper filter.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
What happened to the hose that went from the air filter housing around the dip stick?

Is this care driven on the street or mainly an off road car?

Virtually impossible to damage the sensor unless you install the filter when it is literally dripping wet with oil. Even then, the sensor can be cleaned easily.

looks cool dude, however in all honesty the others are telling you the truth.. you paid $190 for a noise maker.

I to was a believer.. however have since pulled all mine..

Last edited:
be sure to replace the k&n filter with an actual, working filter and you are good to go.

and I'm surprised how many people don't know that increasing intake temperatures increases MPGs, especially on lean burn engines like modern DI engines.

Last edited:
Meh I'd put it back to stock and spend the $190 on something else.

For a cheap few HP I'm sure their are chips available for that car.

Last edited:
I used to put a cai on everything,until I clued in a stock engine is matched to the intake so velocity can be maximized throughout the entire rpm range,instead of just at wife open throttle.
My c3 has a k&n intake and filter and of course a throttle body spacer. I can say truly,without a doubt my 99(with a 5.3) has more part throttle power and this truck pulls great when floored its a bit sluggish when light inputs are required.
I'm not trashing you though. Modding is fun,and expensive.

The effectiveness of a CAI depends on the individual vehicle; I picked up @24 bhp when I installed a Mazdaspeed CAI on my MS3; the 30-70 mph 3rd gear times dropped by 0.61 seconds. In contrast, a CAI makes absolutely no difference on my 1995 3er; I was lucky to pick up 12 bhp with a Turner/Conforti chip...

Originally Posted By: MCompact
The effectiveness of a CAI depends on the individual vehicle; I picked up @24 bhp when I installed a Mazdaspeed CAI on my MS3; the 30-70 mph 3rd gear times dropped by 0.61 seconds. In contrast, a CAI makes absolutely no difference on my 1995 3er; I was lucky to pick up 12 bhp with a Turner/Conforti chip...

Times a million.

My car gets 10 of its hp from a factory modded air intake that is radically different from a regular 5.7 car. A 'snoot' will add virtually nothing but noise.

On my personal Silverado it was good for a full one mpg!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back