Contemplating 7/8 Passenger Vehicle Models

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm hoping to poll the wisdom of the forum as I start searching to potentially upgrade a vehicle. I'm looking at new 2014/2015 vehicles that carry 7/8 passengers and have decent cargo space. I've been browsing in the $28K-$36K range, and have come to focus on the following:

2014 Dodge Durango
2014 Ford Explorer
2014 Honda Pilot
2014 Honda Odyssey

I have sat in the Pilot and Odyssey (the Odyssey I tried sat 8, EX model I think), and I really liked the roominess and features of that vehicle. In fact I was starting to lean in that direction... But I'm disappointed to hear of some pretty serious problems with that model, including a class action against Honda posted in this thread: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3422790/Honda_Odyssey_Touring

So I'm looking for any suggestions or advice as I shop. I tend to buy vehicles with the intent of keeping them for the life of the vehicle (I won't lease or flip trade) and I try to maintain them meticulously for long vehicle life. I'm looking for a reliable 7/8 passenger vehicle that will give many years of good, trouble-free service. Should I be looking at other models that offer 7/8 passengers and great cargo space? Is Honda really reliable or not? I had always thought their vehicles had legendary reliability until now.

Any pertinent advice or suggestions are welcome. Thanks!
smile.gif

I think the Sienna is a very attractive package of roominess/comfort, performance, and reliability. Avoid the AWD version unless you really need it.

The Odyssey is getting a lot of praise from the auto journalists. You should seriously consider it.

Honda is still selling reliable vehicles, but others have caught up and possibly surpassed them.

Originally Posted By: theKman
I think the Sienna is a very attractive package of roominess/comfort, performance, and reliability. Avoid the AWD version unless you really need it.

Thanks for the suggestion! I don't need AWD nor 4WD, but I wouldn't be against having them per se. Do they tend to decrease reliability?!?

Check into lifespan (and repairs) on the electric doors on minivans. Seems like every electric door I know of has had to have repairs. I know families tend to like the doors but we taught our kids to not swing the doors wide open; and we live in the sticks anyhow.

Third seats tend to be hard to get to, unless if a minivan. Usually one loses cargo space if using the last row too. Unless if I needed towing and/or ground clearance, I'd go minivan first if I thought I was going to move that many people on a regular basis.

If it was me I'd probably go GC, as much of a snob as I am, I'm not sure they are worth it, not when you can buy a GC for less, run it into the ground and repeat. And have cheaper parts in the process. I'm not convinced that the GC is that much worse than the other models; and everyone now raves about how good Dodge has gotten to be, so I'd be willing to take a gamble.

The new Mitsubishi Outlander V6 - and it passes the small overlap crash test - the same test in which the Honda Pilot crumpled-up like a piece of tin foil. It MAY be too small for your needs if the back two passengers are not children. Other wise - Chrysler Towne and Country - or similar.

The hideous Houndawg Oddity looks like a Funeral Flower Carrier or Hearse - especially in Black
But, what do I know, I only carry just me in a ugly, tiny tin can to work and back ...
smile.gif
2014+Mitsubishi+Outlander+US-Version+4.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dparm
The Odyssey is getting a lot of praise from the auto journalists. You should seriously consider it.

Honda is still selling reliable vehicles, but others have caught up and possibly surpassed them.

I really liked the Odyssey until I read that thread. Is that issue in the linked BITOG thread legit or is that an isolated issue?

You are correct that just about every review has praised the Odyssey, which perplexes me as if there are serious reliability issues.. wouldn't they be getting really dinged in the media/

Originally Posted By: SwedishRider
Originally Posted By: dparm

I really liked the Odyssey until I read that thread. Is that issue in the linked BITOG thread legit or is that an isolated issue?

You are correct that just about every review has praised the Odyssey, which perplexes me as if there are serious reliability issues.. wouldn't they be getting really dinged in the media/

That was for a 2005, which was a much older model. I don't think it's really that relevant to your decision on a 2014.

The journalists are just looking at the car after driving it for a week. They are not really speaking to its long-term reliability. You have to look at the other articles for that (long term test report or whatever they call it).

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
The new Mitsubishi Outlander V6 - and it passes the small overlap crash test - the same test in which the Honda Pilot crumpled-up like a piece of tin foil. It MAY be too small for your needs if the back two passengers are not children. Other wise - Chrysler Towne and Country - or similar.

The hideous Houndawg Oddity looks like a Funeral Flower Carrier or Hearse - especially in Black
But, what do I know, I only carry just me in a ugly, tiny tin can to work and back ...
smile.gif

The new Outlander looks even better in person. I have seen a handful of them driving around already.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
The new Mitsubishi Outlander V6 - and it passes the small overlap crash test - the same test in which the Honda Pilot crumpled-up like a piece of tin foil. It MAY be too small for your needs if the back two passengers are not children.

Sharp looking vehicle- I'll have to look into this! Thank you!
smile.gif

the honda minivan had the worst 3rd row seat, even a child would hate it. it was super low and uncomfy.
I bought the toyota minivan instead.
on long trips event that would get tight. now I am looking at a full size van :-(

If you're looking for 7/8 passenger and storage, I would recommend either the Sienna or Odyssey. Easy access to 3rd row. Decent gas mileage. I own a 2013 Sienna and love it. Like another poster mentioned, avoid the AWD unless necessary.

Had a rental Durango a couple years ago, plenty of room (I'm 6'4") plenty of power with the Pentastar, awd, and 23 mpg highway through the hilss of WV at 65-70 mph. Solid vehicle.

Thanks for the suggestion! I don't need AWD nor 4WD, but I wouldn't be against having them per se. Do they tend to decrease reliability?!?

The spare tire on a front-wheel drive Sienna is located under the second row, accessed from under the vehicle. On an AWD version, the drive shaft runs right through this area, so those models are equipped with run-flat tires. And unless things have changed dramatically in the few years since I was a Toyota Service Advisor, you'd probably only get about 20K loud miles out of those tires before requiring costly replacement. Consumer reports rates the front-wheel drive version as more reliable, but aside from tires I'm not sure why. I never saw drivetrain problems with them.

Originally Posted By: supton
Check into lifespan (and repairs) on the electric doors on minivans. Seems like every electric door I know of has had to have repairs. I know families tend to like the doors but we taught our kids to not swing the doors wide open; and we live in the sticks anyhow.

This is something I did see a fair amount of. The motor/cable system in the power doors would bind up and require replacement. I wouldn't say it was particularly common, but I saw my fair share. Power sliding doors appear to be standard equipment now, so you probably can't get a minivan without them, but I think the convenience is worth the slight risk.

You need to have your head examined if you are going to purchase brand new Mitsubishi today. The chances of that company selling any vehicles in USA around for few more years are pretty grim.

We dont need seating for 7-8 yet, but child car seats coupled with very tall parents creates a real need for a bigger car with multiple rows... Especially if you consider that we travel a lot, and need to carry strollers, pack and plays, booster seats, etc. Rear-facing is safest, but also the most obtrusive to the front seat passengers.

Having traveled with friends and relatives who have minivans, and those who have large three row SUVs (suburbans, infinitis, etc), minivan wins, hands down. There is no comparison in terms of the utility from the aspect of space for passengers, space for cargo in the three-row arrangement (suburban is good for that), economy, convenience of a sliding door vs. swing-out, etc.

Our issue is that all the minivans are due for a refresh in the next year or two, but we will probably want more space sooner. We will see what we do.

Regardless, Id look at the vans, but consider a cheaper used one in the interim, because I think that the next bunch will be better in every way but also much more economical.

Originally Posted By: morris
what load rating do you need?

Not sure what you mean here. I won't be towing, but want the ability to haul 7/8 people when needed (and with some cargo space with all seats in use).

Originally Posted By: morris
what load rating do you need?

Not sure what you mean here. I won't be towing, but want the ability to haul 7/8 people when needed (and with some cargo space with all seats in use).

OP, Can i trow in 2 unusual ones?
-sprinter diesel/bluetec passenger version (you have more than enough cargo room)
-the new ford connect wagon. is actually kind of like a class under the minivans you specified. cargo room with all seats up= not a lot.

good luck in your search.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back