2006 Toyota Camry Throttle Body Cleaning at 60,000

Status
Not open for further replies.
My sister-in-law has a 2006 Toyota Camry with 60,000 miles on it. She gets the oil changed at the Dealer and they recommend additional services.

They recommended a Throttle Body Cleaning at 60,000 miles. The car idles fine and has no hesitation problems. I told her I didn't think she needed this. It was $155.

What is your opinion?

Last edited:
Do it yourself and save $150.

I do mine on my 98 Sienna once a year. It's overkill, but my Sienna runs like a champ. Also make sure you clean the Idle Air control valve if it has one.

Regards, JC.

If it is a BG service it is a good service. $155 is too much in my opinion. We charge $120. I personally have a 2010 camry and I use Amsoil Power Foam followed by Amsoil PI or BG 44k

You can treat it with MAF spray, TB spray, and use seafoam through a vacuum line for far less than dealer cost, and get the same quality of repair.

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
My sister-in-law has a 2006 Toyota Camry with 60,000 miles on it. She gets the oil changed at the Dealer and they recommend additional services.

I have had 6 Toyta/Lexus vehicles...(have 3 now) I clean the throttle body at 140,000 miles when I replace spark plugs.

60k is way too soon. Upsell by dealer. Buy her 4 bottles of Techron at Walmart and tell her to use one in a full tank of gas every 20,000 miles. Then clean the TB

BTW, I trade most in at 165-200,000 miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Doog
Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner

I have had 6 Toyta/Lexus vehicles...(have 3 now) I clean the throttle body at 140,000 miles when I replace spark plugs.

60k is way too soon. Upsell by dealer. Buy her 4 bottles of Techron at Walmart and tell her to use one in a full tank of gas every 20,000 miles. Then clean the TB

BTW, I trade most in at 165-200,000 miles.

Exactly how does Techron or any other additive clean the throttle body? The intake valves and combustion chamber, yes, but the throttle body?

I've never seen Techron, Gumout, FP Plus, or any other worthy gasoline additive advertise throttle body cleaning as part of their "treatment" regime.

Then again, maybe I missed something..............

I was having idle issues with my 2.0L Zetec in my 1996 Contour. I assumed it was the IAC valve issues. Looked at replacing it and saw it was a real b^tch to replace on my engine. So I cleaned the the TB in the hopes that would be a cheap and easy way to help the idle. Low and behold it did wonders. It now idles fairly steady and as a bonus I have a much better running car overall after almost 19 years. Cheap and easy maintenance to do, should have done it a long time ago. Other than the cost of the TB cleaner I had to buy the wife a new toothbrush
grin.gif

Whimsey

I used to clean the 'throttle body' when I had my Tacoma, about every 2 years or so. The main problem was the gas pedal would 'have resistance' as you pressed on it. It took extra force to give it gas from idle.

I took the intake tube off and cleaned it with carb cleaner, a rag, and a tool with some reach to clean the inside with the rag. I'm sure there are Utube videos of how to do it. I never payed the dealer, fairly easy to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back