Any one heard of FSA oil filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Local oil filter distributor say these are great and filter down to 15 micron. Apparently made in Indonesia. He sells Baldwins as well and say these are as good.

Any comments?

PS. From checking on the net it looks like they are owned by Sakura Japan, but made in Indonesia. But I may be wrong!

[ September 05, 2005, 12:34 AM: Message edited by: theguru ]

they've been available for years.
I think they are made by ADR who manufacture Sakura (in Indonesia) and also have a joint facility in Indo with Donaldson. I've used lots of Indonesian made Donaldson's and Sakura's and aren't that impressed with them. Crook ADBV's, end cap glue all over the place, pleat spacing all over the place, etc.

I've been either using OEM if under warranty (Nissan 200sx) or Purolulator Premium Plus. Maybe I should stay with those.

I used to use them a few years ago,no problems.There was a dust up with Repco in Aust at one stage when FSA were acused of dumping - but Repco use Ryco filters,some of which were rebranded FSA at the time.

The same distributor I spoke to about the FSA filters mentioned that he had a wholesaler trying to sell him $1- oil filters. He said no way even though he would make a good make-up. The FSA's are $6- retail (1 gather more than $1 wholesale). I think from memory the Purolators are about $10-12.

I just got some Indonesian Sakura's today and they look pretty good at a quick inspection.Fitted one dual element to the Laurel diesel and will fit a dual element to my Pajero diesel on saturday.I replace the Pajero filter every 2 mths,so will compare it to the Japanese Sakura I used last time,and the Sultanate of Oman I have on now.

quote:

Originally posted by theguru:
Local oil filter distributor say these are great and filter down to 15 micron. Apparently made in Indonesia. He sells Baldwins as well and say these are as good.

Any comments?

Filtering "down to" a certain micron size doesn't necessarily mean it filters ALL particles to that size.
At a minimum, you need a "nominal micron size" and better yet are some beta #'s.
I would think most any filter probably filters "down to" 1 micron or less if even 1 particle of that size gets "trapped" in the filter.

quote:

Originally posted by theguru:

Any comments?

Filtering "down to" a certain micron size doesn't necessarily mean it filters ALL particles to that size.
At a minimum, you need a "nominal micron size" and better yet are some beta #'s.
I would think most any filter probably filters "down to" 1 micron or less if even 1 particle of that size gets "trapped" in the filter. I guess it depends on whose definition of "down to".

Well, I went to another distributor who deals more in trucks etc. He sells the FSA, but also Balwins.

He said the FSA's were built to a price and they did not recommend extended drains. His recommendation was 3 months or 5000km.

I decided to buy the Baldwin. He thought they were better built and suitable for extended drains.

How the Baldwin compares to the Purolator Premium Plus maybe someone could comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back