Suicide

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am LE and last night around 830pm a good friend "ate his gun" as it's termed. 4 kids, 10 and 11 boys with 18yr old girl in transit to Michigan to begin her college career with her 21yr old brother making the delivery. The delivery was early, 21 year old brother is beginning NYPD academy in August.

Spend 15 years working with him. Never showed a sign. I will Probably never understand it.....RIP.

Last edited:
That is sad. It seems in the majority of cases like this there never was a sign because the person keeps whatever that is ailing them pent up and it's never even spoken about with anyone, let alone dealt with in a healthy manner.

sorry to hear about your loss. I can't imagine what he was going through especially leaving the kids behind. RIP

I have had a friend do that and it is incredibly hard on the family. Even if he left a note to try and explain his thoughts, it is still a huge shock. I feel horrible for his kids. I wish he would have opened up to somebody and at least tried to get some help.

When they do that,they are only thinking of themselves,and not about who is left behind.Very selfish.

What a terrible situation. I expect it was impossible for this man to articulate what was hurting him and obviously even more difficult to ask for help. Prayers to the family....

I work in a state prison, which I guess qualifies as LE.
We had a 28 yo kid on perimeter patrol kill himself with a duty weapon one night around shfit change some years ago.
Why?
What could be so bad that anyone would think that taking his life was the best possible answer?
There is no easy way to deal with this.
It's just so hard to understand.

Sorry to hear that. I was 16 when my father could not take it any more. He stuck a tube in the tailpipe of our truck. Some classmates found him and took him to ER. It was too late.

I hope the kids/family can get proper support. It took 16 years until I understood it was being in a machine gun nest in Korea that was too much for him to deal with when he was 18. Until then I felt something I did caused him to kill himself.

When I was doing training as a therapist I had a lady come in for grief therapy. Her sister's retired police officer husband killed the sister and children then took his own life.

I am at a loss for words right now as I was back then. This family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Sorry to hear. Usually yhere are some signs, easily missed. Support for the family at this point....

Brother in LE, sadly this happens oh too often. Was he in LE? I will keep the family as well as you in my prayers. Stay safe and never get complacent.

Sorry for the loss of your friend. I retired after 27 years in federal LE. Obviously there are on the job pressures that many people don't understand or appreciate. But I wish your friend had sought some help from an agency shrink, or better yet, one of his choosing. It might have made a difference.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
Sorry for the loss of your friend. I retired after 27 years in federal LE. Obviously there are on the job pressures that many people don't understand or appreciate. But I wish your friend had sought some help from an agency shrink, or better yet, one of his choosing. It might have made a difference.

I would hope some people get psychological help, too, but many people don't want to admit their problems, others are afraid that if they do admit, they get sent to some mysterious hospital and locked away for years.

I don't know how to improve such situations.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
When they do that,they are only thinking of themselves,and not about who is left behind.Very selfish.

Suicide is almost always linked to depression. That is a mental illness we all need to talk more about to remove the stigma so people will get help for it.

I am so very sorry to hear of your loss, especially one as confusing as this. May God grant you, his family and friends comfort and peace. May God also grant him a place in heaven where he can find the peace he could not find in this life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back