Engine Cleaning - What Oil Weight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is how I found out about it (bear with me):

When my dad was seriously ill I had to travel from here to KY to help my sisters out with dad. The car rental group I worked with did not have a vehicle on such a short notice.

So I had to drive a distance of 520 miles one way, in my 2003 Nissan PathFinder, V6 engine. First over 30 mile trip with this vehicle in 7 years. Vehicle has 146,000 miles on it.

After going through the Ozark hills in Missouri, and about 70 miles from Dad's house, I started loosing power on hill climbs. It had never done this before. It would downshift to 3rd or second gear and rev up to 4,000 rpm on climbs.

I pulled off of I-55 and proceeded through the two-lane backroads and nursed it to dad's house.

The next day I took it to my Dad's favorite mechanic who had a big shop in town. He had just recently hired a Nissan mechanic away from a Nissan stealership. The Nissan mechanic diagnosed the problem as a malfunctioning VVT valve, most likely carboned up and sticking.

The shop was two weeks behind (a roof had collapsed in one section of the shop from heavy snow a week before).

The owner and head mechanic suggested I go to the AZ store and use the Rislone product in the meantime. I thought to myself, "Geez, another shade tree goodoleboy mechanic trying to blow a Yankee off" because he was overbooked.

Well, here I was 520 miles from home with a sick PathFinder, so what the heck.

I purchased the Rislone product and put a half quart into the engine. Within 10 miles the engine smoothed out and power was restored. No more downshifts.

Before I left the area I went and told the owner thanks and the engine had returned to normal. He said he has seen this many times where these Nissan engines have not been run hot enough to sweep the carbon from the VVT control valves, especially in these year engines where they had an early VVT control system. He said these valves will stick early on if oil changes are NOT done using the severe service schedule. Well, I have always used the severe service schedule for all my vehicles, especially since I have my own lubricants.

So when I got back home I had it analyzed.

As you know I am not a fan of aftermarket additives and do not believe they are needed, except for specific circumstances.

In this case, the Rislone product did the job.

Last edited:
thanks for sharing that molakule. i've been contemplating running the concentrate every 50k miles or so because I like to try and keep things as clean as possible. For $5, it is like why not try it now and then?

As far as mixing, I'd go heavier with either MMO or the Rislone.

Since it's a Jeep, Rotella T6 is the first to come to mind.

If sump is over 5qts. Go with M1 HM 10w-40 jug Plus your additive for cost effectiveness. I'd lean toward the rislone with the M1.

Run either for a limited Interval.

I've used LiquiMoly Proline engine flush before. 10 min idle and change. I've also run MMO for a 3k with PYB 10w-40. If using MMO, check you level every fill up or two, it often loses a little volume.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
The next day I took it to my Dad's favorite mechanic who had a big shop in town. He had just recently hired a Nissan mechanic away from a Nissan stealership. The Nissan mechanic diagnosed the problem as a malfunctioning VVT valve, most likely carboned up and sticking... In this case, the Rislone product did the job.

Right, Rislone did the job, but so would MMO or a host of other products, provided they contained either solvent or very thin oil or both. The VVT mechanism really wasn't carboned up - it was gummed up - possibly from using oil of too heavy weight, or maybe just drivng the vehicle around town, and not enough highway miles.

Toyotas (and a lot of other VVT vehicles) suffer from this same syndrome (even with oil as heavy as 10w-30). I've seen Toyota oil pressure lights come on (which really gets some attention!) simply because the oil pressure is low (or non-existent) somewhere north of the VVT mechanism. The engine (not counting the VVT) is actually running just fine. There's an odd message on this board from a user who states that he lost oil pressure because of adding L-M MoS2, which somehow clogged his oil filter - an almost impossible scenario. To a certainty, his oil pressure was fine but his oil pressure light came on because his oil weight was too heavy or his VVT engine was otherwise gummed up - all totally unrelated to any oil additive.

Rislone is fine - this is not intended to criticize the product - but it is hardly unique. Modern Japanese engines like very thin oil - the thinner the better.

are you trying to tell a tribologist and blender you know more about oil and how additives work than he does?

Originally Posted By: badtlc
are you trying to tell a tribologist and blender you know more about oil and how additives work than he does?

Did you even read what I wrote?

To quote Molakute from another thread "If it is the [Rislone] Yellow bottled CCase cleaner then you most likely thinned the oil significantly (since it's a 20 weight) so it could have done some minor cleaning." I would be surprised if it is really 20w - more like 10w. Advance Auto advertises Rislone as 'penetrating oil'. Which is to say, it's a lot like MMO (without the fragrance and red color).

Despite the endless threads on BITOG about an endless number of "unique" additive products, most of the products fall into a limited number of groups: fuel additives containing PEA, oil additives with ZDDP, oil additives that are mostly thin mineral oil and solvent (MMO, probably Rislone), oil additives with PTFE (which you should avoid), etc. etc. The big advantage of MMO (in the pale oil solvent group) is it is less expensive.

Originally Posted By: dave5358
The next day I took it to my Dad's favorite mechanic who had a big shop in town. He had just recently hired a Nissan mechanic away from a Nissan stealership. The Nissan mechanic diagnosed the problem as a malfunctioning VVT valve, most likely carboned up and sticking... In this case, the Rislone product did the job.

Right, Rislone did the job, but so would MMO or a host of other products, provided they contained either solvent or very thin oil or both. The VVT mechanism really wasn't carboned up - it was gummed up - possibly from using oil of too heavy weight, or maybe just drivng the vehicle around town, and not enough highway miles.

Toyotas (and a lot of other VVT vehicles) suffer from this same syndrome (even with oil as heavy as 10w-30). I've seen Toyota oil pressure lights come on (which really gets some attention!) simply because the oil pressure is low (or non-existent) somewhere north of the VVT mechanism. The engine (not counting the VVT) is actually running just fine. There's an odd message on this board from a user who states that he lost oil pressure because of adding L-M MoS2, which somehow clogged his oil filter - an almost impossible scenario. To a certainty, his oil pressure was fine but his oil pressure light came on because his oil weight was too heavy or his VVT engine was otherwise gummed up - all totally unrelated to any oil additive.

Rislone is fine - this is not intended to criticize the product - but it is hardly unique. Modern Japanese engines like very thin oil - the thinner the better.

I don't think the VVT valve was carboned up either (that was the mechanic's explanation and I think it was a general explanation). I think it was sticking from either thick varnish or a piece of gummy sludge or both. The oil weight is not in question since I run a 5W30 full synthetic the year round. I do think I will do occasional "Italian Tuneups" and make some longer trips in it just to make sure it gets to max temp.

Quote:
Which is to say, it's a lot like MMO (without the fragrance and red color).

I would have to disagree here.

The Rislone product contains no light hydrocarbon solvents. It does contains a detergent/dispersant chemistry similar to Pennzoil's, an ester, a friction modifier, an AW agent, and testing did show it was a 5W20 weight.

16 oz. of a 5W20 in a 5.5L capacity sump would only reduce the viscosity about 0.5 cSt at the most.

Whether or not MMO would have have the same effect, who knows, but this mechanic has 35 years of experience with all makes of vehicles, and when you're in a pinch, you take the best advice advice you can get and run with it.
smile.gif

Just to be clear, this was the Rislone Engine oil treatment, Part Number 100QR seen at

Rislone EOS

and not the engine oil supplement with zinc treatment.

Again, I am not a fan of any third party engine oil additive but this one did solve a problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: a5m

I don't think the VVT valve was carboned up either (that was the mechanic's explanation and I think it was a general explanation). I think it was sticking from either thick varnish or a piece of gummy sludge or both. The oil weight is not in question since I run a 5W30 full synthetic the year round. I do think I will do occasional "Italian Tuneups" and make some longer trips in it just to make sure it gets to max temp.

Quote:

The Rislone product contains no light hydrocarbon solvents. It does contains a detergent/dispersant chemistry similar to Pennzoil's, an ester, a friction modifier, an AW agent, and testing did show it was a 5W20 weight.

16 oz. of a 5W20 in a 5.5L capacity sump would only reduce the viscosity about 0.5 cSt at the most.

Whether or not MMO would have have the same effect, who knows, but this mechanic has 35 years of experience with all makes of vehicles, and when you're in a pinch, you take the best advice advice you can get and run with it.
smile.gif

Just to be clear, this was the Rislone Engine oil treatment, Part Number 100QR seen at

Rislone EOS

Again, I am not a fan of any third party engine oil additive but this one did solve a problem.

It sounds like something worth trying. I am not a big fan of oil additives either but I believe they do have their place in certain situations as you say.
Cant beat the price thats for sure. Thanks for the info!

Originally Posted By: Trav

Quote:

smile.gif

Rislone EOS

It sounds like something worth trying. I am not a big fan of oil additives either but I believe they do have their place in certain situations as you say.
Cant beat the price thats for sure. Thanks for the info!

I'd give it a shot too.

From their site they say this:

Bar's Products, Inc. announced it's purchase of the Shaler Company and Rislone name brand in May of 2006. The goal was to maintain the integrity of the original Rislone formula while updating the overall look of the products you see in stores today.

Here's a product from 1921 that still works, if the above info is still correct. When you have something good no point in changing it.

Update -

Finally got the oil changed yesterday. It was pretty dirty after about 3500 miles. I decided to go with Maxlife HM 10w30 synth blend. It's a 6 quart crankcase, put in 5 quarts oil, 1 quart MMO.
I'll keep an extra quart of Maxlife HM 10w30 in the car and check it every so often. I decided to use a slightly thicker oil, but not too much, to start with. From my experience with troubleshooting in any arena, I've found that not changing too much too quickly is often better. Small adjustments.

I'm going to run a short OCI, 2500 miles at the most, do another 1 quart MMO next oil change, then probably switch to a full synthetic oil.

Originally Posted By: niero
Update -

Finally got the oil changed yesterday. It was pretty dirty after about 3500 miles. I decided to go with Maxlife HM 10w30 synth blend. It's a 6 quart crankcase, put in 5 quarts oil, 1 quart MMO.
I'll keep an extra quart of Maxlife HM 10w30 in the car and check it every so often. I decided to use a slightly thicker oil, but not too much, to start with. From my experience with troubleshooting in any arena, I've found that not changing too much too quickly is often better. Small adjustments.

I'm going to run a short OCI, 2500 miles at the most, do another 1 quart MMO next oil change, then probably switch to a full synthetic oil.

Sounds like a good plan. You could go to 3,000 miles for your cleanup if you'd like.

I think what MolaKule is saying is that a person should not put something like Techron that contains PEA into the motor oil. But a product like Techron with PEA is designed to be used in the gasoline for cleaning and combustion. PEA is already used as an additive in gasolines.

There is a difference.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
I think what MolaKule is saying is that a person should not put something like Techron that contains PEA into the motor oil. But a product like Techron with PEA is designed to be used in the gasoline for cleaning and combustion. PEA is already used as an additive in gasolines.

There is a difference.

Originally Posted By: Rosetta
Just wondering about Poly Ether Amina in the cranckcase (fuel system cleaner like techron). Is it a non-go? I think it is a non-goo.

Originally Posted By: sw99
I would run 80% Delvac 1300 15w40 (because it's cheap - Under $12 a gallon at WM) and 20% MMO. That seems to really clean the internals. I am currently doing this on my varnished 1ZZFE engine.

My favorite combo as well (15w40 HDEO plus MMO). Currently running an OCI's worth of Delo/MMO in the Lumina, it is crudded up after years of coolant contamination (now fixed).

So I just noticed an issue yesterday. My Jeep almost stalled a couple times when idling or going a few miles an hour in stop and go traffic.
I just filled up the gas tank Saturday, and put in the Lucas Oil fuel treatment w/ 23 gallons gas. (Lucas Oil fuel add. is for up to 20 gallons, IIRC.)
About 5 days before I half-filled the tank with no additives.
About 5-7 days before that I had put 8-10 ounces of MMO in the fuel with about 19 gallons gas.
I'm not going to run any fuel additives for at least 3-6 weeks going forward.

A week ago, did oil change, as mentioned a few posts above.
6 quart engine.
5 quarts Valv Maxlife HM 10w30
1 quart MMO
(I normally use Maxlife HM 5w30.)
This OCI and previous have all used the synth blend of Maxlife. Will switch to a full synth after I run the MMO one more OCI.

I've read on here that once in a while fuel or engine treatments can clean things and uncover problems. Any ideas?

I've got to take it into the shop soon as there's a clunking/clicking sound coming from under the front end when I turn or go over bumps. I'll have them look at the stalling issue but I also like to get multiple opinions.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back