Used oil analisys on Renault Megane II Break 1.5 D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does yor car have DPF? If not i would use Selenia WR 5w40 in this Megane. It's one of the best common rail engine oil for cars without DPF. And shorten your OCI to 10 k km or 1 year if you are doing alot of short trips. And you really don't need 5w30 in your hot/ moderate climate.

Originally Posted By: chrisri
Does yor car have DPF? If not i would use Selenia WR 5w40 in this Megane. It's one of the best common rail engine oil for cars without DPF. And shorten your OCI to 10 k km or 1 year if you are doing alot of short trips. And you really don't need 5w30 in your hot/ moderate climate.

Hi chrisri.

What is DPF?

My car uses Castrol Edge 5W40 not 5W30.

Thanks.

Hi chrisri.

What is DPF?

My car uses Castrol Edge 5W40 not 5W30.

Thanks. [/quote]

DPF= diesel particulate filter,an emission nonsense,but you probably don't have any in your Megane since you are using Edge 5w40. Some others recommended 5w30 oils and this is why i mention that grade.Stick with Castrol but keep your oil change interval under 10000 km.

Diesel are usually bullet proof!check engine oil pump thread online,i dont know any diesel engine that need a big fix at 150k

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
Diesel are usually bullet proof!check engine oil pump thread online,i dont know any diesel engine that need a big fix at 150k

yvon_la,
You Know now, In Portugal Renault recommends changing the big end bearing on 1.5dci (Renault, Nissan and Dacia) between 100 and 150k!

If you google it, chectk on foruns or contact Renault stands it's easy to find.

I aint saying the bearing isnt an issue ,but usually oil pressure is the culprit.side note stuff like twin cam and variable ....is fairly new on the diesel world wouldnt surprise me if pressure of oil need to be 5 or 10 psi higher then it used too

yvon_la,

yes some times i've heard about oil pressure too, but is just another teorie like others, not confirmed.

Thanks.

Hi there.

I've requested a second engine oil anaisys and I need some help to interpretate it based in the topic domain.

2_An_lise_para_os_f_runs.jpg

Renault Megane II Break 1.5 Dci, 105 hp from 2007. Diesel engine.

I change the oil at 15.000 Km intervals, and the oil i'm using is Castro Edge 5W30.

Many thanks.

Hi Jorge. I don't know anything about your little diesel but at least in this latest oil sample everything is in line with universal averages. As of last summer Blackstone mentioned averages were based on 10,300 km and you're fairly close to that. That's a good sign.

However, if Renault had some parts with bad metallurgy they may crack and break apart without warning. Oil analysis can't predict when a piece of metal is fatigued and about to break apart. Nor can oil analysis see big pieces, only real small particles.

The silicon does seem to run high in that Renault engine. Universal averages are at 24 ppm and your latest sample is much higher still. Last summer you said you put in a new air filter but make sure all the seals and fittings are properly secured and not letting any extra dust enter. Some people use a little grease around the edges of the air filter box for help in this area. You may not need it, just make sure all plumbing is a good fit.

Sorry I can't be of more help regarding your concerns with the bearings.

Hi Jorge. Is the problem you are concerned about due to bearings just wearing out prematurely as if there's poor lubrication? Or are there parts breaking? You mentioned shells breaking.

Your results show everything to be ok and if you have normal oil pressure I think you're ok right now. I just wondered if you can be more specific about what is happening ( what you're reading about ). Is it bad design, poor lubrication or bad metallurgy? Do you have that info?

Your copper, lead and tin look just fine. I wonder if the problems are gradual or if you are hearing of sudden death because of breakage.

Hi dustyroads.

First of all thanks for your help.

It's about an engine model (in my case it's K9K 732 engine type) that is comon for Renault, Dacia and Nissan. Big end bearing shells broke suddenly in about 100.000 Km's to 150.000 km's.

Portuguese Renault makes an engine oil analysis at around 100,000 Km's in France but only to cars that do maintainence on the brand, that's no my case. If there are more particles in the analysis, Renault replaces the parts with no cost to the customer.

The new engines come now with different big end bearing shells, further strengthened.

It's bad design, poor lubrication, bad metallurgy, etc. Too many stories from customers and by the Renault but is sure what mentioned in the previous paragraph. I put new oil in 15.000Km 15,000.

There are reports of cars with this engine range that never gave problems and there are others who happens to 80.000 km's, 100,000 Km's ...

Do you believe that through this kind of analysis i can't discover any abnormal wear of any engine part?

It's a sudden death.

Hi Jorge, yes you can discover abnormal wear to some extent. Your latest sample looks good. No excess bearing wear noted.

I just meant that if the metal fatigues, cracks and suddenly breaks into pieces, then you may not get any notice. If metal is fatigued, it can break anytime without warning.

I would continue to test the oil, and hopefully you will catch a rise in bearing wear, but I'm not certain that you will. I hope so.

I would ask for guidance from an experienced mechanic, familiar with your engine. Sorry I'm not more helpful.

how much are the new shells, and how much for the oil analysis?

I'd opt to renew the shells anyway they cost peanuts usually, but I don't know if you can get the uprated parts from anyone but Renault. As been said, fatigue doesn't show, and to notice a trend for increased wear you need a lot of analysis.

Thanks again dsutyroads and Jetronic.

Jetronic,

The engine oil analysys and shippment costs are 25 USD

Replacing shells cost in Renault whit all parts an new oil, 530 USD. But the problem is not the money, is that i've some opinions from 2/3 mechanical that open the crankcase and replace shells may lead to future problems that may not otherwise exist.

Tow images with damaged shells:

velha.jpg

velha_1.jpg

That doesn't happen to all engines, my idea is too make 3/4 oil analysis and if the values stay normal i'll presume that is nothing wrong with the shells.

Last edited:
Jetonic,

replacing is an option, but i prefer monitoring the engine oil now. That's what Portuguese Renault is doing. Cars with abnormal parts in oil should replace shells.

Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back