Haas Formula

Status
Not open for further replies.
didn't see a thread on this topic,so
So Gene Haas, (Haas Automation, Stewart Haas Racing) Has been Granted a License to Start a us based F1 Team, starting in the 2016 season.
Today Haas Automation announced a sponsorship on Ferrari's cars starting with the British GP, and one report i heard today was they they had a Technical Partnership with Ferrari.

So, if his F1 Team gets their engines and tech from Ferrari, would Stewart-Hass stand a greater chance of switching to Dodge's should Chysler get back in to Nascar? (since Fiat owns both Chrysler and Ferrari)

just wondering aloud...

Penske runs Fords in NASCAR, and Chevy in Indy. Ganassi runs Chevy in NASCAR and Indy, and Fords in Grand Am. I would assume Haas will run his two operations independently also.

Super stoked that we're finally getting a US team in F1.
But as far as engines go.. they'll be sticking to Chevy for as long as they're running in Nascar.
Hendricks motorsports has quite a few Haas CNC machines in their shops that they use to make engine parts and chassis parts for their team and Stewart-Haas teams.

Good question. There are a lot of strange partnerships in motorsport, including F1, so I don't read too much into individual examples of sponsorships or partnerships. Of course, one needs to ask if Chrysler's going to get kicked to the curb by Fiat before then, too.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Aparently the downfall of FADAL has been good to Haas.

Yes it has

Originally Posted By: whip
Penske runs Fords in NASCAR, and Chevy in Indy. Ganassi runs Chevy in NASCAR and Indy, and Fords in Grand Am. I would assume Haas will run his two operations independently also.

Well there's no way Chevy or Ford are making an F1 engine so he won't really have a choice but to have new and separate partnerships.

Originally Posted By: gofast182

Well there's no way Chevy or Ford are making an F1 engine so he won't really have a choice but to have new and separate partnerships.

Why? I Think it would be fun to have a Chevrolet powered F1 car. Ford have made a lot of f1 engines in the past.

Weren't there rumors that Cosworth was getting back into the game? They built all of the Ford F1 and Indy/Champ Car engines and even built the Chevrolet IndyCar engines for a while. Maybe Chevrolet can put their name on the Cosworth valve covers.

Since Ferrari's engine is infamously down on power to everybody else's this year, maybe it wouldn't be such a good idea to use it. Will they be competitive by 2016? If they don't make big strides by the time the engine freeze takes effect, they may never be competitive in this formula.

Another possibility: Ilmor already builds the Chevy 2.2L turbo V6 for IndyCar and they have been successful in F1 in the past. This engine already runs in the 11-12000 rpm range that the current F1 engines run.

So much depends on marketing. If GM wants to market Chevrolet internationally, Haas F1 would be a good flag carrier, and it would be easy enough to pay Ilmor to design and build the engines and put the Red Bow Tie on the cam covers.

Chevy is not going to F1. If any Domestic auto manufacturer would, it would be Ford. They've gone all in with Eco-Boost, and as long as F1 is using turbos, it makes sense for Ford.

As far as Haas using an engine other than Ferrari, they're choices are limited. Mercedes won't supply more teams, Honda has said they won't do any other teams other than McLaren for the time being. Renault isn't a better option.

Originally Posted By: Garak
You won't hear me argue against that. Another player in the engines couldn't hurt, along with more North American involvement.

Yes, and I for one WOULD gloat if they (GM/Chevy, even if they were badged Ilmor powerplants, as A Harman suggested) were ever successful, as the Nippon Giant failed miserably in this arena.
wink.gif
34.gif

Well, we'll see how things turn out. I hope McLaren doesn't rue their switch to Honda, but their choices were somewhat limited. I'd be ecstatic if either GM or Ford got more involved in F1, or even Chrysler, but that's a different animal these days, since Fiat is already technically involved in F1.

All of them should get involved in other things. There's more to racing than NASCAR. At least Chevy participates in Le Mans.

Chevy is not going to F1. If any Domestic auto manufacturer would, it would be Ford. They've gone all in with Eco-Boost, and as long as F1 is using turbos, it makes sense for Ford.

Don't be so sure about that. Stewart-Haas is a GM team, and GM is an International company. GM probably wouldn't want to see one of their major NASCAR team owners running an engine in F1 built by a competitor (however, remotely related). There's probably more than one reason they're building a new Racing and Hybrid Development building at the Powertrain Center in Pontiac.

Don't forget that the main emphasis in current F1 is not engine power; it's overall efficiency of the hybrid powerplant. The Fuel flow limit keeps engine power to ~600HP, which is pale compared to the 1000HP+ from the previous F1 turbo era. Integration of the hybrid and thermal energy recovery systems and efficiency of the power control electronics are what makes the difference in competitiveness these days in F1.

And how does Ford's production of Ecoboost engines make it more likely they'll enter F1? Don't forget that GM produces the 3.6L DI V6 twin turbo and the 2.0L DI I4 turbo engines. Both of these make more power than Ford's Egoboost equivalents.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Don't be so sure about that. Stewart-Haas is a GM team, and GM is an International company. GM probably wouldn't want to see one of their major NASCAR team owners running an engine in F1 built by a competitor (however, remotely related).

Place a Chrysler sticker on a Ferrari F1 and see what happens.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back