Wix vs Fram Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Typical BITOG responses .... Start making comparisons and contrasts without knowing the intended appliation.

OP - what is your specific application? Do you have a known sludger engine? Did you buy the vehicles used in unknown or poor condition? Or, is everything in your garage tip-top shape? Until we know this, the debate is moot.

There are some examples here where "normal" filter would protect WELL past where most fear to tread, and performed well, despite all the rhetoric to the contrary.

I will fully agree that a $2 price differential is nearly moot in your wallet, if you'll all agree than all these top-tier filter converstaions are completely meaningless for "normal" applications.

The debate on efficiency is silly when there is no credible data establishing that minor shifts in efficiency mean anything whatsover. There is NO CREDIBLE PROOF yet to be shown where any SAE study or reliable article has shown efficiency matters past a minimal point. Once a level of filtration is made to be good enough, then achieving "more" has a VERY diminished (if not non-existent) effect in wear reduction. And looking at anecdotal evidence such as Honda and Toyota engines with their own branded filters shows that engine longevity is not directly manipulated by the efficiency above perhaps 80% or so. Whether you use a 95% or 99% filter at 20um will have ZERO bearing on the reasonable life expectancy of your engine in your O/FCI plan is typicall of most folks. And I again throw down the gauntlet and challenge ANY of you to PROVE that my claims are false. Being and SAE member, I've searched high and low, and cannot find that credible link. Having over 10,000 UOAs in my database, I cannot find a causational relationship. But by all means, go ahead and believe otherwise. Suck down that marketing cool-aide.

The conversation about capacity is stupid when probably 75% or more of that capacity goes unused in any normal application. Purchasing a filter that hold 25 grams versus one that holds 20 grams is ridiculous when your expected OCI may only generate 5-7 grams of loading. This is akin to standing in the WallyWorld aisle arguing about a 10 qrt or 12 qrt drain/catch pan, when your engine only holds 5 qrts. Is it really one's contention that having "more" capacity is important, when the "normal" filter is already over-capacitized for the expected application?

In short:
Why debate stuff about efficiency where no proof exists that it means diddly squat after some minimum threashold is acheived?
Why pretend that high-capacity filters have meaningful contribution when average normal filters hold way more than the typical OCI would ever present?

I'd have more respect for some of you if you simply said this:
"I want to buy top-tier products because it makes me feel good, and I know that my money is wasted, but I enjoy it."
Hard for me to argue about that statement. It's an emotional acknowledgement that facts don't matter. Fine by me.

BTW - Nick1994 - I find it hard to believe you "searched" and could not find this topic.
The filter efficiency claims already exist on the Fram and Wix sites.
The filter efficiency debate has been covered here ad nauseum.
18.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I searched but couldn't find what I was looking for.

I've never done a lot of research on oil filters, knew Wix was decent and have always used Wix oil filters. Well with all the talk here on bitog, I'm pretty sure I'm buying a Fram Ultra.

My questions- What is the efficiency rating for Wix? What is the efficiency rating for the Fram Ultra? 99% right?

I don't care about the $1.50-$2.00 price difference either. My car is the Wix 51394 and Fram Ultra XG4967

Also, When I search Walmart's website with the part number XG4967, it shows the Extended Guard which I know the Ultra replaced, so should I not get an Extended Guard from Walmart and buy the Ultra from Amazon?

Thanks

Both are good. If you want to go over 10k on an OCI then I would get the Fram Ultra. If not..the wix will do the job just fine. Save the $$.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
AS far as I'm concerned, neither 901' or Zee' know what the XP ratings really are. I stand ready to apologize. It's moot, however. This isn't about the XP and there is no debate that the FU offers the best bang for the buck. I won't use Fram and the regular line of WIX filters are excellent.

Both 901' and Zee' should get paid for their incessant chest beating over the FU.

Why do people have a hard time understanding Fram's efficiency statement on Fram's own website? Do you think Fram is going to make up advertised efficiency performance specs? Do you know how fast Fram would be slapped with legal action by other filter manufactures if they couldn't back-up their advertised claims? You can bet that other filter manufacturers test their competition's filters to verify they are indeed telling the truth.

I always express what's good and what's not good as viewed from my knothole ... just like anyone else around here. But I and others who know and dig into rated filter efficiency specs will reference manufacturer's publicized specs, as those are the closest thing to the truth you're going to find.

I'd like to hear someone explain to everyone what they think Fram's "> 20 microns" statement really means. You know that 21 microns is larger than 20, and 20.1 is also larger than 20. Motorking has chimed in many times on this and says that it basically means at 20 microns and above.

And as far at the WIX XP and NAPA Platinum filters, WIX themselves say the efficiency is 50% @ 20 microns. Many people have called WIX Tech Dept to verify this, and it's also published on WIX's website. Yeah, it's hard to accept, but that's what it is unless WIX or someone else can prove that their 50% @ 20 microns is wrong.

I would always support the company that hasn't tried to chince and cheat it's customers for decades by building a consistent, well-assembled product across their whole lineup, instead of supporting one that has always put out a shoddy built, cost-engineered product at the highest margin retail price.

Even if the chincer and cheaters eventually produced ONE superior* (*on paper,some restrictions apply, see fine print for details) product on paper in their entire lineup.

Using my dollars, I vote for WIX and their business philosophy, not Fram/AlliedSignal/AutokingInternational LLC/UniversalAutoGroupLtd or whatever multinational conglom that currently owns the dastard brand.

For my Camry, the Wix wins due to the FRAM Ultra being double the cost of the Wix.

I like the FRAM Ultra but can only see using them when I get them thrown in on an oil change deal at Advance.

I can't see paying $13(Walmart) to $17(Advance) for a disposable oil filter when the OEM's are $4.55 at the dealer and a synthetic Wix is $6.55.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Originally Posted By: Oil Changer

Both 901' and Zee' should get paid for their incessant chest beating over the FU.

I agree. I can't help myself.

When something is good, it's good. It is what it is.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
.The filter efficiency debate has been covered here ad nauseum.
Lots of new readers coming and going. If you're getting grumpy, don't read it. Problem solved.

Like I've seen Sears do for years, and heard this mentioned before on BITOG. Its simply the concept of "Good, Better, Best"

Good = Wix/napaGold & Fram ExtraGuard at 95% @20microns
Better = Mobil1 & Fram ToughGuard at 99% @20 microns
Best = Fram Ultra at 99%+ @20microns with even more crud-capacity (CC)

And in the Are-You-Kidding-Me Categories: Purolator/Bosch with tears, and Wix XP / NAPA Platinum with a dismal 50%, embarassing.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
For my Camry, the Wix wins due to the FRAM Ultra being double the cost of the Wix.

I like the FRAM Ultra but can only see using them when I get them thrown in on an oil change deal at Advance.

I can't see paying $13(Walmart) to $17(Advance) for a disposable oil filter when the OEM's are $4.55 at the dealer and a synthetic Wix is $6.55.

$13 at Walmart? My Walmart had all of their Fram Ultra oil filters for $8.97, except for the ones that were humongous, like I mean 5-6 times the size of my filter.
Wix filters are always $6.99-$7.49 at O'Reilly's for me.

166abkp.jpg

The title of this thread should be "Purolator Synthetic vs. Fram Ultra", a closer comparison. There the Fram wins by a nose, since the Purolator Syns are only good 99% @ 25 microns, Ultra does 99% @ 20 microns.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I don't know why you are so fond of the Wix XP when it isn't great at doing its one job... which is FILTERING! 50% @ 20 microns vs 99%+

It's the combination of the pictures somebody posted on this forum and the YouTube videos that NAPA has.

All the rhetoric that you and ZeeOSix are dishing out have no affect on me.
24.gif

I'm a hardcore NAPA Platinum fan. I'm sold!!
laugh.gif

I have always been of the impression WIX filters are 80% efficient rather than 95%. Maybe I am thinking of the Platinum.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I'd like to hear someone explain to everyone what they think Fram's "> 20 microns" statement really means. You know that 21 microns is larger than 20, and 20.1 is also larger than 20. Motorking has chimed in many times on this and says that it basically means at 20 microns and above.

Look at it this way: Guerrouj, the worlds fastest man, can run a mile in 3:44. I can run a mile in >3:44. In fact, I can walk a mile in >3.44. I can run half a mile, stop at Texas Roadhouse, eat a steak, go home and take a nap, then restart and still finish that mile with a time of >3.44.

My Bravada can do 0-60 in >2.4 seconds. My golf game averages >2 over par.

That '>' makes a huge difference.

Originally Posted By: Gabe

Look at it this way: ...That '>' makes a huge difference.

Exactly! That was a great illustration. So, if I have a mixture of particles from 20 microns up to marbles, it will trap 99%. That's a significant difference than all 20 micron particles! Trapping all the larger particles really increases their average.

Originally Posted By: stickybuns
We also have a placement in the What-The-H**L-That-Might-Just-Work category: Purflux
51mb-AtdFzL._SX300_.jpg

The anti-wavy-pleat folks aren't going to like this one bit ...
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Typical BITOG responses .... Start making comparisons and contrasts without knowing the intended appliation.

OP - what is your specific application? Do you have a known sludger engine? Did you buy the vehicles used in unknown or poor condition? Or, is everything in your garage tip-top shape? Until we know this, the debate is moot.

There are some examples here where "normal" filter would protect WELL past where most fear to tread, and performed well, despite all the rhetoric to the contrary.

I will fully agree that a $2 price differential is nearly moot in your wallet, if you'll all agree than all these top-tier filter converstaions are completely meaningless for "normal" applications.

The debate on efficiency is silly when there is no credible data establishing that minor shifts in efficiency mean anything whatsover. There is NO CREDIBLE PROOF yet to be shown where any SAE study or reliable article has shown efficiency matters past a minimal point. Once a level of filtration is made to be good enough, then achieving "more" has a VERY diminished (if not non-existent) effect in wear reduction. And looking at anecdotal evidence such as Honda and Toyota engines with their own branded filters shows that engine longevity is not directly manipulated by the efficiency above perhaps 80% or so. Whether you use a 95% or 99% filter at 20um will have ZERO bearing on the reasonable life expectancy of your engine in your O/FCI plan is typicall of most folks. And I again throw down the gauntlet and challenge ANY of you to PROVE that my claims are false. Being and SAE member, I've searched high and low, and cannot find that credible link. Having over 10,000 UOAs in my database, I cannot find a causational relationship. But by all means, go ahead and believe otherwise. Suck down that marketing cool-aide.

The conversation about capacity is stupid when probably 75% or more of that capacity goes unused in any normal application. Purchasing a filter that hold 25 grams versus one that holds 20 grams is ridiculous when your expected OCI may only generate 5-7 grams of loading. This is akin to standing in the WallyWorld aisle arguing about a 10 qrt or 12 qrt drain/catch pan, when your engine only holds 5 qrts. Is it really one's contention that having "more" capacity is important, when the "normal" filter is already over-capacitized for the expected application?

In short:
Why debate stuff about efficiency where no proof exists that it means diddly squat after some minimum threashold is acheived?
Why pretend that high-capacity filters have meaningful contribution when average normal filters hold way more than the typical OCI would ever present?

I'd have more respect for some of you if you simply said this:
"I want to buy top-tier products because it makes me feel good, and I know that my money is wasted, but I enjoy it."
Hard for me to argue about that statement. It's an emotional acknowledgement that facts don't matter. Fine by me.

BTW - Nick1994 - I find it hard to believe you "searched" and could not find this topic.
The filter efficiency claims already exist on the Fram and Wix sites.
The filter efficiency debate has been covered here ad nauseum.
18.gif

"Abrasive engine wear can be substantially reduced with an increase in filter SPE(MP). Compared to a 40 micron filter, engine wear was reduced by 50% with 30 micron filtration." (98% point) "Likewise, wear was reduced by 70% with 15 micron filtration." (SAE TPS 881825 p5 - David R. Staley, General Motors Corp. 1988)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back