95+ degree travel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a 1993 Suburban with a 200k, 350 engine. Got a trip from MT to NV next week, lots of up and down and going to be hot. Currently run 10/40w. With temps that high I sure would like to keep the oil viscosity up. Lots of mountains, etc.
I thought Lucas Oil Stabilizer but I see it gets no love here. Any other suggestions? Add a quart of straight weight to the oil change?

What think ye?

No. Do not use the Lucas. It's just heavy, detergentless oil.

I wouldn't be concerned about the 10w-40 in it. If it's that hot, make sure your radiator hoses are up to par.

Leave what's in there.

You will be fine with the 10W-40. If you're itchin' to change the oil before the trip, your choices are almost limitless. SAE 30 or 40, an HDEO 10W-30 like Rotella T5 or Delo. 5 or 15W40 HDEO, an HM 10W30 or 40...like I said, endless. Skip the Lucas. That's what I think.

I'll surely skip the Lucas.

You know as well as I do that the oil is going to be water thin after 700+ miles in that weather. I'd have thought a little straight weight would be a good thing.

Radiators, etc are good to go.

Last edited:
you will be fine. I drive in mid 90's all summer and never have a problem. Just make sure the radiator is clean and in good shape. The only concern I would have is if you are doing much stop and go driving which I would guess you are not.

Leave things alone. Take some extra coolant and oil with you, just in case, along with whatever normal emergency stuff you carry. The oil you are running will do fine.

Check your oil level daily during the all day driving runs. I prefer a morning and then mid-day oil level check, just to make sure.

Last edited:
If your cooling system is good you have nothing to worry about. Leave the Lucas at your local supplier.

No, it will be 30 or 40 grade thin depending on if you put 30 or 40 grade in after 700+ miles in that weather.

As others have already alluded, your brakes, cooling system, and other sub-systems are more important than what's in the oil pan; provided that you are using a quality oil, which I'm sure you are.

Originally Posted By: opus
You know as well as I do that the oil is going to be water thin after 700+ miles in that weather.

I'll surely skip the Lucas.

You know as well as I do that the oil is going to be water thin after 700+ miles in that weather. I'd have thought a little straight weight would be a good thing.

Radiators, etc are good to go.

The oil is not going to be water thin, it'll stabilize at some temperature and stay about the same visc at some point early in the trip. You may thin it a bit more with some heavy-footed hill ascents but you won't know how much unless you are tracking OP/OT with some gauges.

Considering that engine originally spec'd an xW-30 that the OEM would have done extensive testing with, and you've already gone up a grade from there, I don't see a need to be fretting about this.

Well then, thats covered.
smile.gif

Thanks for the input.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
No. Do not use the Lucas. It's just heavy, detergentless oil. I wouldn't be concerned about the 10w-40 in it. If it's that hot, make sure your radiator hoses are up to par.

+1. Forget the Lucas. Check your cooling system.

You did not indicate what oil you are using. At your next oil change, you might switch to a good synthetic (e.g. Mobil-1). It should be able to withstand any heat issues your engine might generate.

Your car is not air cooled. No need to change your oil or go thicker.

Just make sure the car's cooling system is in good working order.

Coolant...you're supposed to change coolant??
wink.gif

Synthetic, not with this many miles on it. It'll all end up on the ground probably.

Well then, thats covered.
smile.gif

Thanks for the input.

This thread is far from done
smile.gif
I would at least inspect the hoses and visually check the coolant.

Of course hoses have been checked and so on. I am going to change the coolant though. I think its overdue.

A 30-weight (5w30, 10w30) is adequate for a smallblock Chevy in any ambient temperature, providing everything is in good shape and it isn't needing to "band-aid" a problem like worn bearings or a weak oil pump. 10w40 is already overkill, no need for anything else. Especially Lucas Mucus, which can lead to foaming problems.

When operating in high ambient temnps (and 95-100 isn't what I'd consider "high" at all) its most important to focus on the cooling system- belts, hoses, radiator clean (both air and coolant passages), coolant condition, radiator cap, fan(s), and overflow tank, etc.

Does Lucas make anything for the cooling system? If yes, add it. That way you will *feel* comfortable.

LOL, all is good. Just changing the coolant now and I'll call it good.

[Mental note; next time remove thermostat to speed process].

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back