Continental Vs Goodyear Vs Michelin

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i have a 2009 Scion TC (purchased exactly 6 years ago) which just hit 43k miles. As you can see i baby my car and i use public transportation to work. That being said the stock turanzas are toast. actually running Kuhmo Ecsta supras on the back and stock bridgestones on the front

So that leaves me in the market for 4 new tires. After driving myself crazy i've basically narrrowed it down to 3 (tire size is 215/45/17)

Michelin Premier A/S : Via Sam's 128 per Tire

Goodyear Eagle Sport All-Season after current promotions at Sears $83 a tire

Continental TrueContact havent shopped this hard yet

I mean as of right now it looks like the Goodyears would win out of sheer price per tire but im not crazy about Sears automotive work. I will be getting an alignment and road hazard

HELP!!!

Last edited:
I would go Michelin.

For no other reason than they usually last well and are dynamically one of the best.

Though was very happy with the Dunlop BlueResponse tyres i out on the Clio.

Quiet and good in the dry or wet and more importantly the car is better on fuel, over several 1000 miles it appears to be on a steady 57mpg the old tyres were Avons ZV3s on the back and some Korean tyres on the front that i think were Kumhos of some description.

The only reason i mention the Dunlops is they are the sister company to GoodYear.

I have All Seasons on the Jag and they have worn well, 20k on them so far and still 6mm front and 5mm rear.

But they don't seem very good in the hot dry weather, they are safe enough but don't have the handling finesse of a summer tyre.

My first experience of All Seasons and i think going for proper summer tyres (preferably an eco tyre like the BlueResponse) and a proper winter is a better option.

In all honesty in London i can get away with just summers.

Let us know what you chose and how they work out for you

Check into Eagle F1 Asymmetric All-Season as well. For a few more dollars than Sport All Season, they offer considerably more dry and wet traction. They do have a bigger rebate which often makes them less expensive than Sport All Season in the long run.

Go for the Goodyear tires at that price. Looks like a decent US made tire. You likely don't need all season tires being in the sunshine state. I'd put a heavy weight on hydroplane resistance, though.

The wear rating on the conti's is impressive. Florida sun would probably dry rot them before you wear them out.

Michelin.

Had a nearly new (6 months old) Goodyear de-laminate after extended high speed driving; 100+ mph for >45min. That was some scary poo.

Michelin's have been excellent on my cars and my motorcycles. Excellent quality, grip, and longevity. Use with confidence.

For the price , I would buy goodyears. That's a really good price for eagle sports. I know that Mich last longer than GY, but it's hard to beat that price

They were horrible plus they're 240 a tire because they are oem and I guess people fall for it

My mothers Michelin Pilot Sports dry rotted and cracked within 4 years and 20K miles in Naples FL... At this time, I am not a big fan of Michelins. Her tread was cracked so bad it was starting to chunk off.

Originally Posted By: Fsunoles
So i have a 2009 Scion TC (purchased exactly 6 years ago) which just hit 43k miles. As you can see i baby my car and i use public transportation to work. That being said the stock turanzas are toast. actually running Kuhmo Ecsta supras on the back and stock bridgestones on the front

So that leaves me in the market for 4 new tires. After driving myself crazy i've basically narrrowed it down to 3 (tire size is 215/45/17)

Michelin Premier A/S : Via Sam's 128 per Tire

Goodyear Eagle Sport All-Season after current promotions at Sears $83 a tire

Continental TrueContact havent shopped this hard yet

I mean as of right now it looks like the Goodyears would win out of sheer price per tire but im not crazy about Sears automotive work. I will be getting an alignment and road hazard

HELP!!!

Normally, I would go Michelin-Conti-Goodyear on tires in this group. But not this time.

The Premier is a brand new model, replacing the wonderful Primacy MXV4, but with only 8.5/32" new tread depth. Until it gets a proven track record, I'd be concerned with tread life. It could be great for too short a time.

So I would go with the Conti first here. But for this one, I'd look at the PureContact Eco before the new TrueContact. The Pure Eco is a proven, excellent tire, that is unequivocally outstanding in wet conditions.

Pilot Sport A/S 3 is a good option if you don't drive that much. And the Pilot Super Sport is about the same price as the Premier A/S in your size.

Sam's...Sears...either one offer quality service?

De-link wheel alignment with new tires. Get the alignment if you need it. Get it done at a place that does a good job and gets you at the middle of the spec, not just anywhere within the range. The customer is always right--you're the boss until you give them your money--you state the alignment spec you want them to hit and have it written on the work order. Require a print out of the before and after alignment measurements, and if they didn't hit the factory spec in the middle of the range as you ordered, have them do it again.

I can't find anyone to do anything with the continentals

Looks like at the price I'm with the Goodyears plus I'm getting them to match a 3 year alignment for $110

I found a local shop that would do Michelin mxm4 for $125 a tire installed but they are not authorized and I'd have no protection if something happened

I'm one of those that thinks you can't go wrong with Michelin tires. So that would be my recommendation.

Based upon the experience I am having with the Continental ContiProContact tires that came on my Outback, the Continental would be my last choice. With only 22,000 miles on them, they are already down to 4/32" of tread life. That is lousy for any size, but absolutely terrivle for a 17" tire. And now that they are wearing down, they are also getting noisy. This is my first experience with a set of Continental tires, and it will also be my last.

So my vote would be first Michelin, second Goodyear, and third would be something other than Continental.

Originally Posted By: Fsunoles
I can't find anyone to do anything with the continentals

Looks like at the price I'm with the Goodyears plus I'm getting them to match a 3 year alignment for $110

I found a local shop that would do Michelin mxm4 for $125 a tire installed but they are not authorized and I'd have no protection if something happened

Is there no Discount Tire in your area? Are you in the Southern end of the state?

I've had good experiences with Continental (ExtremeContact DWS's on our Fit) and Goodyear (TPC spec Assurance Fuel Max's on the Cruze) tires, and heard enough good about Michelin to take a gander at whichever would be the cheapest out the door.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back