Got some Wal Mart tires - super cheap!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So without the disposable income for big rims and tires, sticking some 'touring' tires on the stock 15's remained the viable option.

Would have preferred 205/50/15 or something like that but that size is limited availability apparently.

Enter Wal Mart. They had a sale on tires, 195/60/15 seemed like the closest fit.

They were on sale last week so a 64 dollar tire was down to 55.77 each for "WeatherMaxx All Seasons". Not bad at all.

They are made by Korean tiremaker Nexen, in China. Looks like WalMart got a volume deal on their CP661's and renamed them to just "WeatherMaxx All Season"- the tires appear identical.

0002702_nexen-cp661.jpeg

I like them because of how the tread 'reads'.

Tires like the Conti DW with large, circumferential channels and a continuous center block have been getting rave reviews in the past few years, especially for hydroplaning resistance and noise.

NEXEN seems to have caught wind of this and have been "inspired" to do tires like the successful competitors.

They seem of reasonable quality, but I have even driven on them yet! The car is in the process of an engine conversion.

Only things to note is that the compound seems soft, therefore I expect prompt wear. Soft compound is good though ,for colder temperatures and I'm fine with that. Also seems light on the siping. Another thing is the soft, one-ply sidewalls. This is the most worrisome factor, as I'm not a fan of sloppy cornering, bulging and blowouts. The only consoling factor (aside from being dirt cheap) is that the 195/60s are H rated, while virtually the rest of lineup is T rated. At least the 195/60's should have a bit more beef to them.

Anyone else have experience with the CP661s?

I have never seen any of these at local Walmarts. However, they have to be better than the Douglas tires that are the bottom feeders I see people using. My goal is to never spend another dollar at Walmart or Sams Club on tires.

Let us know in 6 months how they are doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back