FL-820s with a big hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was bored this morning so I decided to cut open some filters I was going to take to the recycling center. I found about a 3/8 hole in the Motocraft FL-820s I took off my truck last week. It had just under 4000 miles on it. I was going to run it longer but since I am taking it on 2 long trips towing this summer I figured I would change it. I am really glad I did.
The hole looks like a cut tab folded back. When I get my camera back today I will take a pic and figure out how to post it.

Another thing that surprised me is how poor this filter looks compared to the FL-400s I just took off of my focus.

I may even take the new Motocraft off the truck and replace it.

FL-820s2.jpg

FL-820s3.jpg

FL-820s1.jpg

It's 10 months old.

Last edited:
Where it's torn it is folded back and tucked between the core and the media. I couldn't get a clear pic of that.

That't not from that filter. I just grabbed something to stop it from rolling of the board. If I was thinking, I would have used the right one from the filter to stop it.

That valve is from a Champ that came off my Ex-wifes car. That is a really cheap looking filter that was on the car way too long. I was comparing the Champ to the others from my car since they are the same. I used the same work space.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ElastoHydro
Fram Ultra great choice. Does Puro make MotorCrap?

Yes puro makes motorcraft. And motorcraft is not motorcrap, they're one of the best filters for the money.

Originally Posted By: volk06

Yes puro makes motorcraft. And motorcraft is not motorcrap, they're one of the best filters for the money.

I used to think that too. Now, if Purolator (DirtyOilLator) makes it, the game is changed. Purolator media problems are famous now. Media weakness could have ruined a once-great oil filter in the MC.

The industry needs to completely convert to exposed-media cartridge oil filters so consumers can easily see the media without having to lose a couple of fingers cutting these open (most people don't cut'em open). Obama, push that law thru congress, please.

Originally Posted By: volk06

What specs does Motorcraft have? How do ya know they are 'best'? Sure silicon ADBV is good, yet how well do they actually filter?

For the skeptics.
filters.jpg

FL-820s4.jpg

FL-820s5.jpg

Although you will just have to take my word that I didn't make the hole myself before taking a picture unless you have access to a spy satellite and are that interested in my daily activities.
smile.gif

Last edited:
That is a strange looking hole. I would expect just a tear if it happened during use. I'm thinking that hole might have been there before you installed the filter on the vehicle. It might have happened during the manufacturing process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back