Lucas SYNTHETIC oil stabilizer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a VOA done years ago of the Lucas Synthetic Oil Stabilizer, I will look for it and post the results once I find it.

G'day,

Although I have only used Lucas oil stabiliser a few times, I have had nil issues. Predominantly I use Morey's oil stabiliser, and have been for a few years now in my bikes. Initially when I put Morey's in my bike the vibration was reduced massively, so much so that the bike happily would rev out higher than before without the associated excessive vibration. I thought I might have been imagining the change, so I got rid of it, and put in my usual oil without additives. After an hours ride I got home and added the additive again and I have not once doubted it's effectiveness.

A type of proof I do remember is an oil change I did on the bike a year ago. Usually I empty my oil drain tray soon after it is out of the bike, in this instance I was lazy and left it over night. In the morning I emptied it into my old oil drum and noticed a thick oily coating where the oil had sat. It was oil alright, but sticky. I had to use degreaser just to get the stuff off! Normally when I empty old oil into my drum nothing gets left in the tray, I can usually wipe it with a rag and it's clean. This morey's stuck to the tray after 5000kms. Good enough for me..

00000310.jpg

morey_11.jpg

I would say its better to run liquimoly motor oil saver than lucas. Even if you ran it and LM mos2 you would have 1/3 qt left to add actual oil and it would be better than lucas. When I thought I needed an oil supplement long ago, I used a qt of redline sae 30wt and it filled my void. Lucas is awesome on door hinges and sewing machines; that is it along with lower oci.

Originally Posted By: HAWG4LIFE
I know the regular oil stabilizer is junk, but is this any better?

No.

What part of an oil formulated today is unstable and requires something so thick,and non-additized to compensate.
Try running non-additized oil is an engine and time its life with a stopwatch.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

No.

What part of an oil formulated today is unstable and requires something so thick,and non-additized to compensate.

LOL. Or requires Liqui-Moly? Quick answer? None.

Originally Posted By: GatorJ
Originally Posted By: Clevy

No.

LOL. Or requires Liqui-Moly? Quick answer? None.

Really.

I've cured gasket leaks with liqui-moly motor oil saver and gained mileage using mos2.

So do tell genius,considering they are additized,and actually do something how exactly do they compare to a non-additized,molasses thick additive.

If you can show me the exact same benefits just using a standard motor as I've experienced using liqui-moly then by golly I'll quit buying the stuff,til then how about sticking to the topic.

First of all, i would never use lucas.

However i do know someone who used it every oil change in his 3.0 ranger.

It went 750,000 miles before it burnt a valve. I attribute this to that tough 3.0 motor, hwy driving and regular oci. Not the lucas. I think it was in spite of the lucas.

Originally Posted By: Garak
How does LOS extend either?

You're in the group that keeps pounding the table for more viscous oil fill.

It makes whatever you run more viscous.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Originally Posted By: Garak
How does LOS extend either?

You're in the group that keeps pounding the table for more viscous oil fill.

It makes whatever you run more viscous.

As per previous discussions, it's an "additive" that "subtracts" from the percentage of active ingredients in the base oil.

To lose effectively 20% of your AW, FM, antifoam, PPD and the like by adding the stuff is a silly gamble.

When you could buy a 15W40 for less than a 5W30 with Lucas, or a 20W50 for less than a 40 with Lucas.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Like the guy at Autozone I saw grabbing two bottles of Lucas to go with his 10w40 high mileage into a 5w20 Toyota engine.

Clearly the gentleman just wanted the "MAXIMUM PROTECTION" available for his engine. Why take a chance with thin oils?

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Aren't you guys scared of running unstable oil? The other big oil companies haven't discovered the secret sauce for stable oil. Luckily a select few enlightened additive companies share their complex chemistry and vast technological breakthroughs with us consumers.

The secret sauce for stable oil is base stock.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

When you could buy a 15W40 for less than a 5W30 with Lucas, or a 20W50 for less than a 40 with Lucas.

People who run Lucas have hurt or worn engines. Off the shelf oil weights aren't gonna cut it. That 60 and 70 weight oil is very hard to find and very expensive.

Running a robustly additized oil and thickening with this stuff is actually excellent strategy.

Aren't you guys scared of running unstable oil? The other big oil companies haven't discovered the secret sauce for stable oil. Luckily a select few enlightened additive companies share their complex chemistry and vast technological breakthroughs with us consumers.

It's been years since I've spent any time on this board so I don't know who the identities of jokers in the current crowd; that said, I'm assuming this post is very much tongue in cheek.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Running a robustly additized oil and thickening with this stuff is actually excellent strategy.

You don't know what the ;eve;s of antifoamant are, as "robustly additised", all you can see are the Zn/P/Mo/Ca/Mg...no idea what the other stuff is, and whether it's increased at the same levels as the other additives.

There used to be tests on the front page if BITOG where BOB (the bob) shows Lucas in a gearbox, foaming up the kazoo.

Foam has less viscosity than any oil you are likley to encounter...and you just don't know.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
As per previous discussions, it's an "additive" that "subtracts" from the percentage of active ingredients in the base oil.

That, too. If I want a non-detergent monograde, I can buy that, and at a cheaper price than Lucas.

When I want to thicken my oil, I use STP as it is much cheaper than Lucas, and actually has some zddp. Of course I only use it in antique or beaters.

thumbsup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back