Low Mile 2008 Ford F250 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Switched to Oil Analyzers for the last two samples. First sample was actually taken Jan. 2013. 4-5k Miles or approximately 1 year between OCI. Motorcraft 15w-40 Diesel Oil. Amsoil EABP110 bypass is installed. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dave1251
If you are going to drive 4.5K a year, I would not change your oil for a min of two years.

I have certainly considered that, especially looking at the TBN. I just have a slight fear that an EGR cooler or the Oil cooler will leak coolant into the crankcase and it might go unnoticed for too long.

Originally Posted By: Jim_Truett
If you are going to drive 4.5K a year, I would not change your oil for a min of two years.

I have certainly considered that, especially looking at the TBN. I just have a slight fear that an EGR cooler or the Oil cooler will leak coolant into the crankcase and it might go unnoticed for too long.

Yes - that is the conundrum, is it not?

In large sump systems, the volume of an OCI makes for expensive events, and therefore annual UOAs are far cheaper and cost effective. When you get into sumps that measure their capacity in gallons, this is a no-brainer easy decision.

In smaller sump systems, it is "iffy" as to where your break-point would be. Most light-duty diesels like the Dmax, PS, ISB are generally at a break even in UOA cost vs. the dino oil OCI. In my Dmax, I can OCI for about the same cost as UOA, but I choose the UOA as a matter of experimentation and fun. I am on my third year of an OCI in my Dmax, and will sample again this fall. AS your 2008 is probably out of warranty, then longer OCIs with UOA confirmation are plausible. That is the decision I've come to for my diesels. I will note that those who use syns and still OCI at "normal" intervals, are wasting HUGE amounts of money; they would be better served to sample before making an OCI decision. It is, without a doubt, cheaper to UOA than dump PAO in the pan every year.

In gasser engines, with yet smaller sumps, it's just flat cheaper to OCI with dino, and perhaps the syn may be a break-even proposition. You'd have to know the exact costs involved. Some UOAs are cheaper than others; some sumps are smaller than others. Too much variation in the possibilities to make a one-size-fits-all comment here.

Regarding your UOA, I'd say no reason not to extend the OCIs. Test annually.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jim_Truett

You're wise to think that way. However, you can just pull a sample every year or so to monitor oil condition. You could try a suction pump for extracting a sample or get a drain valve (the popular name brand escapes me at the moment) to get a sample without draining.

In your case, your oil may go two or three years. This report shows a healthy oil.

With 4 gallons of oil and a FL 2016 filter the change costs right at $100. UOA from Oil Analyzers is about $20. Neither are a financial problem. I just hate throwing away good fluids. With a TBN of 6+ after a year and 4500 miles, I will leave it in for two years and ~10k on the current fill and UOA sometime in 2016.

I run Shell Rotella Ultra ELC, and watch the Degas Bottle level like a hawk. If I see the coolant level drop I will investigate then.

Originally Posted By: dustyroads
..or get a drain valve (the popular name brand escapes me at the moment) to get a sample without draining.

Fumoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back