Cleaning Engine Internals

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the general consensus about the best additive to help clean an older sludged engine? I am helping someone clean an older pushrod V8 with a carburetor that has a some sludge due to lack of use and a very slight lifter noise.

Would Auto RX be a good choice? Or maybe something solvent based? Maybe just run a HDEO? Obviously being an old engine I wouldn't want to damage any seals either.

Any opinions?

With the engine still in one piece and in the car, add 1qt of diesel to the sump, idle for 10 mins, replace filter, repeat. (As many times as necessary till the fluid stays clean.

If the engine is out/stripped then brake cleaner, pressure washer, autoclave, bucket full of nasty solvents etc..

I personally would not use diesel, or any other harsh solvent. I have (In the distant past, which seems to be where your project comes from) had good luck using Rislone to turn sludge into a drainable liquid, and also to work some magic on noisy lifters. You could use it with an HDEO, maybe a couple of short OCIs.

Why not try a product designed to help engines that are older and/or neglected: a high-mileage oil like Mobil1 HM or Valvoline MaxLife? Mobil is confident enough in M1 HM's cleaning abilities to say the first few OCIs should be short (3-5k) to deal with the crud the oil is dissolving.

There are lots of opinions here, but one is that cleaning that is done too rapidly via introduction of a solvent can do more harm than good as sludge and whatnot is displaced too quickly, clogging filters, oil pickup screens, valve lifters, oil feed lines, etc. I'd try the HM route and see if it worked before resorting to more drastic measures.

Originally Posted By: Danh
There are lots of opinions here, but one is that cleaning that is done too rapidly via introduction of a solvent can do more harm than good as sludge and whatnot is displaced too quickly, clogging filters, oil pickup screens, valve lifters, oil feed lines, etc. I'd try the HM route and see if it worked before resorting to more drastic measures.

I agree here; a too rapid cleaning can lead to blockage.

I have used ARX and it works as advertised, cleaning gradually over 1500 miles, so that would be how I went about it.

Using a known cleaning oil after a couple of ARX treatments would complete the job.

Any pictures of how much sludge?.
I strongly urge you to look through old threads on this ARX product especially the ones about posters being paid to promote this stuff.
After spending a lot of money on this product with zero results i would not buy another bottle or recommend it to anyone.

Look up some of my Honda engine cleaning threads about cleaning an engine. There are a few ways to do it and a few chemicals that may work better than others but there is nothing that is a one size fits all.

Originally Posted By: Danh
Why not try a product designed to help engines that are older and/or neglected: a high-mileage oil like Mobil1 HM or Valvoline MaxLife? Mobil is confident enough in M1 HM's cleaning abilities to say the first few OCIs should be short (3-5k) to deal with the crud the oil is dissolving.

+1 - MaxLife red bottle is all you need. A couple of 3000 mile OCI and then maintain normally. Avoid all special cleaning additives.

Originally Posted By: Trav

I strongly urge you to look through old threads on this ARX product especially the ones about posters being paid to promote this stuff.

FWIW I have received nothing from ARX except their product, at my expense.

After spending a lot of money on this product with zero results i would not buy another bottle or recommend it to anyone.

Look up some of my Honda engine cleaning threads about cleaning an engine. There are a few ways to do it and a few chemicals that may work better than others but there is nothing that is a one size fits all.

Perhaps your engine was too clean to benefit! I have used ARX on at least 3 used vehicles I purchased, and each time it worked as advertised.

Now that I agree with 100%!
smile.gif

Last edited:
So, who are the posters paid to promote it?

Only one I know of, who has no credibility given his multiple impersonations.

As for old postings. I have several that praise it over and over. Even one post that declares it miraculous.

Last edited:
I am an Auto RX client. I bought more than one, my own fault, I know.

When I inquired about a refund I was ridiculed both by email and online. A truly non friendly company and a product that we were unable to eke out even the tiniest benefit out of.

All this hoo ha about rapid cleaning is just that, baloney. I have used Kreen in about a dozen vehicles with fantastic results in all but one. The stuff works.

And the company backs it up with a no-quibble guarantee that they actually honor...

Some people have had good luck with autorx (like myself), others not. I believe there is a thread from dnewton where he got before and after compression readings and it certainly improved the #s.

I've taken aspirin to relieve a headache and it hasn't worked; that certainly doesn't disqualify it as a pain reliever when others ask for a recommendation.

We just had the valve covers off the engine (probably the first time in over 25 years) and the valve train had some sludge, which is what made me think have cleaning it up a bit. Overall, it's not to the point of being catastrophic, just it's not overly clean. Plus with the minor lifter noise I figured the engine could benefit from some sort of cleaning.

I used Auto-RX on an old Chev 350 I used to own, but I am not sure if it really did much. To be honest it didn't really need a major cleaning (it was a very high mileage engine), I did it more as a preventative when Auto-RX was all the rage on this board.

It seems that there is more apprehension around using Auto-RX now, and I am still not sure about using solvent based engine cleaners, especially on a 40+ year old engine with old seals.

Will a HM oil clean up the engine better than a HDEO? I am leaning toward just sticking with the gentle approach with high detergent oil and short OCI.

Originally Posted By: Kuato

FWIW I have received nothing from ARX except their product, at my expense.

Perhaps your engine was too clean to benefit! I have used ARX on at least 3 used vehicles I purchased, and each time it worked as advertised.

Now that I agree with 100%!
smile.gif

Everything that needs to be said about this product has been said many times over. No need to rehash it.
Search the old threads.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Some people have had good luck with autorx (like myself), others not. I believe there is a thread from dnewton where he got before and after compression readings and it certainly improved the #s.

I've taken aspirin to relieve a headache and it hasn't worked; that certainly doesn't disqualify it as a pain reliever when others ask for a recommendation.

You want compression readings) I can give all you want, how much of a difference would you like?
Don't ask me for proof. If thats the case show me his or are only certain people held to different standards?

Show me them on a recording compression tester if you want them to have any merit. I don't care who did it, if its not recorded by the actual tester its worthless.
No offense to you some people want to believe, show me the paper or lets stop the trash talk.

Lets see one done with this tool (or similar) and we can talk about compression reading results.
These testers are accepted by BMW, Mercedes, VW/Audi/Porsche, Dekra, TÜV, etc as proof for warranty work needed or completed repairs and are calibrated before use.
The card must be attached to the RO or they treat it as no proof provided. New cars use different methods also but this is the old standby.

http://www.motometer.de/recording-compression-tester.html

The one thing I know for sure is that Kreen is made by Kano Labs, a chemical company. I would assume that a company that has been around for a while and has professional credentials can come up with professional products that are tested and work.

But there is another thing I know-Trav here is a professional mechanic in Germany and I believe he is well respected at this website. He has used Kreen. I will take his word also that Kreen works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back