Seafoam in gas instead of Stabil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last night I came across a boating forum and people were talking about Seafoam being better than Stabil for storing gas. I've never heard of this before. Anyone with insights?

I guess since the ingredients are proprietary in both products, we will never know for sure. However, I heard that Seafoam is just kerosene.

Quote:
Stabilizes fuel. Sea Foam Motor Treatment adds volatility to fuel and slows down the rate at which that fuel loses its ability to properly burn. When added to fuel and the fuel is in properly sealed containers or fuel systems, Sea Foam Motor Treatment is a fuel stabilizer for up to 2 years. Always run the engine for a long enough period of time to assure the Sea Foam Motor treatment has been drawn through the entire system fuel system for complete protection.

Quoted from: http://www.seafoamsales.com/technical-information/gasoline-engines/index.html

Its not kerosene, you can read the MSDS.

Quote:
SECTION 2 - COMPOSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS
Ingredients CAS # Wt.%
Pale Oil 64742-54-7 40.00 - 60.00 N/Av >15000 mg/kg >5000 mg/kg
Naphtha 64742-49-0 25.00 - 35.00 N/Av >5000 mg/kg N/Av
IPA 67-63-0 10.00 - 20.00 17000ppm 4720mg/kg 12890mg/kg

From the MSDS with a slight edit to make it easier to read. IPA stands for Isopropal Alcohol.

You can read the whole MSDS http://www.seafoamsales.com/consumer-information/16.html

Ive never had a problem storing E10 gas for a yearin a sealed system if it was good to start - if you have a load of HOH (.2-.5%) in there you would get a ethanol-fuel phase separation pretty quickly.

I've used Seafoam for years both to keep my fuel systems clean in cars, trucks, motorcycles, lawn mowers, chain saw, weed eater, etc. and for fuel stabilization over the winter. I used Stabil over the winter for years before starting to use Seafoam about 7 years ago. Especially in my lawn equipment and stored fuel, I had a terrible time getting them to start in the spring, and often I had to drain the fuel and add new fresh fuel to them to get them to fire up. Since I started using Seafoam, I've never had any problem starting any of them in the spring, and my motorcycles, which get used year round, I've never had a carb or fuel problem in them. I add a few ounces to a full tank on my bike about once a month as a routine, and when I fill up my gas can for the lawn equipment, I add a few ounces to it also. The stuff just plain works, all the time. I have heard that Stabil can actually cause some gelling of fuel with some of the newer formulas, especially ethanol mixes, but I don't know if it is true. I know first hand that Seafoam works great for stabilizing and for routinely keeping the fuel systems clean.

this is an ugly bump but... stored my car for about a year now, would it be wise to use this in the tank?

Originally Posted By: kyoo
this is an ugly bump but... stored my car for about a year now, would it be wise to use this in the tank?

Have you tried starting it as-is?

Originally Posted By: strat81
Originally Posted By: kyoo

Have you tried starting it as-is?

no - i threw in some seafoam and techron and she fired up right away and is running fine. Back to normal after I burn through this tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back