2014 Hyundai Sonata 2.4 GDi

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
Hi all,

Just turned in our infiniti lease for a Sonata 2.4 non-turbo, purchase.

Recommended oil specs:
5w20 SM ILSAC GF4 (5w30, 10w30 are acceptable but the 5w20 takes top billing)
normal=7500 mi oci
severe= 3750 mi oci

This will be my car as I've handed over fhe SFS 2.0T (synthetic oil used) to the wife.
Driving conditions:
40 miles round trip hm-wrk-hm
70% city (but vast majority is 45 mph back roads w/ few red lights and little traffic except for 5 min stretch).

My preliminary choice is to go with the 7500 mi oci using a quality conventional or blend, SN 5w20 as Hyundai recommends. I know that many bitogers now feel the dilution topic is overblown...

Please, Your thoughts?

Last edited:
I have the 2013 and have been running 10w-30
PP in Texas without problems. I am using the oem filter ($6) as many have reported noise with other filters-- I haven't tried others since the Hyundai filter has good reviews. I have been doing a 5k-ish oci as when I got the car, everyone was talking about fuel dilution and I've been away from bitog for a while

Congrats on the new Sonata--if I were looking for a sedan, that would be my choice too. I am surprised you didn't go for 2.0T version since you already were familiar with it in the SFS--what drove that decision for you?

As for the oil, I'm a SOPUS guy and I still think that QSUD is the best deal going and Hyundai's seem to run well on it. In FL, you could run just about any weight in the approved range and the car would never know it.

Originally Posted By: Robster
Congrats on the new Sonata--if I were looking for a sedan, that would be my choice too. I am surprised you didn't go for 2.0T version since you already were familiar with it in the SFS--what drove that decision for you?

As for the oil, I'm a SOPUS guy and I still think that QSUD is the best deal going and Hyundai's seem to run well on it. In FL, you could run just about any weight in the approved range and the car would never know it.

Thanks! After driving the 190hp 2.4, we felt it was powerful enough, plus, just wanting something different.

Your preliminary choice is correct. The 5w20 will provide all the high temperature protection you need while also being light at startup. QS seems to be a popular conventional oil choice for these cars, might be worth a look.
Congrats on the new car...

Congrats on the new ride, i have an Optima with the same motor and Im running 5w30 QSGB. It seems to be running smoother than my Forte with the synpower in it. The Forte ran well on 5w30 MS5K on its previous OC.

Ill take a moment and share the experience my buddies and I have had with this same engine. Less than year ago both my friend and I bought a Kia Optima with the 2.4L GDI. He avgs about 15 K miles per year and im closer to 20K. Neither cars idle very smooth which is to be expected. Both engines appear to show very similar wear in patterns. At 5K miles, fuel dilution was pretty bad. The oil smelled very strong of fuel. He has 8K on his now. I just went out and smelled his oil and it has a mild smell of fuel. At 12K miles when i changed the oil in my Kia it still had a mild smell of fuel in the oil. Mine now has 19.5K on it and i just changed the oil this weekend and there was absolutely no smell of fuel at all.

I have another friend that bought a Sonata a month or two after we bought ours with the same 2.4L GDI in it. About two weeks ago we were talking at work and he said he is still smelling fuel in his oil. He has about 10K miles on here.

My two friends are running 5w20 in theirs. One is running PP5w20 and the other is getting it changed at dealer witch uses shell 5w20 semi synthetic. At first and second change, i used PP5w20 in mine. After the second change I switched to QSHP 10w30 full synthetic. It really sounds nicer with the 10w30 in there. Being i have so much 5w20 in my stash, ill stick to the 20W in the winter months and the 5/10 w30 PP or QS in the summer.

I bought my filters off ebay. There is a guy selling them in lots of 6 or 10. They are about 4 dollars each for OEM filter and new washers. No need to risk aftermarket filters for this price.

Last edited:
THANK YOU ALL!

Texican and jstutz in particular for sharing your experience
wink.gif

I got 70k on mine. Have used all three grades recommend in the manual. Car seems the most "peppy" with 5w20/30. I haven't noticed a difference in gas mileage.

I would (and do) use 5w30 since they allow it. Unlike Honda's and Toyota's, I don't recall seeing a particularly impressive UOA from a Hyundai/KIA on 5w20. IMO it's just a "me too" CAFE thing.

Sure they will run 200k on 5w20, but this is BITOG where we want the very best.

I have a 2012 2.4 and I have run all kinds of 5w20 and with all of them the engine was noisy and fuel dilution was bad. I recently switched to qsud 5w30 and engine is much more smoother and car seems eager to accelerate when merging on highway and yes I hardly smell fuel on the dipstick anymore.I plan to try royal purple hps next in 5w30 flavour and ill probably use a 0w20 redline or amsoil for the toronto winter.PS another thibg u need to do isdo a drain and fill of the atf at 40 or 50k.I used redline d6 works like a charm.

Hey KCJeep, I understand what you're saying but I dont think we have enough evidence that a vehicle will last longer on heavier than spec'd oil. I will probably try both, not sure. I also have the maintenance pkg but will bring my own oil unless QS or Formula Shell is what's used as bulk.

My neighbor owns a Kia Optima with the 2.4 and I asked him about fuel smell on the dipstick. He advised exactly as other's have here. FIrst oil change, he noticed it but not after roughly 8-10k miles. We took a wiff while speaking and the oil smelled like oil. He uses 5w20.

Kia 2.4GDI here.

No gasoline smell in the oil from day 1.

5W-20 @ 7500 miles works fine, but the engine is slightly quieter with 5W-30. I'll use the higher vis in summer and the lower in ski season. In Florida heat, the 10W-30 might be even quieter...listen to your engine. (And these engines engines at idle sound like a sewing machine, anyway.)

Hyundia/Kia puts their money behind conventional 5W-20 for 100,000 miles. It can't be too bad.... There have been some problems reported with certain brands of aftermarket oil filters. No reason not to stick with OEM.

Hyundai 2.4L
I'm running PP 5w-30 here in Calif. triple digit temps.
Doing 5k OCIs (easy to remember) and have not had to add oil during an OCI - in fact, it's still full at end of 5k.
Using the OEM filters too - good quality.

From the Owners Manual:

Engine oil viscosity (thickness) has an effect on fuel economy and cold weather operating (engine start and engine oil flowability). Lower viscosity engine oils can provide better fuel economy and cold weather performance, however, higher viscosity engine oils are required for satisfactory lubrication in hot weather. Using oils of any viscosity other than those recommended could result in engine damage.
When choosing an oil, consider the range of temperature your vehicle will be operated in before the next oil change. Proceed to select the recommended oil viscosity from the chart.

Engine Oil (2.4 GDI) - 5W-20 / 5W-30 / 10W-30

*1. For better fuel economy, it is recommended to use the engine oil of a viscosity grade SAE 5W-20 (API SM / ILSAC GF-4). However, if the engine oil is not available in your country, select the proper engine oil using the engine oil viscosity chart.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back