removing a drawer from Craftsman tool cabinet

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a new tool cabinet (last years model) and I need to get the bottom drawer to attach the casters. Would have been nice if the nuts were spot welded to the inside. Model #59624, black, and maybe 40" wide.

As luck would have it the directions are under the bottom drawer at the back. I tried pushing/pulling the obvious drawer track pieces.

I don't know about the newer ball bearing tracked drawers, but on the non-ball bearing drawer slides there should be some small triangular shaped tabs on both the rail and the drawer. The tabs interfere with each other preventing the drawer and slide from pulling apart.

I've used a small punch to push in the tab on the drawer; it'll give just enough without permanently bending to clear the tab on the rail.

It's a PITA (at least for me) because it's a three handed job.

Re-installing the drawer is as easy as lining it up and pushing it closed.

Originally Posted By: paulo57509
I don't know about the newer ball bearing tracked drawers, but on the non-ball bearing drawer slides there should be some small triangular shaped tabs on both the rail and the drawer. The tabs interfere with each other preventing the drawer and slide from pulling apart.

I've used a small punch to push in the tab on the drawer; it'll give just enough without permanently bending to clear the tab on the rail.

Thanks. But this is one they expect you to remove to get the casters installed. So I would assume it something you push/pull with your fingers.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: paulo57509

Thanks. But this is one they expect you to remove to get the casters installed. So I would assume it something you push/pull with your fingers.

I just took a look at my roll-away and the casters are fastened to the frame with 1/4" self-tapping bolts.

This video might help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaVAVlU6tZQ

There was enough slop in my rails where I didn't have to actually bend the drawer tabs. The tabs on my drawers are a bit different than the ones in the video.

I fished out the directions with some tape (sticky side out) and a clothes hanger.

My cabinet could have one of two drawer slides according to the directions.

On mine there is a tiny finger at the front of the drawer track. Push it up or down and that side releases.

I called Sears, they could not help and said to call a local store. I work at Sears in tools but had not seen this one before. They should have put the directions in a plastic bag taped to the drawer. They left it loose.

Looks like the same on I have. Mine has little black fingers that you pull on, then pull the drawer out. Of course you need to keep pressure on one side while you do the other side. Just fiddle with it. You will figure it out.

I have a real old Craftsman that has non bearing drawers with the little triangle tabs as mentioned. I have bought a Harbor Freight top and side box to go on top of my Craftsman box because they are such a good deal. So I have a black Craftsman bottom box, and a mat pebble grain red finish Harbor Freight top box. The side box is red gloss Harbor Freight now as well.

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
Looks like the same on I have. Mine has little black fingers that you pull on, then pull the drawer out. Of course you need to keep pressure on one side while you do the other side. Just fiddle with it. You will figure it out.

I have a real old Craftsman that has non bearing drawers with the little triangle tabs as mentioned. I have bought a Harbor Freight top and side box to go on top of my Craftsman box because they are such a good deal. So I have a black Craftsman bottom box, and a mat pebble grain red finish Harbor Freight top box. The side box is red gloss Harbor Freight now as well.

How on earth can you deal with mismatched tool cabinets/chests??

The real old Craftsman boxes I have at work. The black one like yours I have at home with the 2 Harbor Freight boxes. I Feel that the Harbor freight ones are a better deal. So I just ran with it. I'm more about function than looks. Did you get it figured out , or not?
Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: oilboy123

How on earth can you deal with mismatched tool cabinets/chests??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back